NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

I'm puzzled by NBC's strong showing however at Kansas for example. I for one have such a hard time listening to NBC's booth team that I often have to turn off the sound. I know of more than a few people who have the same problem with NBC. I found that yesterday's Kansas race was particularly hard on my ears.

I guess these results seem to indicate that NBC's booth team is not as big a problem for most viewers as I thought.
If the racing is good, one can just about put up with anything and I think that is the big story this year and it drives the ratings..a fellow turned down sounder here.

They are doing something right. That's plain as day given recent results, as the growth is more substantial and consistent now than it was during the first half of the season.

Personally, I wish this had occurred last year, as I found the racing to be excellent. This style of racing is not for me. The playoffs aren't for me. I echo the sentiments above that I find NBC's booth and infomercial style presentation to be cringeworthy and godawful.

Nevertheless, when analyzing TV ratings and other business aspects of the sport, I prefer to deal in reality rather than what I wish were true. They have a lot going for them. They've made some shrewd marketing changes, finally. The Cup Series now seems to be out of the shadow of "Dale Jr. is gone" and "Jeff Gordon is gone" and so on. Finally, apparently the sort of fringe / casual viewers that make up the difference between 2.8 million and 3.2 million are enjoying this style of racing.

That's just that. I'm honestly more torn about the fact that NBC is experiencing all of this growth with their hideous announcing style than I am about the momentum racing doing well.

Well I doubt we will get less of the screaming gerbils as long as the ratings continue to increase. Hell, I wouldn't put it past them to add another one in the booth. Maybe a saving grace could be next year if Fox gets good ratings without all of the non stop yapping style of NBC. Repeating the same thing over and over four ways from Sunday during the race gives me a headache. I'm hoping the racing product is appealing to more people than the awful announcing.

I think it has something to do with ownership.

Kellogg's doesn't deserve to have a corn flakes monopoly, either.

Right, and NASCAR has found a package that works on 1.5 mile tracks, but as far as I'm concerned, there's a lot of other tracks that have something left to be desired such as Dover, Richmond, Pocono, Michigan, Fontana, etc.

Either the football games weren't very good or having it on the NBC broadcast channel helped. (I don't know if this race was on a broadcast channel last year).

Unreal how the well the ratings have done lately. I really did not think the new package would be as exciting on mile and a half’s as it has been

Down about 20% for Phoenix and about 10% for Homestead. I'm curious to know what theories people have about why the 2019 season overall showed a (slight) upward trajectory from the lows of 2018, but ratings for the final two playoffs races were down significantly. There are many possibilities. I know what I think, but will wait to hear from others.

Down about 20% for Phoenix and about 10% for Homestead. I'm curious to know what theories people have about why the 2019 season overall showed a (slight) upward trajectory from the lows of 2018, but ratings for the final two playoffs races were down significantly. There are many possibilities. I know what I think, but will wait to hear from others.

Yesterday’s race didn’t run into FNIA’s time slot like it has in years past, that could have been part of the decline.

Yesterday’s race didn’t run into FNIA’s time slot like it has in years past, that could have been part of the decline.

Certain previous years that set highs benefited from this, yes. Not last year's. I had to look it up, but the 2018 race started 25 minutes earlier and ended 13 minutes earlier.

New shine on the package wore off towards the end of the season, no Logano/Truex moment for a race win, Logano/Hamlin was just a sideshow that fizzled out, lack of cautions post-Bubba spin, not enough wrecks for casuals, cars looked glued, not enough passing, Toyotas etc. all my crackpot theories.

Steve Phelps said ratings are up 4% this year. All of sports are down 9%, and the share is plus 9 that is taking share from some where else. BTW less people are watching TV

Season ended with a dud. Stinks because the regular season really was filled with amazing races, just down the stretch it was less than exciting. I think you can blame the package a little on the short tracks, but by and large they just weren’t very drama filled races

Phoenix was the 18th race this season to set or tie a ratings low and the 15th to do so in viewership, most of those previous lows coming last year. Flat or up 1% for the year seems about right.

Phoenix was the 18th race this season to set or tie a ratings low and the 15th to do so in viewership, most of those previous lows coming last year. Flat or up 1% for the year seems about right.
Phoenix wrecked the growth on NBC, but to be fair, to see how things have sort of regulated is a positive. At the same time, for the last two races to drop is kind of surprising. It maybe a wake-up call IMO about the next steps because 20 and 21 are going to vital to the long-term success of the sport.

The finals for this week: http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/skedball-weekly-sports-tv-ratings-11-11-11-17-2019.html

Fox finished up either 1% or 2% overall depending on the source. After Homestead, NBC is essentially flat. The 4% figure Phelps cited was pre-Phoenix.

Overall it should be considered a good TV year for NASCAR, as the downward trend was halted, and about half the schedule posted increases.

It merits figuring out why there was a general upward trend in viewership, yet the audience was less interested in the final two races to the championship than even last year. I would agree that Chase Elliott is a factor, that seems undeniable at this point. I also believe it is another signal that for all the endless hype they pour into it, the whole playoffs and finale thing don't resonate with the casual fans they were adopted to capture.

a person can blame the declining viewership the last couple of races on just about anything and think their reason is correct. I posted it first so I am going with the reason of the decline in ratings goes back to when they let them put skirts on the car Skirts and racing should never be used in the same sentence.

A lot comes down to the drivers. The numbers for the playoff seemed to be just fine until Chase Elliott was knocked out of championship contention early in the Phoenix race. It's what happens when the TV networks put too much focus on the championship.

A lot comes down to the drivers. The numbers for the playoff seemed to be just fine until Chase Elliott was knocked out of championship contention early in the Phoenix race. It's what happens when the TV networks put too much focus on the championship.

Agreed. Personally I couldn’t care too much about the title anyways, more about each race

Over 7 million viewers and a 4.2 rating for Monday's Daytona 500.

NaSCar iS dYing :confused:
Anyone have the hour by hour ratings? I would say it's a huge difference between 4 PM when it started and almost 8 PM when it ended

Back
Top Bottom