NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

AuzGrams

Team Owner
IMS had gains across the board this weekend.

Cup was up to 3.373M (2.83M in mid August last year).

Xfinity with 1.516M on NBC, up from 921k on NBCSN last year.

IndyCar also bounced to 1.046M on NBC from 502k on NBCSN.

Surprisingly, Trucks had only 492k at IRP on FS1. ARCA earlier at IRP chipped in 219k.

Not the greatest time slot for Trucks.

I think ratings would be higher at the oval for Cup, maybe they can alternate the Brickyard 400.

AndyMarquisLive

I love short track racing with all my heart

I think ratings would be higher at the oval for Cup, maybe they can alternate the Brickyard 400.

The IMS road course was "entertaining" because it was chaos. This is what the fans want, fake road courses and chaos instead of racing.

Meanwhile, younger people are watching F1 at 8am in higher numbers than NASCAR at 3pm.

It's almost like coordinated chaos isn't selling with the people NASCAR needs to attract.

AuzGrams

Team Owner
The IMS road course was "entertaining" because it was chaos. This is what the fans want, fake road courses and chaos instead of racing.

Meanwhile, younger people are watching F1 at 8am in higher numbers than NASCAR at 3pm.

It's almost like coordinated chaos isn't selling with the people NASCAR needs to attract.

Can’t really blame NASCAR last week as IMS is a Roger Penske decision, however the general premise of your post is true unfortunately.

FLRacingFan

Team Owner

I agree, I’d like to see what one try at the oval would bring. 2020 was pretty high around 4.3M with COVID and Independence Day weekend in 2020, and 2019 they got 2.9M against the NFL. I wouldn’t be surprised if the oval got higher than 3.3M this last weekend.

It’s definitely a healthy increase across the board at IMS compared to last year though, and even F1 was up 18% just from last week at France. Lots more people watching racing this past weekend besides Trucks, admittedly with a bad TV window. The Roval is safe for next year at least.

Greg

2014 RF YAHOO CHAMP Your leader
Well the Peacock has done went and pissed off people now

Moving "the Lay's (Days) of our Lives" exclusively to Peacock.

Mispeedway15

Team Owner

Eh NASCAR has a serious "cool" problem it has to fix. It's retaining fans so the product is much better than it was when people were leaving in droves, but attracted new ones is phase two. F1 is not even as exciting as IndyCar, yet it's talked about way more than any American motorsport because it's more prescient (Netflix show, sweet video game, shorter race distances)

AndyMarquisLive

I love short track racing with all my heart
Eh NASCAR has a serious "cool" problem it has to fix. It's retaining fans so the product is much better than it was when people were leaving in droves, but attracted new ones is phase two. F1 is not even as exciting as IndyCar, yet it's talked about way more than any American motorsport because it's more prescient (Netflix show, sweet video game, shorter race distances)

NASCAR should get with Netflix to do a documentary series (like Drive to Survive) involving Trackhouse. That team, along with 23XI, has brought new fans and new energy to this sport.

Bubba Wallace is also very good for the sport, but the existing fans hate him because of the nexus of politics and motorsports.

Hailie Deegan has the potential to be a superstar of the likes this sport hasn't had since Dale Jr, but she needs to put results up on the board.

The fact is, there aren't very many engaging personalities in this sport. And, on top of that, this sport seems hellbent on pushing Chase Elliott hard because he's the most popular driver by a country mile (but he doesn't attract new fans) and Austin Dillon because #3 car.

Top Bottom