NASCAR stages road course test at Charlotte Motor Speedway

Somebody pointed out to me some time ago (could have been you) that there is something to be said for a skill set that enables a driver to wheel a heavy stock car with finesse. Changed my mindset. Then, watching them through the twisties last year, and on the gas to the hairpin sealed it. Very cool.

Pro road racers get in those cars and most of them are stunned how hard it is to drive a cup car quick. Way too much HP for grip with the throttle, and stomp the brakes too hard entering a corner and the solid axle rear end goes to jumping up and down. No forgiveness, no sissy traction control, no 4 wheel independent suspension, and a 34 hundred and fifty pound car. BTW on your biased list? You forgot both Penske's and the new little buddy that used to drive for the Wood Bros. I know how it is, I tend to ignore certain drivers because I just don't want to know. :rolleyes:

Pro road racers get in those cars and most of them are stunned how hard it is to drive a cup car quick. Way too much HP for grip with the throttle, and stomp the brakes too hard entering a corner and the solid axle rear end goes to jumping up and down. No forgiveness, no sissy traction control, no 4 wheel independent suspension, and a 34 hundred and fifty pound car. BTW on your biased list? You forgot both Penske's and the new little buddy that used to drive for the Wood Bros. I know how it is, I tend to ignore certain drivers because I just don't want to know. :rolleyes:

This is probably the most enlightening post about stock cars on road courses I have ever read. Well said. The first time I watched the cars through 7 in Sonoma, and then winding it up through the twisties was amazing. To be there in person, you almost feel the weight of the car. Driving something that heavy and powerful with finesse--just awesome. Additionally, I found that in person at a road course, you can see the differences in driving approach, talent level, comfort, throttle and brake, everything. Very cool. I have been to several Indy Car (CART in the day) races, but you cannot see the brilliance in those cars the way you can in stock cars. I went last year because Sonoma was the closest track to me. The plan was a one off. I knew within the first few minutes of watching that I was in trouble in terms of that being a one off.

Yeah, I should just stay away from an list of greatest anything. Way the hell too biased. Point well taken on Blaney.

If the race thread doesn't get a half a dozen it's a joke, can't believe Nascar would do this manufactured drama that will be disappointing. That is usually an indicator of a really good race.:D

Aww man, I was really wanting it to be 500 miles, make it a real marathon event, the longest road race in nascar at the track that has the longest race in nascar. Would of been cool, but I guess most people dont want the 7 hours of Charlotte.

Aww man, I was really wanting it to be 500 miles, make it a real marathon event, the longest road race in nascar at the track that has the longest race in nascar. Would of been cool, but I guess most people dont want the 7 hours of Charlotte.

I felt like NASCAR was making an obvious mistake with the length of this race. I was with you though. I was hyped on a super long lefty-right race. The lack of noise about the length gave me hope lol.

everything is a mistake, that is all some people see. :idunno:

What the **** are you talking about?

It was going to be a long race. I was hopeful it would stay that way. Now it’s as long as all the other RC races. What’s the problem?

I'm strongly considering going, my mom has a time share in Hilton Head the week before and week after that I'll be down there for some of and might plan my time around it.

i wish they would put in a jump and joker lap detour,
llike in GRC

I highly doubt there will be any real passing in the infield. Just like for the Rolex 24, they’re going to run high tire pressures and low camber for the banking on the speedway part as that is where the real speed and passing will come from. This means little grip to pull off passes on the road course section.

Basically I see it as the road course bunching up the field, and then the crazy passes attempted on the banking and chicanes. Should be exciting as I think rovals put on some of the best shows. It encourages physical driving through backmarkers and the people you’re actually racing for position

going to be a lot of passing under braking going into the infield in turn 1
Maybe before they added the chicane. Now they'll have to organize through the chicane if they want to make it out alive, and come out single-file through the S/F line. The chicane is probably where the passes will be.

Like a slightly wider concrete canyon street course, with high entry speeds. I can see why they expect a lot of damage.

They have sausage curbs set up on the backstretch chicane so there's pretty much zero room for error there too. Slight misjudgment and you're in the inside wall. Look at this ************:

Back
Top Bottom