NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

That's what DVRs are for. Anything actually worth watching is generally not worth watching on a damn phone.

To you, but the younger generation which is the future prefer to watch on their phone. They care about what people in their twenties like that will be customers for the next 50-60 years, not old people who won't be customers much longer and shake their fists at clouds.

What I dont understand about only streaming options for nascar is that it's well documented that the fan base is getting older, not younger. My fear is you just keep driving away the existing fans by trying to get new ones.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

From Racer:

NASCAR was back on broadcast TV again this week with a pair of national series races on NBC at Texas Motor Speedway.

The NASCAR Cup Series race Sunday averaged a 1.52 Nielsen rating and 2.436 million viewers. That’s basically identical to the numbers for last year’s Cup race on this weekend at Kansas (1.52/2.511m) — which also aired on NBC — per ShowBuzzDaily.com.

Saturday’s NASCAR Xfinity Series race at Texas averaged 0.78/1.188m, compared to a 0.43/697K last year at Kansas, which ran Saturday evening on cable NBCSN.

The last part of the tweet seems like a pretty big deal to me. Nascar has pretty consistently said that that is the target audience going forward.
I think both NASCAR & baseball face some serious issues going forward. Football is about the only sport that can get away with the 3:30-4 hour running time anymore. Basketball, hockey and soccer are all right in that 2-2:30 sweet spot along with F1. NASCAR more than likely is going to need to try and get in that range eventually

The last part of the tweet seems like a pretty big deal to me. Nascar has pretty consistently said that that is the target audience going forward.
The F-1 race was on big ABC where as the Nascar race was on NBCSN. When one is comparing the two there isn't much in common except they are auto races. But all things considered Nascar on a much smaller platform had more viewers

Last years Nascar race was shown on NBC not NBCSN. Had to make room this year for the highly advertised F-1 race that was on NBC. and although F-1 had much better ratings than the year before, they didn't pull in as many viewers.
It's pretty worthless to compare the two unless F-1 has a whole season and Nascar only had one race in he U.S. They both did well IMO.

Last years Nascar race was shown on NBC not NBCSN. Had to make room this year for the highly advertised F-1 race that was on NBC.

The F1 race aired on ABC, as the U.S. rights are held by Disney (races usually air on ESPN / ESPN2). Why exactly NBC decided to make Kansas a cable race again, who knows. NBC was showing figure skating.

One aspect that could be interesting to watch develop if American F1 TV ratings continue to climb is whether the commercial break free broadcasts can remain, and whether it would compel other motorsports to cut away from green flag action less in the long term. I think the side-by-side concept could evolve into something that feels less like a traditional ad break, with live commentary continuing over less obtrusive ads.

A 4.1 rating, NASCAR would kill for that now. Only the Daytona 500 gets that.

Looks like Trucks and Xfinity had a 25 to 30 percent increase, I knew their numbers were pretty good this year, 18% for Cup.

“Television, which gets a lot of focus, we are the most stable sport on television since 2018,” claimed Phelps. “No other sport, none, can match what NASCAR has done from a stability standpoint with our ratings. If you consider our share numbers since 2019 in our Cup Series, it’s up 18%, which is hard to do at this point. It’s just hard.

“Then you look at our ratings for Xfinity and our Camping World Truck series, they’re up double-digits. The share in both of those series is up 25% to 30%. We are having a moment as a sport, it’s important that we keep it going, which is exactly what we’re going to do.”

I don't understand why they continue running the championship race on Sunday afternoon during peak NFL season. Move it to Saturday night...better odds to compete with college football
Saturday night has never been an overwhelmingly successful TV night and especially not for NASCAR.

I'd like to know what metric Phelps is using to make the "up 18%" in share claim. While the majority of races have held up well since that time, that seems skewed. Ratings are definitely not up 18% overall since 2019.

This is for the first half of the season for FS-1 so I don't know what the R-f experts will figure for the second half

On the FS1 cable channel specifically, Cup races averaged 2.52 million viewers, up 19% from '19 (2.116 million). I think big Fox was impacted because of the 500 rain out.

NASCAR also points to how competitive it is versus other sports currently, as it was the No. 1 or No. 2 most-watched sporting event of the weekend for 75% of the first half of the season -- 12 of 16 weekends.

I think it’s funny the ratings are doing so well for X & Trucks but so-so for Cup.

Hmmm maybe people would watch 850/900 HP at the 550 tracks?

I'd like to know what metric Phelps is using to make the "up 18%" in share claim. While the majority of races have held up well since that time, that seems skewed. Ratings are definitely not up 18% overall since 2019.
Share as in percentage of TVs in use tuned in to that program. Not too hard to believe actually since traditional TV usage continues to decline as scripted programming moves to apps, streaming-only platforms, and DVR viewing (plenty of prime time shows double their Live+Same Day viewership with Live+7 figures since you can cut out the third of a show that’s devoted to commercials).

The NBA Finals was the fourth-least watched on record this year and the rest of the playoffs did decent at best but they had their highest playoff share since 2002. Beyond sports there’s just a lot less reason to watch traditional TV anymore. The pie keeps getting smaller.

Share as in percentage of TVs in use tuned in to that program. Not too hard to believe actually since traditional TV usage continues to decline as scripted programming moves to apps, streaming-only platforms, and DVR viewing (plenty of prime time shows double their Live+Same Day viewership with Live+7 figures since you can cut out the third of a show that’s devoted to commercials).

The NBA Finals was the fourth-least watched on record this year and the rest of the playoffs did decent at best but they had their highest playoff share since 2002. Beyond sports there’s just a lot less reason to watch traditional TV anymore. The pie keeps getting smaller.
Probably why Phelps was talking about how stable their ratings are as the most stable sport on TV since 2018. I guess stick and ball is all over the place, I don't follow it so I am guessing looking at the NBA finals.

Probably why Phelps was talking about how stable their ratings are as the most stable sport on TV since 2018. I guess stick and ball is all over the place, I don't follow it so I am guessing looking at the NBA finals.
This year's NBA Finals had 2 of the smallest market teams. That certainly played a huge role, plus a lot of the older die-hards have sworn off the NBA since the BLM protests

Back
Top Bottom