NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by dpkimmel2001, Jan 31, 2018.

1. aunty dive

aunty dive Team Owner

Negativity feeds on itself.

2. Turtle84

Turtle84 Slow is Fast

Meh. Care but don't care. It's a small snapshot of the entire picture with the evolution of watching online content. But, at least is comparable to past year's of using the same system.

3. mack

mack Team Owner

Yep, kinda like people posting on a NASCAR discussion forum, yet claiming they never watch the races. Down right peculiar, Wouldn't ya think?

LewTheShoe and Spotter22 like this.
  4. Towmater

Towmater Ratings Craterville

We must take sides...Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.

5. Towmater

Possibly the tormentor was vanished? :)

6. mack

mack Team Owner

Deep thoughts there
    Deep thoughts there. I'm firmly on the side of NASCAR fans. I love the stuff. Not gonna stop loving it. If it ever ceases, I'll watch reruns from now on. I'm an unapologetic apologist. Wears myself some rose colored glasses. Numbers are looking better, even if ever so slightly. Better is better, sure ain't worse. (My deep thoughts). So keep on harping on all the bad and posting pics in the race discussion thread, people see right through you.

7. Towmater

@mack - Did you see through the 10+ years of things NASCAR did that caused the downturn in attendance and TV ratings?

I'm saddened that a once great sport that seemed to be on its way to challenging the NFL now has tracks that sold out 50+ races struggling to put 35,000 people in the seats. My approach seems to threaten you. Oh, well.

8. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

sure ya are sad man. I understand, the struggles will continue, and the series will continue to barely keep their head above the water with total revenues of over 150 million up from last year. #whistlingInTheDark

9. mack

mack Team Owner

Threatened????? By you???? Hahahahaha....u a funny guy.....made my day. NASCAR rules!!!

10. aunty dive

aunty dive Team Owner

Back to topic ...

Is anyone up to speed on the current value of the Nielsen Ratings System to traditional broadcasters? The way Nielsen “counts” makes me think Abacus.

Turtle84 likes this.
  11. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

He's sad that Brian France's pipe dream of challenging the NFL, whatever the hell that means, didn't pan out. What's the appropriate response? I'm sorry for your loss?

Meanwhile racing fans are still around watching the racing, or maybe some of them moved on to other racing. The NFL wanna-be-ers are definitely gone. If that's your bag, you missed last call years ago.

Joker, LewTheShoe and mack like this.
  12. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

Articles such as this one suggest that the industry at large recognizes the Nielsen system and methods are archaic, but there has been a failure to adopt new unified standards. Instead content providers have gone in-house and developed their own measurements to share directly with advertisers.

However, that framing pertains mostly to entertainment television for which viewing habits have changed radically. Live sports and news are exceptions, and the vast majority of viewers of those still watch live and linearly.

https://variety.com/2017/tv/features/nielsen-total-content-ratings-1202027752/

aunty dive and Turtle84 like this.
  13. Towmater

What? The guy who was quoting and posting Bob Ross styled deep thoughts wants to get us all back on track? OK, it is your world. :)

BTW, it is still working. :)

14. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

I'm not sure but I recently became a "Nielsen Household" and have gotten regular surveys over the last few months. The odd thing is, and I cant believe they do this, they send you cash money in your letter. Really cash? Ive gotten everything from two crisp 1 dollar bills and a 5 dollar bill as a thank you. Just recently I got one for a radio survey that was a 4 day diary and they paid 10 bucks for that, sent me 2 so I cleaned up lol.

15. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

I was about to ask if anyone here was part of a Nielsen household. Wow, that's interesting.

Spotter22 and aunty dive like this.
  16. aunty dive

aunty dive Team Owner

Not you.

17. Turtle84

Turtle84 Slow is Fast

Looks like we found out why the ratings leveled off, Spotter has like 250 tv's.

mack, StandOnIt, Spotter22 and 2 others like this.
  18. Kiante

Kiante Team Owner

Three TVs and a tablet.

Guilty as charged, but I love it.

Spotter22 and Turtle84 like this.
  19. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

:banned:

Turtle84 likes this.
  20. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

Ignoring doesn't mean reading every post and then acknowledging it while avoiding all substance. That's called ducking.

Regarding your sadness, how difficult is it to see through the tears as you scour Twitter during races for photos of sparsely populated grandstands?

21. MikeInIllinois

MikeInIllinois Team Owner

The year to year comparisons from this point of the season:
    Cup: still running up 7.0%
    Xfinity is down 13.2%

This puts us at 9 weekends into the season (1/4 complete) and the season's first off weekend. This makes for a perfect "what you see, is what you get" juncture. The trend that has developed through the first 9 weeks is probably what it's going to look like at the end of the season as well. I don't foresee much more change. Cup & the Truck Series will run in the 5 to 10% positive range, and Xfinity will continue to be on the negative side. We're getting deep enough into the season that there would have to be several huge differences between this year and last year to swing each series in the opposite direction.

AuzGrams, Joker and LewTheShoe like this.
  22. Towmater

Yep, still working. Gotta love it! :)

23. Towmater

We are back to NASCAR's revenues and ignoring the fact that I've never stated NASCAR was going out of business. Yep, the ol' bait and switch from you once again. Psst, my posts have been about the poor management over the last 10+ years and in this thread running off 1/2+ of the viewers.

24. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

if you would read what I wrote and comprehend it, you would see I didn't say that either.

Spotter22 likes this.
  25. mack

mack Team Owner

Not wanting to stir up Kyles fans, but I do wonder if his presence in Xfinity is hurting the series. I've said it, and I'll say it again, he's one of the best. Can't deny that. I enjoy the lower series much more when he's not competing there. I'm surprised the Xfinity numbers are down that much. There has been some outstanding races this year in all three series.

Joker likes this.
  26. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

I sure thought it also. Time will tell if the Xfinity number goes up.

27. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

I'm not overly surprised that the NXS ratings are down and Truck Series is up. Truck Series is a much more compelling product than the Xfinity Series at this point in terms of drivers, talent, etc.

Joker likes this.
  28. Mispeedway15

Mispeedway15 Team Owner

You know I haven’t watched a single xfinity race this year? Personally have little interest in the series, racing seems really boring

29. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Las Vegas had good racing in person (IDK about TV), Richmond & Texas were good on TV. I thought Bristol was kinda meh even for a Dash4Cash/No Cup guys.

I feel the Xfinity Series would be better without Cup owners involved like how the Truck Series is now. I understand the logic behind Xfinity behind Cup lite a little bit, but they gotta add a few more tracks and create their own identity some too.

30. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

last weekend's racing

Spotter22 and Ventisca like this.
  31. mack

mack Team Owner

NASCAR is still king of the motor racing hill. Nothing else comes close. Boogity, boogity, boogity

Joker and Spotter22 like this.
  32. Towmater

You wrote that NASCAR was making money. Wow, the same ol' thing you've been trying to baiting and switch the conversation to for months. What you fail to see is that they'd be making more money if they put more people in the stands. Course, that would mean that they'd have to stop ripping those seats out in their failed attempt to make it look like the tracks are filled for the TV viewers and advertisers. You know like Richmond that used to have 110,000 seats and now has 45% less than that and can't fill the place. Maybe you can tell me that Richmond was a sellout too in an attempt to sell me something else. :)

33. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

sorry that bothers ya so man. Cheer up, Nascar is doing well. you ought to watch some races some time, it's a good show.

AuzGrams likes this.
  34. Towmater

Psst, it bothers me that NASCAR lost 1/2 of the fans that used to watch it.

35. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

that's something you can aspire too, fan counter..it's something. I watch the races myself.

AuzGrams and LewTheShoe like this.
  36. mack

mack Team Owner

Richmond was some great racing, as was Bristol. It's all been great this year with the exception of Fontana. Ratings are headed in the right direction, so why are you so threatened by optimistic post about NASCAR? You really seem angry about good news and people enjoying the sport. How long have you felt this way? You need a hug?

37. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

Bothers you? What does that have to do with racing?

LewTheShoe and mack like this.
  38. Joker

Joker #1 Harvick Fan

Watching the Pacers-Celtics game right now. It's a horrific dumpster fire of a series so far, but NBA fans have fun and take the piss out of bad games rather than cry the sky is falling. Some NASCAR fans should do the same.

39. aunty dive

aunty dive Team Owner

Adapt ... or is your level of angst simply overwhelming?

Joker, mack, AuzGrams and 3 others like this.
  40. aunty dive

aunty dive Team Owner

Nothing.

He is not here for that.