NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

The same fanbase that was complaining for the past damn five or six years(or more) about Indy being one of the worst tracks for NASCAR.

Now nostalgia kicks in and its forgotten, now people miss the oval.

Goodness.
I really dont think there would have been such a negative opinion of the race without NASCAR’s race control making the last 10 laps into a circus. IMO it was a solid entertaining event moving at a quick pace and then it all went to hell between the drivers racing with zero respect and NASCAR choosing the TV Guide over safety.

But they were clamoring to watch in 2019 with marginally better ratings than 2021 on the road course. 3M to 2.8 lol.
You proved my point. Much of the viewing audience has no interest in the Indy RC, and road courses in general pull lower ratings. This sport was built, and thrives, on oval racing - and Indy has sucked ass for an oval race in the last decade.

But they were clamoring to watch in 2019 with marginally better ratings than 2021 on the road course. 3M to 2.8 lol.
2019 was the one time the event ever went head-to-head against the NFL regular season, which was probably the biggest goofball experiment of all. That was also the intent the year before but it was washed out to Monday.

Besides those two years Indy has never drawn fewer than 4.3M viewers.

The same fanbase that was complaining for the past damn five or six years(or more) about Indy being one of the worst tracks for NASCAR.

Now nostalgia kicks in and its forgotten, now people miss the oval.

Goodness.
Early DW12 Indy 500s were probably one of the worst things to happen to the 400. Once people got the idea you could have constant slingshot passes for the lead NASCAR started tinkering with aero ducts and spoilers and wicker bills and restrictor plates at IMS. Truthfully, that type of racing represents a very tiny fragment of Indy 500 history.

Early DW12 Indy 500s were probably one of the worst things to happen to the 400. Once people got the idea you could have constant slingshot passes for the lead NASCAR started tinkering with aero ducts and spoilers and wicker bills and restrictor plates at IMS. Truthfully, that type of racing represents a very tiny fragment of Indy 500 history.
To piggy back off your point as long as I can remember People also complain about Pocono or have complained about Pocono in the past being boring, which I myself never understood. I think the moral of the story is you're not going to make everyone 100% completely happy but in some instances like this one IMO it didnt have to be tinkered with in the first place.

Also, I think the biggest decider was the 2015 Fontana race. That probably made executives loose their **** about that type of racing.

This was / is a Penske initiative.

Surely no-one here really thinks that guy is going to give up after the first attempt.

No, I don't think he will give up at all, but that is also why he will probably never sell me or anyone in our group a ticket again. Some things just aren't meant to be messed with, and this is one of them. If Roger wants to be a jackass about this, that's his call, he bought the place, but we won't be subsidizing his decision either.

2019 had higher ratings than this race despite being up against NFL week one football.

A Major is gone and the ratings reflect that.

Considering attendance gets lower in the latter part of the season, and some markets were covered with a football game instead of the race, and the race was bumped to NBCSN, a 2.8 as far as road courses this year Indy held it's own

1629238724322.png

This is what NASCAR wants so desperately.

To piggy back off your point as long as I can remember People also complain about Pocono or have complained about Pocono in the past being boring, which I myself never understood. I think the moral of the story is you're not going to make everyone 100% completely happy but in some instances like this one IMO it didnt have to be tinkered with in the first place.

I've said Pocono is boring if you're actually there because it's one of the worst tracks to see a race from in the stands and even high up, you really miss all the action cause the infield blocks so much of the view. I like the races on TV though.

Has anyone seen a study or report on the effect on the fan base as it relates to sharing a time slot with CFB or the NFL? It seems to me that racing fans would rather watch the race anyway. I see the football competition brought up a lot and was curious about that.

Tinkering as you call it is a way to judge or experiment with changes that can make something better than it is. In the case of Pocono going to two separate races, there was a prevailing whine about that change (the majority of the forum hates change in any form) that proved to be a good tinker. Not all changes work, but this place isn't where one would look for unbiased opinions. Surveys, ratings, sponsor approvals, and fan participation at the tracks (ticket sales) all play a part in the overall decision.

Tinkering as you call it is a way to judge or experiment with changes that can make something better than it is. In the case of Pocono going to two separate races, there was a prevailing whine about that change (the majority of the forum hates change in any form) that proved to be a good tinker. Not all changes work, but this place isn't where one would look for unbiased opinions. Surveys, ratings, sponsor approvals, and fan participation at the tracks (ticket sales) all play a part in the overall decision.
Well first off, I think the wording in my initial post you responded to here was a bit confusing on my end. I actually didnt care about Pocono losing a race or becoming a double header, I actually liked the Double Header idea alot last year. Thought it was a real innovative idea. I also understand that my opinion on here in the grand scheme of things is nil when NASCAR makes a decision like that or Indianapolis, no worries there on my end. My point was that I thought it was the wrong move IMO to move the Brickyard from the oval to the road course because in my estimation because the race has lost it's prestige a bit and the competitor in the sport have said this on social media, I am not the one saying that but I sure of course agree with that sentiment. For me personally, I'd try innovative ideas all day at races not named the Daytona 500, Coca Cola 600, Southern 500 and Brickyard 400, I always thought those races were the crown jewels or to liken it to a golf analogy "NASCAR's Majors". Lastly, apologies it took so long to respond as work has been crazy busy at this time.

What Daytona and Talladega COULD be, if they could come come up with a better package and convince the drives not to run over each other and wipe out half the field.

That can't be good. Wow.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
It’s not that bad. He basically says there will be some additional streaming element but they can’t go all in on it because of sponsorship being sold on TV numbers and needing that broader exposure. To speculate, that probably means stuff like practice and qualifying sessions, maybe the occasional Truck or Xfinity race. NBC is also much further down the road with OTT streaming than FOX, who has little in it at the moment, so most changes would probably be for only half of the season.

What little streaming of sports events I have done, I have not been terribly impressed, and it's something else you have to screw with if you want to watch something. And for me, if I want to see it on my TV, it's an even bigger hassle, and no, I'm not replacing a perfectly good TV just to make it easier, and I don't always watch in the same room either. This doesn't even begin to take into account the fact that the rates for cable and internet services have been jacked to the moon, in part because these idiot TV networks vastly overpaid for broadcast rights to sporting events, and now they are going to dump them off on their streaming channels, and want to get paid even more money so I can keep watching what I have already paid a gazillion dollars so I could see it. I promise you that even as all this content goes streaming, the cable bill NEVER goes down. If there is anything that finally drives me away from this sport, this crap might just be the straw that breaks the camels back. I'm sick and tired of having to shell out more just because their business model is so bad. I will also tell you that it definitely will be the end for many in the older crowd, which is still a BIG part of the NASCAR audience, even if they are not the "hot' demographic. My dad is 78, and watches about every minute of NASCAR coverage because he mostly has nothing else to do. He doesn't even have streaming capability, wouldn't know how to use it if he did, and would NEVER go out and spend the money on it. If it's not on one of his 500 cable channels, it simply does not exist for him and a lot like him.

What little streaming of sports events I have done, I have not been terribly impressed, and it's something else you have to screw with if you want to watch something. And for me, if I want to see it on my TV, it's an even bigger hassle, and no, I'm not replacing a perfectly good TV just to make it easier, and I don't always watch in the same room either. This doesn't even begin to take into account the fact that the rates for cable and internet services have been jacked to the moon, in part because these idiot TV networks vastly overpaid for broadcast rights to sporting events, and now they are going to dump them off on their streaming channels, and want to get paid even more money so I can keep watching what I have already paid a gazillion dollars so I could see it. I promise you that even as all this content goes streaming, the cable bill NEVER goes down. If there is anything that finally drives me away from this sport, this crap might just be the straw that breaks the camels back. I'm sick and tired of having to shell out more just because their business model is so bad. I will also tell you that it definitely will be the end for many in the older crowd, which is still a BIG part of the NASCAR audience, even if they are not the "hot' demographic. My dad is 78, and watches about every minute of NASCAR coverage because he mostly has nothing else to do. He doesn't even have streaming capability, wouldn't know how to use it if he did, and would NEVER go out and spend the money on it. If it's not on one of his 500 cable channels, it simply does not exist for him and a lot like him.

Streaming is the future, doesn't matter if you don't like it, the younger generations do and that is the way it's going to go. Eventually there will be no more cable channels so if you don't stream you won't be watching tv. The times, they are a changing.

Well, if somebody explain to me how having to subscribe to eight differnt streaming services to watch twelve shows is an improvement over cable, I'd love to hear it.

Well, if somebody explain to me how having to subscribe to eight differnt streaming services to watch twelve shows is an improvement over cable, I'd love to hear it.
It is just another way for the gatekeepers to squeeze out a bit of money out of the public. Some who have to have the latest whiz bang will of course jump all over it. I guess some think the cable companies are going to lay down and kick up their feet and say oh no we're done.

Back
Top Bottom