NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

Chase Elliott is probably it. I like Nemechek myself, but not sure he's that talented enough to be a constant winner.

I had one but they missed the opportunity. They should have dressed up Brian a bit and put him in this. Could have sold the place out

iu

TV is important because it gives fans a chance to watch the race if they don't live by track.
Dang skippy it’s important. 50-60% of the races left my tv years ago. I will not jack up cable bills only to rope in one or two more channels. Forget it. And the brochures the tracks keep sending me about ticket renewals are amusing. Hope the newer fans have been enjoying those seats. I’m “learning to like it”...

I realized I didn't update this thread with last week's ratings

NASCAR Posts Rare Bump Thanks to Schedule, and Maybe Elliott
It was likely due more to the schedule than to Chase Elliott‘s first career win, but NASCAR ratings increased for just the third time all season.

Sunday’s NASCAR Cup Series Watkins Glen 355 had a 2.3 rating and 3.67 million viewers on the NBC broadcast network, up 15% in ratings and 13% in viewership from last year on NBCSN (2.0, 3.25M) and flat and down 4% from 2016, when the race aired on USA Network opposite the Olympic Games (2.3, 3.83M).

Elliott’s win was just the third Cup Series race all season to post an increase, joining Michigan in June and Chicagoland last month, though all three increases can be attributed to a scheduling change. Watkins Glen and Michigan both moved up from cable to broadcast, while Chicagoland moved from September (opposite the NFL) to July.

It was likely due more to the schedule than to Chase Elliott‘s first career win, but NASCAR ratings increased for just the third time all season.

Sunday’s NASCAR Cup Series Watkins Glen 355 had a 2.3 rating and 3.67 million viewers on the NBC broadcast network, up 15% in ratings and 13% in viewership from last year on NBCSN (2.0, 3.25M) and flat and down 4% from 2016, when the race aired on USA Network opposite the Olympic Games (2.3, 3.83M).

Elliott’s win was just the third Cup Series race all season to post an increase, joining Michigan in June and Chicagoland last month, though all three increases can be attributed to a scheduling change. Watkins Glen and Michigan both moved up from cable to broadcast, while Chicagoland moved from September (opposite the NFL) to July.
The race was shown over the air rather than on NBCSN. Simple as that.

Spin, spin, spin. Let's not chat about Michigan's ratings and how NASCAR was destroyed by a golf. LOL.

I know that the sport IS in a decline, but it was the 4th straight sellout from what I heard on TV.
They knocked down a ton of grandstands since last August, raised the base price for those who still go... Still there were open seats Which are seen from any photos of the event. Don’t know what it takes to label a race a “sellout”.

They knocked down a ton of grandstands since last August, raised the base price for those who still go... Still there were open seats Which are seen from any photos of the event. Don’t know what it takes to label a race a “sellout”.
Nothing like knocking down grandstands to artificially boost demand. Hasn’t worked for Dover. Used to be you couldn’t get a ticket without a subscription to both races. Now you can get a seat wherever you want on race day. And seating has been cut significantly.
I don’t know what the answer is but the problem is obvious.

I just heard what I heard on TV (which some of them should do their homework more). It did look like there was a lot more support/fan interest at Watkins Glen then other tracks.

Too many tracks owned by ISC and SMI, but it's way too late in the game for that to change.

Yeah I think it got away from em a bit honestly. Ticket prices just ran away really, the sport isn’t that desired yet gates are still expensive if you’re not a renewal customer

from sportsmediawatch.com

Back to the Doldrums For NASCAR
Michigan ratings down 20 percent

After a rare increase at Watkins Glen, NASCAR ratings fell back into the usual mire at Michigan.

Last Sunday’s NASCAR Cup Series Michigan 400 earned a 1.6 rating and 2.5 million viewers on NBCSN, down 20% in ratings and viewership from last year (2.0, 3.2M) and down 24% and 25% respectively from 2016 (2.1, 3.4M).

Excluding rainouts, Kevin Harvick‘s win was the lowest rated edition of the race in at least 20 years and the least-watched since at least 2000.

Just four years ago, ratings and viewership were twice as high — a 3.2 and 5.2 million on ESPN.

How the hell do you lose half your viewership in four years? It makes no sense, especially since the stupid point changes started in 04. Something is fishy with these numbers, doesn't seem intuitive.

How the hell do you lose half your viewership in four years? It makes no sense, especially since the stupid point changes started in 04. Something is fishy with these numbers, doesn't seem intuitive.

No more Jeff Gordon, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Tony Stewart, among others. Points system changes every 3 years. New TV networks. Too many 1.5 mile tracks (ISC and SMI own way too many tracks on the schedule, so why bother even letting other tracks compete for fans?). Oversaturation of product across all 3 series.

I'm not real sure why it's dropped off that bad. The races have been decent lately if you ask me. Guess the new generation of fans can't stomach a bad race or two.

Also the fact that many do not get the nbcs and fs1 on basic channel lineups. It’s different all over the country but there are many who talk about this in different areas. I know I’m in an area where cable is already high enough and to add the extra package to see those two channels is absurd.

When you are a viewer who would watch most of the season years ago, now you’re limited to maybe seeing 40-50% of races... eventually that’s not enough to hold your attention and MAKE you want to spend a day or two going to a race weekend.

It might be hard for some if theyve have these channels and have had them for awhile to grasp how grim the network situation really has been for many. I use to try and find streams to hold me over... I don’t even care to look this season. I have found so many other things to do with those race time slots. I still care about this stuff after watching for 20 something years, but if I miss half the season I don’t care anymore.

It has stopped me from going to races though. I had friends who didn’t believe I was passing on going to the track. I offered them to go golfing for the afternoon. Ended up being a darn good time. Looked up the race winner the next morning. It was just fine.

Brian France and his lack of leadership.

Also the fact that many do not get the nbcs and fs1 on basic channel lineups. It’s different all over the country but there are many who talk about this in different areas. I know I’m in an area where cable is already high enough and to add the extra package to see those two channels is absurd.

When you are a viewer who would watch most of the season years ago, now you’re limited to maybe seeing 40-50% of races... eventually that’s not enough to hold your attention and MAKE you want to spend a day or two going to a race weekend.

It might be hard for some if theyve have these channels and have had them for awhile to grasp how grim the network situation really has been for many. I use to try and find streams to hold me over... I don’t even care to look this season. I have found so many other things to do with those race time slots. I still care about this stuff after watching for 20 something years, but if I miss half the season I don’t care anymore.

It has stopped me from going to races though. I had friends who didn’t believe I was passing on going to the track. I offered them to go golfing for the afternoon. Ended up being a darn good time. Looked up the race winner the next morning. It was just fine.
I cut the cable cord over a year ago. I used to watch as much as possible, including qualifying and practice and attend a few races a year. I have found more fulfilling things to do and follow the sport primarily through this forum and the now screwy site formally known as Jayski. Good luck NASCAR trying to get the younger demographic to watch, engage in or (gasp) attend an actual race.

elimination play offs

That's depressing, but the staggering decline of nearly 40% and nearly 50% in 18-49 is what happens when a race moves from NBC to NBCSN. It seems that minus 15-20% is the baseline this year. A move from cable to network will erase that, a move from network to cable doubles it.

I hope more people will eventually take to heart that 'good racing' and 'more short tracks' are an entirely separate concern from TV ratings. They have almost nothing to do with each other. What several online polls found to be the best race of the year just posted what may be the biggest TV audience decline of the year.

That's depressing, but the staggering decline of nearly 40% and nearly 50% in 18-49 is what happens when a race moves from NBC to NBCSN. It seems that minus 15-20% is the baseline this year. A move from cable to network will erase that, a move from network to cable doubles it.

I hope more people will eventually take to heart that 'good racing' and 'more short tracks' are an entirely separate concern from TV ratings. They have almost nothing to do with each other. What several online polls found to be the best race of the year just posted what may be the biggest TV audience decline of the year.

It's ironic that the thing that infused so much money in the series has been one of the major contributors to the lower ratings.

Just weeding out the fans there were only there for Earnhardt or Gordon I guess.

Just weeding out the fans there were only there for Earnhardt or Gordon I guess.
you guess wrong I am afraid. The ratings had been declining even before Gordon and Earnhardt left.
NASCAR Bristol Ratings Lowest in Memory
NASCAR Bristol ratings were the lowest in at least 20 years.
Saturday’s NASCAR Cup Series Bristol Night Race earned a 1.4 rating and 2.33 million viewers on NBCSN, down 39% in ratings and viewership from last year on the NBC broadcast network (2.3. 3.82M) and down a third and 36% respectively from 2015, the last time it aired as scheduled on NBCSN (2.1, 3.61M).
Kurt Busch‘s win was the lowest rated edition of the race in at least 20 years and the least-watched since at least 2000. That includes the 2016 race, which was postponed a day due to rain and had a 1.5 and 2.7 million on CNBC.

this is not a decline anymore, this is a collapse...and still for next year we are going to get 'more of the same'....It's insane....

you guess wrong I am afraid. The ratings had been declining even before Gordon and Earnhardt left.
Saturday’s NASCAR Cup Series Bristol Night Race earned a 1.4 rating and 2.33 million viewers on NBCSN, down 39% in ratings and viewership from last year on the NBC broadcast network (2.3. 3.82M) and down a third and 36% respectively from 2015, the last time it aired as scheduled on NBCSN (2.1, 3.61M).
Kurt Busch‘s win was the lowest rated edition of the race in at least 20 years and the least-watched since at least 2000. That includes the 2016 race, which was postponed a day due to rain and had a 1.5 and 2.7 million on CNBC.

this is not a decline anymore, this is a collapse...and still for next year we are going to get 'more of the same'....It's insane....

I didn't say it was getting better. Dying sport I suppose.

With those ratings one has to wonder how much money a new sponsorship deal for Cup is gonna bring in?

Ba-wa-wa-wa-wa-wa-wa-wa-wa-ha-ha-ha-ha

reminds me of the drunk that shot the bird every time Earnhardt drove by.

reminds me of the drunk that shot the bird every time Earnhardt drove by.

So, you are reporting that you know of a case where an intoxicated fan was using crude hand gestures at a NASCAR race lap, after lap, after lap and no one at that track did anything about it?

Well, I guess that might explain the decline in people in the seats and new fans turning to the sport.

I wonder how much the "cable cutting" has impacted the ratings? When we are traveling I usually watch via the Internet. My son got fed up with paying $150 a month for cable and does not get NBCSN. There are a lot of people switching to Internet and over the air channels. It has to impact the ratings some

I wonder how much the "cable cutting" has impacted the ratings? When we are traveling I usually watch via the Internet. My son got fed up with paying $150 a month for cable and does not get NBCSN. There are a lot of people switching to Internet and over the air channels. It has to impact the ratings some

It's hard to follow Nascar if you don't have upper tire cable, it is definitely one of the reasons for the decline. There isn't much of a car culture compared to years ago either, but once again compared to the other televised major racing series in the U.S. Nascar's ratings are the highest and many times it is the highest rated sporting event of the weekend.

There isn't much of a car culture compared to years ago either

I fear this will be the ultimate undoing. I have a son, 15 yoa who has been to many NASCAR events, one Indy event, and several local short track dirt races with me and my friends. He has one friend who is into racing. One kid. His father is a wrench and the kid grew up around grease so he likes it but not even as much as my son. I recall years ago when I was a kid everybody had a dirt bike lunchbox or a car-related hat or jacket or what have you. Those days are gone. Kids (late teens and 20's now) want to be Ubered everywhere. Gone is the kid who poured every dollar he had into his car and I knew many of them. The times they are a changin'.

Doesn’t count Canadian viewers either. Or Central and South Americans.

I wonder why there are so many advertisements broadcast during events?

Back
Top Bottom