NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

Trucks should go back to their original format. Halfway break. It reduces costs as teams don’t need to hire Cup pit crews for races,
That might allow more 'barnstorming' stand-alone races, since the Trucks wouldn't need to be at the same tracks where the Cup crews are.

I say 'might' because there's still the broadcasters' preference for everything in one place.

That might allow more 'barnstorming' stand-alone races, since the Trucks wouldn't need to be at the same tracks where the Cup crews are.

I say 'might' because there's still the broadcasters' preference for everything in one place.

NASCAR Productions already handles many of the Truck Series broadcasts. The PxP for some of those Truck and ARCA races is done from a studio in downtown Charlotte.

I mean, other than the obvious stuff, like putting out a decent product........

They need to do something like F1 with the Netflix documentary. There needs to be a lot more coverage of the drivers and their personalities. There needs to be more insight, more drama, more "behind closed doors" stuff. Other than the Dale Jr Download, what do we get?

Get involved with more movies, like they did with Talladega Nights and Cars. From a media perspective, do whatever they can to get eyeballs. More ads on Youtube. More commercials on TV. There just isn't much exposure.

Go walk down the toy aisle at any store and see if there's any NASCAR diecasts. If you're lucky, there MIGHT be a few J-hooks with a half dozen options. IMO, that is absolutely unacceptable. And how come there's no NASCAR apparel in the clothing section at Walmart?

NASCAR needs to get way more involved with the TV broadcasts. Find out what people do and don't like about Fox/NBC, and tell the networks to adjust accordingly. Right now, the tail is wagging the dog.

Why isn't NASCAR doing a better job of connecting with the local short tracks? What happened to that "roots" stuff with the "my home track" or whatever they called it? Why aren't they doing more to promote this?

More PR stuff with drivers and crew members attending "fan day" type of events. I don't care if it's at the track or a race shop or your local Applebees.

Most importantly, they need to incentivize getting kids to a NASCAR race. There should be more promos for family ticket packages, kids under 16 get in for free, whatever it takes. I know they do a little of this already, but they need to step it up a notch. It should be a lot easier for hardcore race fans to get their children interested in NASCAR.

That's just a start. I have a ton of ideas, but unfortunately I'm not on NASCAR's payroll. But most of this stuff is just common sense

I think those ideas are good and worth consideration.

I have, REPEATEDLY, and when I tell everyone here what they tell me, I get branded as a troll and a hater. In fact, I seldom have to ask them. Once they find I still watch NASCAR every week, they usually CAN'T WAIT to tell me why they no longer watch.

How many people do you speak with each month that want to tell you why they don’t watch NASCAR? The reason I ask is it seem like a bizarre thing to do

Tough to say. They're listed by track but not by data, so it's not possible to tell if they're spring or in football season. Those that have only a single date are obvious and are mostly before football season.
Spring races usually draw higher numbers. Several were down because of Chase Elliott.

The summer races got a boost because of Chicago, and NBC actually promoting their races across all their properties. I saw that “summer in the city” ad countless times in the weeks leading up to Nashville and Chicago.

The NFL is king. 👑

Not counting the D500, 11 Cup races had more viewers than the finale. Most of those weren't in the playoffs; indeed, the spring Phoenix race outdrew the championship by over 10 percent.
The biggest viewership races are always* the ones in the spring that ride the Daytona 500 momentum. Then viewership fatigue sets in a little each week, viewership stabilizes after the Coke 600 and stays fairly consistent over the summer, then decreases a bit once more when football starts.

* Some exceptions for major events/Crown Jewels such as the Coke 600, Brickyard 400, Chicago Streets, Daytona 400, etc.

All western markets at the top. The only ones still awake that late.
Still good enough for the sixth-best audience overall this season and third-best on cable. I think that overperformed what many were expecting. It actually beat out the U.S. GP from last month, which went against both Cup and the NFL.

They’re really limited by a lot of external factors so I could see them moving up the start time to 11 PM or Midnight ET, but anything else seems unlikely.

Still good enough for the sixth-best audience overall this season and third-best on cable. I think that overperformed what many were expecting. It actually beat out the U.S. GP from last month, which went against both Cup and the NFL.

They’re really limited by a lot of external factors so I could see them moving up the start time to 11 PM or Midnight ET, but anything else seems unlikely.

11pm ET would be fine, truthfully. But I think they're going to keep it where it's at.

It's just such an odd decision. The United States has the strongest economy on Earth, and Americans are much less frugal with their money than Europeans, two of the main reasons F1 wants to expand their footprint in the United States. They have a perfect event to do so, and they decide that it's more important for Europeans to watch it than Americans.

In the same boat, it's still strange to me that NASCAR wants to have all these late ass races for the west coast to watch.

People woke up at 9am, multiple times this year, to watch morning football. But NASCAR fans on the East Coast are expected to wait until 5pm or later for their race to start so Los Angeles can wake up, go to church, get their grocery shopping done, and be home in time for the race?

They have a perfect event to do so, and they decide that it's more important for Europeans to watch it than Americans.
I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with Las Vegas not wanting to shut down one of the world's top tourist destinations during prime business hours for multiple days. I remember hearing something about P&Q having to end by a specific time (4am?) so they could have the streets reopened for traffic.

Would have been nice for MBM Motorsports to have bumped up the entry list to 43-44 cars.
Duels haven’t mattered since the charters anyway.

I have a feeling Caitlin Clark will put a dent in the numbers. College basketball is huge in North Carolina.

But the game was on Peacock. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have a feeling Caitlin Clark will put a dent in the numbers. College basketball is huge in North Carolina.

I thought it mattered last night. BJ McLeod & JJ Yeley were sent home.

I have no idea why you’re so obsessed with her, it’s both very niche like the NHL.

Who? I'm assuming this is women's college basketball, which I can guarantee you Nascar could car less about.

I'm sorry but the masses don't care about women's sports, college or professional. I was once on a plane with the Tulsa Shock and no one on the plane or in the airport even acknowledged them. When we landed I had to google it to find out they were a pro team.

Who? I'm assuming this is women's college basketball, which I can guarantee you Nascar could car less about.

Biggest story in sports right now.

I'm sorry but the masses don't care about women's sports

The Caitlin Clark Experience is a completely different story that's shattering conventional wisdom about viewership and women's sports.

She drew 1.8 million viewers to a game on Sunday that was played on a network opposite of the Super Bowl hype shows. Fox Sports relegated NASCAR to FS1 for the Clash because Caitlin Clark was playing on Fox, and she's a bigger ratings draw than NASCAR.

I asked the same question before the Clash. Motorsports and golf are the only sports I watch. Apparently none of the networks that carry them also carry her conference since I don't remember ads about her.

I don't know how much attention the US TV audience as a whole gives women's college basketball. I can say that in my opinion, the women on the LPGA tour play better golf than the PGA men. They hit the fairways more consistently and spend less time in the bunkers and weeds.

Biggest story in sports right now.

The Caitlin Clark Experience is a completely different story that's shattering conventional wisdom about viewership and women's sports.

She drew 1.8 million viewers to a game on Sunday tha
t was played on a network opposite of the Super Bowl hype shows. Fox Sports relegated NASCAR to FS1 for the Clash because Caitlin Clark was playing on Fox, and she's a bigger ratings draw than NASCAR.

Never heard of her, definitely not the biggest story in sports right now.

Never heard of her, definitely not the biggest story in sports right now.
I don’t watch basketball and I know who she is. I’ve actually only watched for her and she’s every bit as exciting as advertised.

I might be wrong but I think that little game they played last Sunday might have been a bigger deal
Old news. I can tell you what the top story on SportsCenter was yesterday and can even tell you which sports story made NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt.

I would rather watch a Hallmark Christmas movie than SportsCenter. I'd watch a weekend marathon over Colin Cowherd or Stephen A. Smith.

And that has nothing to do with racing.

I’m sure it’ll wind up being a great number by Peacock standards, but I’d be really surprised if had a material impact on the Duel audience. Not sure there’s really a whole lot of fan base overlap there. Duels will probably have the same ~ 1.5M range they’ve had the past three or four years.

I’m sure it’ll wind up being a great number by Peacock standards, but I’d be really surprised if had a material impact on the Duel audience. Not sure there’s really a whole lot of fan base overlap there. Duels will probably have the same ~ 1.5M range they’ve had the past three or four years.

Charlotte and Greensboro are NASCAR's biggest markets. I cannot emphasize enough how big College Basketball is in this state - and how many people watch College Basketball and NASCAR and that's about it.

Everyone at the bar I went to after work was talking about Caitlin Clark and the record. And where I live is VERY redneck, A LOT of NASCAR fans. Hell, there are two racetracks (ovals), a dragstrip, and two mud tracks within a half hour of where I live.

Back
Top Bottom