NASCAR stages road course test at Charlotte Motor Speedway

I do hope that it's not too technical like Road America is which greatly inhibits passing. Actually think this idea is awesome, gonna have some serious battles on turns 3 & 4 on the oval coming down to that chicane

Instead of a goofy chicane, why not just have them use that original configuration but go the other direction. That would make what is normally turn 4 on the oval turn 1 of the roval. The race off the last turn to the flag stand could get pretty exciting, and it would have required minimal changes to pit road. The wall could be moved back a little at the entry (exit end on the oval), making it similar to the pit entry at Watkins Glen. Add a few stalls on the exit end (entry end off of turn 4 on the oval), and that end becomes your blend into the track from pit road. It could be very interesting to see the cars run on the banking of the oval going the opposite direction compared to what they run in the 600.

I do hope that it's not too technical like Road America is which greatly inhibits passing. Actually think this idea is awesome, gonna have some serious battles on turns 3 & 4 on the oval coming down to that chicane
Road America is one of the best road courses in the country for passing! Sonoma and the Charlotte roval are more technical for sure.

I doubt NASCAR would want the driver's side of the car up against the walls in high speed banked corners. Just a guess.
Not only that but for the most part the barriers/walls are set up to be driven counter-clockwise on (I'm not sure about Charlotte specifically). Walt Disney World Speedway had an incident during one of those driving experience things where someone died because they were running the course clockwise and a car got out of control and was pierced in the door by the end of a barrier.

Not only that but for the most part the barriers/walls are set up to be driven counter-clockwise on (I'm not sure about Charlotte specifically). Walt Disney World Speedway had an incident during one of those driving experience things where someone died because they were running the course clockwise and a car got out of control and was pierced in the door by the end of a barrier.
Okay, finally a reason that gets through my thick skull.

So make the necessary adjustments to the walls/barriers then. It can't be any more complicated or expensive than whatever the hell they are doing to screw it up now.

So make the necessary adjustments to the walls/barriers then. It can't be any more complicated or expensive than whatever the hell they are doing to screw it up now.
Why not just move the driver's position over to the right hand side of the car.

Problem solved.

Paving 1/3 of the tri oval infield is much easier than "reversing" every gate/entrance on a 2.4 mile road course. Safer too.

DKr48CHUIAIDfZL.jpg:large

What’s that random building in the infield of the roval? Looks like the course is coming together, hope it still fails but getting intrigued. Wonder how Indy Car would do on this
I'm going to guess the infield care center, media center, or restrooms and concessions building. I'd probably be wrong on all accounts.

Last edited:
more road courses the better. love seeing these heavy cars turn right and left.
Yeah baby. Not sure I get the wish for failure thoughts. I'd think that everyone that's a fan of the sport would want to see a good race. For me personally, I'm glad to see any move away from these original 1.5er configurations. I hope it's a success causing more original configurations to be created.

Yeah baby. Not sure I get the wish for failure thoughts. I'd think that everyone that's a fan of the sport would want to see a good race. For me personally, I'm glad to see any move away from these original 1.5er configurations. I hope it's a success causing more original configurations to be created.
I’d rather see them add tracks like Iowa or if you want road courses (real ones not a Roval)I mentioned those before earlier in the thread, when the current contracts with the tracks are up. Hey if Charlotte Roval turns out to be awesome I’ll say I was wrong and be happy about it, even if it is successful... you won’t be able to change my thinking on it that it’s a gimmick to fix all the other gimmicks they caused, there was nothing wrong IMO with the Charlotte Fall race.

Last edited:
I’d rather see them add tracks like Iowa or if you want road courses (real ones not a Roval)I mentioned those before earlier in the thread, when the current contracts with the tracks are up. Hey if Charlotte Roval turns out to be awesome I’ll say I was wrong and be happy about it. But this just screams gimmick to me to fix all the other gimmicks they caused, there was nothing wrong IMO with the Charlotte Fall race.

I'll second those thoughts.

Nice to see expansion instead of contraction. Nice looking track. So many short tracks are either closed and redeveloped or getting pressure from local haters and are without the revenue needed to continue to fight to stay open. Large monument tracks like this with the funds and economic impact in the community are what it takes to continue into the future for not only Nascar racing but other automotive and civic events. Can't wait for 2018, that track is going to have some barn burner racing on it.

Does anyone know If this race be at night or during the day? Could they run it at night?

This looks nice and all but as Ive said for a while now, this is gonna be DOA if there are no passing zones - which there looks to be none other than braking into turn 1 and coming out of 9.

so the whole banked oval part doesn't count I guess? and you have to add the bus stop for KDB fans, he thinks that is a passing zone :p

This looks nice and all but as Ive said for a while now, this is gonna be DOA if there are no passing zones - which there looks to be none other than braking into turn 1 and coming out of 9.
Lets say you're right, passing opportunities only at 1, 9, plus the new chicane. What's wrong with that? How many passing zones do you want? How many does Sonoma have? Watkins Glen? Based on the World 600, the Charlotte oval has zero zones for easy passing.

Nice to see expansion instead of contraction. Nice looking track. So many short tracks are either closed and redeveloped or getting pressure from local haters and are without the revenue needed to continue to fight to stay open. Large monument tracks like this with the funds and economic impact in the community are what it takes to continue into the future for not only Nascar racing but other automotive and civic events. Can't wait for 2018, that track is going to have some barn burner racing on it.

Enjoy the 36 race schedule and 3 main series while you can as unless there are significant changes contraction has to happen.

more road courses the better. love seeing these heavy cars turn right and left.
Esp. ones where you can see the entire course.
Having said that, I've seen go-cart tracks with more maneuver room and braking / passing zones than that infield. But I'm still planning on getting tickets.

Indy cars can deal with narrow tracks with tight turns much better than stock cars can.

They have already imagined how to get less than 2 million fans to watch a race so anything is possible.......:)
I am not sure what you're talking about as no doubt that TV, legal streamers, illegal streamers, and fans in attendance make up more than 2 million people!

As for Charlotte I really do believe NASCAR is onto something here. It would not surprise me if in due time it is regarded as one of the best road races on the planet. The circuit design just looks impeccable.

I am not sure what you're talking about as no doubt that TV, legal streamers, illegal streamers, and fans in attendance make up more than 2 million people!

As for Charlotte I really do believe NASCAR is onto something here. It would not surprise me if in due time it is regarded as one of the best road races on the planet. The circuit design just looks impeccable.

It is hard to believe that so few people consume Nascar product these days but it sounds like this new layout at Charlotte could be a cure all. Fingers crossed!

It is hard to believe that so few people consume Nascar product these days but it sounds like this new layout at Charlotte could be a cure all. Fingers crossed!
'Cure all'..... highly doubtful. A great change of pace..... In my book it is. It is going to have a lot more entertainment value that the original configuration ever could.

To the blah, blah, blah, run it on a real road course contingent..... Sure, that's what most everyone here would want to see, including me. Not going to happen unless one of the current track owners or track owning conglomerate purchases a designed road course and swaps their date. That would be great.

In the meantime a new configuration is being added to the schedule in the place of a 1.5er. That's a big plus to a stagnate schedule.

'Cure all'..... highly doubtful. A great change of pace..... In my book it is. It is going to have a lot more entertainment value that the original configuration ever could.

To the blah, blah, blah, run it on a real road course contingent..... Sure, that's what most everyone here would want to see, including me. Not going to happen unless one of the current track owners or track owning conglomerate purchases a designed road course and swaps their date. That would be great.

In the meantime a new configuration is being added to the schedule in the place of a 1.5er. That's a big plus to a stagnate schedule.

I am interested in seeing how the race goes and am really excited that there will be one less 1.5 mile track.

To it's credit I was looking at road courses lengths. It is on par with the Indy road course, but I guarantee it will race better. It is .1 miles smaller than the Daytona roadie and there have been some great races there over the years. The Charlotte track is about in the middle length wise comparing all of the existing working road courses in the U.S. With what they have learned over the years about building and designing racing courses, I can't see it being a flop. Never can tell the future IMSA and IndyCars could be using it soon.

To it's credit I was looking at road courses lengths. It is on par with the Indy road course, but I guarantee it will race better. It is .1 miles smaller than the Daytona roadie and there have been some great races there over the years. The Charlotte track is about in the middle length wise comparing all of the existing working road courses in the U.S. With what they have learned over the years about building and designing racing courses, I can't see it being a flop. Never can tell the future IMSA and IndyCars could be using it soon.
Interesting. I didn't know the course specifics.

I'm just interested in something different. This fits that bill nicely.

I'd trot up there to see either of those series. That's much closer than either one runs near me now (Road Atlanta and St. Pete, respectively, I believe).

Back
Top Bottom