NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

Daytripper

Crew Chief
That's what DVRs are for. Anything actually worth watching is generally not worth watching on a damn phone.

To you, but the younger generation which is the future prefer to watch on their phone. They care about what people in their twenties like that will be customers for the next 50-60 years, not old people who won't be customers much longer and shake their fists at clouds.

wi_racefan

Team Owner
What I dont understand about only streaming options for nascar is that it's well documented that the fan base is getting older, not younger. My fear is you just keep driving away the existing fans by trying to get new ones.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
From Racer:

NASCAR was back on broadcast TV again this week with a pair of national series races on NBC at Texas Motor Speedway.

The NASCAR Cup Series race Sunday averaged a 1.52 Nielsen rating and 2.436 million viewers. That’s basically identical to the numbers for last year’s Cup race on this weekend at Kansas (1.52/2.511m) — which also aired on NBC — per ShowBuzzDaily.com.

Saturday’s NASCAR Xfinity Series race at Texas averaged 0.78/1.188m, compared to a 0.43/697K last year at Kansas, which ran Saturday evening on cable NBCSN.

Mispeedway15

Team Owner
The last part of the tweet seems like a pretty big deal to me. Nascar has pretty consistently said that that is the target audience going forward.
I think both NASCAR & baseball face some serious issues going forward. Football is about the only sport that can get away with the 3:30-4 hour running time anymore. Basketball, hockey and soccer are all right in that 2-2:30 sweet spot along with F1. NASCAR more than likely is going to need to try and get in that range eventually

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
The last part of the tweet seems like a pretty big deal to me. Nascar has pretty consistently said that that is the target audience going forward.
The F-1 race was on big ABC where as the Nascar race was on NBCSN. When one is comparing the two there isn't much in common except they are auto races. But all things considered Nascar on a much smaller platform had more viewers

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
Last years Nascar race was shown on NBC not NBCSN. Had to make room this year for the highly advertised F-1 race that was on NBC. and although F-1 had much better ratings than the year before, they didn't pull in as many viewers.
It's pretty worthless to compare the two unless F-1 has a whole season and Nascar only had one race in he U.S. They both did well IMO.

gnomesayin

Team Owner
Last years Nascar race was shown on NBC not NBCSN. Had to make room this year for the highly advertised F-1 race that was on NBC.

The F1 race aired on ABC, as the U.S. rights are held by Disney (races usually air on ESPN / ESPN2). Why exactly NBC decided to make Kansas a cable race again, who knows. NBC was showing figure skating.

One aspect that could be interesting to watch develop if American F1 TV ratings continue to climb is whether the commercial break free broadcasts can remain, and whether it would compel other motorsports to cut away from green flag action less in the long term. I think the side-by-side concept could evolve into something that feels less like a traditional ad break, with live commentary continuing over less obtrusive ads.

Top Bottom