NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

IMS had gains across the board this weekend.

Cup was up to 3.373M (2.83M in mid August last year).

Xfinity with 1.516M on NBC, up from 921k on NBCSN last year.

IndyCar also bounced to 1.046M on NBC from 502k on NBCSN.

Surprisingly, Trucks had only 492k at IRP on FS1. ARCA earlier at IRP chipped in 219k.

Not the greatest time slot for Trucks.

I think ratings would be higher at the oval for Cup, maybe they can alternate the Brickyard 400.

I think ratings would be higher at the oval for Cup, maybe they can alternate the Brickyard 400.

The IMS road course was "entertaining" because it was chaos. This is what the fans want, fake road courses and chaos instead of racing.

Meanwhile, younger people are watching F1 at 8am in higher numbers than NASCAR at 3pm.

It's almost like coordinated chaos isn't selling with the people NASCAR needs to attract.

The IMS road course was "entertaining" because it was chaos. This is what the fans want, fake road courses and chaos instead of racing.

Meanwhile, younger people are watching F1 at 8am in higher numbers than NASCAR at 3pm.

It's almost like coordinated chaos isn't selling with the people NASCAR needs to attract.

Can’t really blame NASCAR last week as IMS is a Roger Penske decision, however the general premise of your post is true unfortunately.

I agree, I’d like to see what one try at the oval would bring. 2020 was pretty high around 4.3M with COVID and Independence Day weekend in 2020, and 2019 they got 2.9M against the NFL. I wouldn’t be surprised if the oval got higher than 3.3M this last weekend.

It’s definitely a healthy increase across the board at IMS compared to last year though, and even F1 was up 18% just from last week at France. Lots more people watching racing this past weekend besides Trucks, admittedly with a bad TV window. The Roval is safe for next year at least.

Well the Peacock has done went and pissed off people now

Moving "the Lay's (Days) of our Lives" exclusively to Peacock.

Eh NASCAR has a serious "cool" problem it has to fix. It's retaining fans so the product is much better than it was when people were leaving in droves, but attracted new ones is phase two. F1 is not even as exciting as IndyCar, yet it's talked about way more than any American motorsport because it's more prescient (Netflix show, sweet video game, shorter race distances)

Eh NASCAR has a serious "cool" problem it has to fix. It's retaining fans so the product is much better than it was when people were leaving in droves, but attracted new ones is phase two. F1 is not even as exciting as IndyCar, yet it's talked about way more than any American motorsport because it's more prescient (Netflix show, sweet video game, shorter race distances)

NASCAR should get with Netflix to do a documentary series (like Drive to Survive) involving Trackhouse. That team, along with 23XI, has brought new fans and new energy to this sport.

Bubba Wallace is also very good for the sport, but the existing fans hate him because of the nexus of politics and motorsports.

Hailie Deegan has the potential to be a superstar of the likes this sport hasn't had since Dale Jr, but she needs to put results up on the board.

The fact is, there aren't very many engaging personalities in this sport. And, on top of that, this sport seems hellbent on pushing Chase Elliott hard because he's the most popular driver by a country mile (but he doesn't attract new fans) and Austin Dillon because #3 car.

NASCAR should get with Netflix to do a documentary series (like Drive to Survive) involving Trackhouse. That team, along with 23XI, has brought new fans and new energy to this sport.

Bubba Wallace is also very good for the sport, but the existing fans hate him because of the nexus of politics and motorsports.

Hailie Deegan has the potential to be a superstar of the likes this sport hasn't had since Dale Jr, but she needs to put results up on the board.

The fact is, there aren't very many engaging personalities in this sport. And, on top of that, this sport seems hellbent on pushing Chase Elliott hard because he's the most popular driver by a country mile (but he doesn't attract new fans) and Austin Dillon because #3 car.
Agree with you as far as Hallie goes. If she became even a win a year person she'd be the biggest star since Jeff Gordon

I think we can safely go back and declare a winner in the "Will USA produce higher or lower ratings than NBCSN?" debates from last year. It doesn't matter that it's not a sports network. What matters is that it has broader distribution and larger average viewership across the board. NBCSN was a boat anchor strapped to everything it touched.

I wouldn’t say NBCSN ruined everything, but the distribution sucked for sure regarding NASCAR, IndyCar, NHL.

I feel like it had some racing and sports such as IMSA or a Notre Dame home game against a MAC school that USA/NBC would rather put on Peacock now days.

I wouldn’t say NBCSN ruined everything, but the distribution sucked for sure regarding NASCAR, IndyCar, NHL.

I feel like it had some racing and sports that USA/NBC would rather put on Peacock now days.

Fair point. Stuff like SX / MX and so on.

Fair point. Stuff like SX / MX and so on.

Monster Jam used to be great entertainment years and years ago too, trying to think what else. Their college stuff on NBCSN was pretty weak outside of Notre Dame and the A-10.

I think we can safely go back and declare a winner in the "Will USA produce higher or lower ratings than NBCSN?" debates from last year. It doesn't matter that it's not a sports network. What matters is that it has broader distribution and larger average viewership across the board. NBCSN was a boat anchor strapped to everything it touched.
Honestly there are a number of circumstances involved that don’t make for equivalent comparisons for several of the last few races. I’d be shocked if Richmond didn’t get better on a summer Sunday than it did on a football Saturday night, where it got under 2M the last few years. Atlanta and Indy were pretty solid increases though.

I think distribution is about the same now that USA lost over 10M subs in a year or so. Someone posted it in this thread. NBCSN did suck though.

I feel like it had some racing and sports such as IMSA or a Notre Dame home game against a MAC school that USA/NBC would rather put on Peacock now days.

A lot of these live events are on USA because of existing contracts.

Plus, some of it's just free content. A lot of the taped NASCAR content on USA is just edited FloRacing rebroadcasts.

A lot of these live events are on USA because of existing contracts.

Plus, some of it's just free content. A lot of the taped NASCAR content on USA is just edited FloRacing rebroadcasts.

Supercross, Motocross, Monster Jam and a few others have been displaced to CNBC.

Jesus man way too many conflicts for one of the bigger races on the schedule. Sure channels like “The CW are fairly easy to access but still.” Why can’t they simulcast it on USA.

1661371569054.png

Football seems to become more of a behemoth each year…tough ratings this weekend. Not sure I’ve seen a Sunday afternoon race run as scheduled before and get < 2M. Some Saturday night races, sure.

Kansas Cup on USA - 1.878M
Shortened Xfinity on USA - 672k
Trucks on FS1 - 436k

Cup and Xfinity qualifying sessions on USA added 344k and 244k.

Other notables, F1 Monza 995k on ESPN2 and Indy Laguna Seca a catastrophic 507k on NBC.

Football seems to become more of a behemoth each year…tough ratings this weekend. Not sure I’ve seen a Sunday afternoon race run as scheduled before and get < 2M. Some Saturday night races, sure.

Kansas Cup on USA - 1.878M
Shortened Xfinity on USA - 672k
Trucks on FS1 - 436k

Cup and Xfinity qualifying sessions on USA added 344k and 244k.

Other notables, F1 Monza 995k on ESPN2 and Indy Laguna Seca a catastrophic 507k on NBC.

Turns out NASCAR going head to head against IndyCar and the NFL isn't very good for the ratings.:idunno:

What’s the year to year? I believe Richmond Saturday Night was on 9/11 of last year.

I think the NASCAR industry does not like the idea, but getting rid of the June off week would help them end the season a week earlier and have better ratings.

What’s the year to year? I believe Richmond Saturday Night was on 9/11 of last year.

I think the NASCAR industry does not like the idea, but getting rid of the June off week would help them end the season a week earlier and have better ratings.
No real apples-to-apples comparison…Richmond had 1.784M on Saturday night same weekend last year. Kansas had 2.105M on NBCSN in late October.

Yeah it’s pretty apples to oranges, but still the same weekend basically:

2021 (Saturday Night @ Richmond) - 1.784M on NBCSN
2022 (Sunday Afternoon @ Kansas - 1.878M on USA

Overall not an improvement at all much, but maybe they can have Kansas, Texas, Las Vegas be on Sunday Nights in the future on USA? Less conflict with football.

Back
Top Bottom