Discussion: Good old days vs. new style racing

Whether we agree with their logic or not, it appears that is exactly what a LOT people are doing, and it's NOT a good thing. I think sometimes when you are as closely invested in something like almost all of us on this forum are, it becomes hard to see how it is perceived by those with a more casual interest, and those are the people that make the difference between 50,000 people in the seats and 100,000. There are seldom enough hard core fans of anything to sustain it by themselves. Whether you agree or not, the vast majority of the people I know are just not as interested in the sport today as they were 15-20 years ago. Even if it's not NASCAR's fault, it IS their problem.
I have been a hardcore fan since I was a kid, I turn the channel all the time now, I don't waste my time watching a bad product, just like I don't waste my time watching a bad movie.

I'm going to take an educated guess it is Charlie Glotzbach, first guy to go 200 in a cup car. .

WRONG! :) That is Bobby Issac in the Krauskopf K&K Insurance car. Nord Krauskopf and I share the same hometown and K&K is 4 miles from my house. My wife actually worked for them for a few years.

WRONG! :) That is Bobby Issac in the Krauskopf K&K Insurance car. Nord Krauskopf and I share the same hometown and K&K is 4 miles from my house. My wife actually worked for them for a few years.
Ok welI know Buddy Baker, Charlie, and Petty drove them. Charlie tested them and on a test, hit 243mph.

I've been racing for 30 years, this IS racing no matter how much you try to piss on it.
I guess because you are a new member here I have just started noticing your posts, but you seem to have a lot of knowledge about racing and I get the vibe that you have worked on or are working on a racing team. I'm just curious, but if so which teams and what positions have you filled? I looked at you profile page but it doesn't have very much info.

I guess because you are a new member here I have just started noticing your posts, but you seem to have a lot of knowledge about racing and I get the vibe that you have worked on or are working on a racing team. I'm just curious, but if so which teams and what positions have you filled? I looked at you profile page but it doesn't have very much info.
That might be information he'd just as soon not be public. You might exchange Private Messages.
:)

I know him. He's real.

IDK what a nostalgic lifestyle fan is anymore than what an edgy or Monster lifestyle fan is but they both sound like phrases that would roll off Brian France's tongue with ease. Some people think that those that like the Nascar of yesterday are just simpletons with bad memories while others can't believe that anyone would like the shyte that passes as racing today.

My answer to people that agree with Brian France and say the racing has never been better than today is that I am happy for them but the general public that vote with their wallets, eyeballs and feet are in sharp disagreement. Money is leaving the series like rats leaving a sinking ship and new rules are coming even faster. TV ratings will be off another 10% or so this year and the tracks continue to rip out seats.

Excuses are made that young people don't like Nascar due to short attention spans but I think that is ridiculous as they can hole up an entire day binge watching a program on Netflix. What that tells me is that young people can concentrate for long periods if you give them programming that they find entertaining and compelling. Anyone in Nascarland listening?

What we think and what we think of each other and our motivations are great fun to hit each other over the head with but it doesn't change that fact that Nascar is in trouble. I didn't say Nascar was dying or going to die so please don't say that I did. The trouble is that no one knows how to fix the trouble Nascar is in and less people consume the series each year.

I've worked with many many teams and drivers starting with Late Models at Myrtle Beach Speedway with Charles Powell III (during the Dale Earnhardt Jr days), Hooters Pro Cup with Jason Sarvis, Jay Fogleman, Steve Christian, all the way to Cup with Jimmy Spencer and then doing K&N stuff with development drivers. Did just about everything you can on the car (except engine stuff) but my Primary Job is Spotter.

That might be information he'd just as soon not be public. You might exchange Private Messages.
:)
I used to keep it private but Im not under any contract and just doing journeyman stuff now but thanks for saying that.

No it isn't. ..what can be adjusted is far more limited than even 5 years ago, and now talk of a special engine...come on this isn't a Mod Lite, this is Cup. If you can't afford engines you don't belong in racing at this level. Cup is most certainly in the realm of an Iroc series, spec bodies, suspension, gearing, if it survives another 5 years it will be completely spec.
lol

Whether we agree with their logic or not, it appears that is exactly what a LOT people are doing, and it's NOT a good thing. I think sometimes when you are as closely invested in something like almost all of us on this forum are, it becomes hard to see how it is perceived by those with a more casual interest, and those are the people that make the difference between 50,000 people in the seats and 100,000. There are seldom enough hard core fans of anything to sustain it by themselves. Whether you agree or not, the vast majority of the people I know are just not as interested in the sport today as they were 15-20 years ago. Even if it's not NASCAR's fault, it IS their problem.
I kinda believe in the theory that if you tell enough people to stop watching or turn the channel.....you’ll run out of people to tell stop watching or turn the channel.

I have been a hardcore fan since I was a kid, I turn the channel all the time now, I don't waste my time watching a bad product, just like I don't waste my time watching a bad movie.
But you do waste your time trying to change peoples opinion to match your own.
My advice would be to leave all racing forums etc. and concentrate on finding what makes you happy. get rid of the stress.

But you do waste your time trying to change peoples opinion to match your own.
My advice would be to leave all racing forums etc. and concentrate on finding what makes you happy. get rid of the stress.
Wtf..that's funny right there. ..but don't quit your day job. I'm not stressed in the least, just putting my pinion out there like you dude,but you seem to have a problem with that!

I've worked with many many teams and drivers starting with Late Models at Myrtle Beach Speedway with Charles Powell III (during the Dale Earnhardt Jr days), Hooters Pro Cup with Jason Sarvis, Jay Fogleman, Steve Christian, all the way to Cup with Jimmy Spencer and then doing K&N stuff with development drivers. Did just about everything you can on the car (except engine stuff) but my Primary Job is Spotter.
Thanks for the info that is quite a resume.

Wtf..that's funny right there. ..but don't quit your day job. I'm not stressed in the least, just putting my pinion out there like you dude,but you seem to have a problem with that!
I have no problem with any of it. Of course I have asked for and would like the option of putting threads on hold just like we can certain posters. But if you hate Nascar racing so much you don't watch it, why complain? If you were watching the races, then you have the right to voice your opinions. Of course if your not watching, On What Do You Base Your Opinions?????????

I have no problem with any of it. Of course I have asked for and would like the option of putting threads on hold just like we can certain posters. But if you hate Nascar racing so much you don't watch it, why complain? If you were watching the races, then you have the right to voice your opinions. Of course if your not watching, On What Do You Base Your Opinions?????????
I watched....what I saw sucked...so what's your point?

Friends, some of you seem, at least to me, are on the edge of a pissing match.
Please, don't let this go too far.
Don't get me wrong --- I'm not saying you can't argue and discuss. Just don't let it get personal.

You are spot on and while I understand some people being frustrated and telling others to switch the channel it is really cavalier and shortsighted for the reasons you mentioned.

Tell me how these cars, the racing, the overall product is better than it was 5 years ago?
1. Drivers cruising for 300 laps, not so much with stage racing.
2. HMS was dominating and if someone races JG there was hell to pay. Nascar would make special compensation to make sure he was in the chase, even if it meant bankrupting a team. He would actually come back on the track laps down and take out a car that was racing against one he owns for the championship. That was later repeated by another driver senior driver who thought no one should race him. Of course he has no ride next year so I guess he gets what he wants, no competition.
5 years ago the track was filled with these privileged drivers, only a couple left now, the competition has arrived in the form of hungry cheaper drivers.

1. Drivers cruising for 300 laps, not so much with stage racing.
2. HMS was dominating and if someone races JG there was hell to pay. Nascar would make special compensation to make sure he was in the chase, even if it meant bankrupting a team. He would actually come back on the track laps down and take out a car that was racing against one he owns for the championship. That was later repeated by another driver senior driver who thought no one should race him. Of course he has no ride next year so I guess he gets what he wants, no competition.
5 years ago the track was filled with these privileged drivers, only a couple left now, the competition has arrived in the form of hungry cheaper drivers.

come to think about it, I haven't heard much about "the driver code" recently..I think it was on the tip of Hamlin's tongue but I think he thought better of it and used some other lame azz excuse. :p

Loss of front downforce caused by turbulence has always been there.

Always as in always.

But the ability to pass and draft by the lead car due to aero push is worse than it was 5 years ago.
There's a reason for that.

Increases in velocity are squared in every aerodynamic equation. As velocity increases, aerodynamic effects are amplified, including the production of turbulent air spilling off the back of a leading car.

The only way to reduce the effect is to reduce velocity.

There's a reason for that.

Increases in velocity are squared in every aerodynamic equation. As velocity increases, aerodynamic effects are amplified, including the production of turbulent air spilling off the back of a leading car.

The only way to reduce the effect is to reduce velocity.
Thanks for making my long standing point very relevant that cars need slowing down.

Just the facts.

In this case, there is no other way to make any point.

Back
Top Bottom