NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

We must take sides...Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.

Deep thoughts there
Deep thoughts there. I'm firmly on the side of NASCAR fans. I love the stuff. Not gonna stop loving it. If it ever ceases, I'll watch reruns from now on. I'm an unapologetic apologist. Wears myself some rose colored glasses. Numbers are looking better, even if ever so slightly. Better is better, sure ain't worse. (My deep thoughts). So keep on harping on all the bad and posting pics in the race discussion thread, people see right through you.

@mack - Did you see through the 10+ years of things NASCAR did that caused the downturn in attendance and TV ratings?

I'm saddened that a once great sport that seemed to be on its way to challenging the NFL now has tracks that sold out 50+ races struggling to put 35,000 people in the seats. My approach seems to threaten you. Oh, well.

@mack - Did you see through the 10+ years of things NASCAR did that caused the downturn in attendance and TV ratings?

I'm saddened that a once great sport that seemed to be on its way to challenging the NFL now has tracks that sold out 50+ races struggling to put 35,000 people in the seats. My approach seems to threaten you. Oh, well.

sure ya are sad man. I understand, the struggles will continue, and the series will continue to barely keep their head above the water with total revenues of over 150 million up from last year. #whistlingInTheDark

Threatened????? By you???? Hahahahaha....u a funny guy.....made my day. NASCAR rules!!!

Back to topic ...

Is anyone up to speed on the current value of the Nielsen Ratings System to traditional broadcasters? The way Nielsen “counts” makes me think Abacus.

He's sad that Brian France's pipe dream of challenging the NFL, whatever the hell that means, didn't pan out. What's the appropriate response? I'm sorry for your loss?

Meanwhile racing fans are still around watching the racing, or maybe some of them moved on to other racing. The NFL wanna-be-ers are definitely gone. If that's your bag, you missed last call years ago.

Back to topic ...

Is anyone up to speed on the current value of the Nielsen Ratings System to traditional broadcasters? The way Nielsen “counts” makes me think Abacus.

Articles such as this one suggest that the industry at large recognizes the Nielsen system and methods are archaic, but there has been a failure to adopt new unified standards. Instead content providers have gone in-house and developed their own measurements to share directly with advertisers.

However, that framing pertains mostly to entertainment television for which viewing habits have changed radically. Live sports and news are exceptions, and the vast majority of viewers of those still watch live and linearly.

https://variety.com/2017/tv/features/nielsen-total-content-ratings-1202027752/

Back to topic ...

What? The guy who was quoting and posting Bob Ross styled deep thoughts wants to get us all back on track? OK, it is your world. :)

BTW, it is still working. :)

Back to topic ...

I'm not sure but I recently became a "Nielsen Household" and have gotten regular surveys over the last few months. The odd thing is, and I cant believe they do this, they send you cash money in your letter. Really cash? Ive gotten everything from two crisp 1 dollar bills and a 5 dollar bill as a thank you. Just recently I got one for a radio survey that was a 4 day diary and they paid 10 bucks for that, sent me 2 so I cleaned up lol.

I'm not sure but I recently became a "Nielsen Household" and have gotten regular surveys over the last few months. The odd thing is, and I cant believe they do this, they send you cash money in your letter. Really cash? Ive gotten everything from two crisp 1 dollar bills and a 5 dollar bill as a thank you. Just recently I got one for a radio survey that was a 4 day diary and they paid 10 bucks for that, sent me 2 so I cleaned up lol.

I was about to ask if anyone here was part of a Nielsen household. Wow, that's interesting.

Looks like we found out why the ratings leveled off, Spotter has like 250 tv's.

The year to year comparisons from this point of the season:
Cup: still running up 7.0%
Xfinity is down 13.2%

This puts us at 9 weekends into the season (1/4 complete) and the season's first off weekend. This makes for a perfect "what you see, is what you get" juncture. The trend that has developed through the first 9 weeks is probably what it's going to look like at the end of the season as well. I don't foresee much more change. Cup & the Truck Series will run in the 5 to 10% positive range, and Xfinity will continue to be on the negative side. We're getting deep enough into the season that there would have to be several huge differences between this year and last year to swing each series in the opposite direction.

sure ya are sad man. I understand, the struggles will continue, and the series will continue to barely keep their head above the water with total revenues of over 150 million up from last year. #whistlingInTheDark

We are back to NASCAR's revenues and ignoring the fact that I've never stated NASCAR was going out of business. Yep, the ol' bait and switch from you once again. Psst, my posts have been about the poor management over the last 10+ years and in this thread running off 1/2+ of the viewers.

We are back to NASCAR's revenues and ignoring the fact that I've never stated NASCAR was going out of business. Yep, the ol' bait and switch from you once again. Psst, my posts have been about the poor management over the last 10+ years and in this thread running off 1/2+ of the viewers.
if you would read what I wrote and comprehend it, you would see I didn't say that either.

The year to year comparisons from this point of the season:
Cup: still running up 7.0%
Xfinity is down 13.2%

This puts us at 9 weekends into the season (1/4 complete) and the season's first off weekend. This makes for a perfect "what you see, is what you get" juncture. The trend that has developed through the first 9 weeks is probably what it's going to look like at the end of the season as well. I don't foresee much more change. Cup & the Truck Series will run in the 5 to 10% positive range, and Xfinity will continue to be on the negative side. We're getting deep enough into the season that there would have to be several huge differences between this year and last year to swing each series in the opposite direction.

Not wanting to stir up Kyles fans, but I do wonder if his presence in Xfinity is hurting the series. I've said it, and I'll say it again, he's one of the best. Can't deny that. I enjoy the lower series much more when he's not competing there. I'm surprised the Xfinity numbers are down that much. There has been some outstanding races this year in all three series.

Not wanting to stir up Kyles fans, but I do wonder if his presence in Xfinity is hurting the series. I've said it, and I'll say it again, he's one of the best. Can't deny that. I enjoy the lower series much more when he's not competing there. I'm surprised the Xfinity numbers are down that much. There has been some outstanding races this year in all three series.
I sure thought it also. Time will tell if the Xfinity number goes up.

I'm not overly surprised that the NXS ratings are down and Truck Series is up. Truck Series is a much more compelling product than the Xfinity Series at this point in terms of drivers, talent, etc.

I'm not overly surprised that the NXS ratings are down and Truck Series is up. Truck Series is a much more compelling product than the Xfinity Series at this point in terms of drivers, talent, etc.

You know I haven’t watched a single xfinity race this year? Personally have little interest in the series, racing seems really boring

You know I haven’t watched a single xfinity race this year? Personally have little interest in the series, racing seems really boring

Las Vegas had good racing in person (IDK about TV), Richmond & Texas were good on TV. I thought Bristol was kinda meh even for a Dash4Cash/No Cup guys.

I feel the Xfinity Series would be better without Cup owners involved like how the Truck Series is now. I understand the logic behind Xfinity behind Cup lite a little bit, but they gotta add a few more tracks and create their own identity some too.

if you would read what I wrote and comprehend it, you would see I didn't say that either.

You wrote that NASCAR was making money. Wow, the same ol' thing you've been trying to baiting and switch the conversation to for months. What you fail to see is that they'd be making more money if they put more people in the stands. Course, that would mean that they'd have to stop ripping those seats out in their failed attempt to make it look like the tracks are filled for the TV viewers and advertisers. You know like Richmond that used to have 110,000 seats and now has 45% less than that and can't fill the place. Maybe you can tell me that Richmond was a sellout too in an attempt to sell me something else. :)

You wrote that NASCAR was making money. Wow, the same ol' thing you've been trying to baiting and switch the conversation to for months. What you fail to see is that they'd be making more money if they put more people in the stands. Course, that would mean that they'd have to stop ripping those seats out in their failed attempt to make it look like the tracks are filled for the TV viewers and advertisers. You know like Richmond that used to have 110,000 seats and now has 45% less than that and can't fill the place. Maybe you can tell me that Richmond was a sellout too in an attempt to sell me something else. :)

sorry that bothers ya so man. Cheer up, Nascar is doing well. you ought to watch some races some time, it's a good show.

Psst, it bothers me that NASCAR lost 1/2 of the fans that used to watch it.

Psst, it bothers me that NASCAR lost 1/2 of the fans that used to watch it.

Richmond was some great racing, as was Bristol. It's all been great this year with the exception of Fontana. Ratings are headed in the right direction, so why are you so threatened by optimistic post about NASCAR? You really seem angry about good news and people enjoying the sport. How long have you felt this way? You need a hug?

Back
Top Bottom