NASCAR to reward regular season champ

Just to remind everyone that the last champion before the chase was criticized for winning only only 1 race while leading the points standings 33 of the 36 weeks. He won the championship before the last last race.

Matt Kenseth earned that championship. I've never complained about that.

Rusty Wallace had 10 wins in 1993 and 8 wins in 1994 and Dale Earnhardt won the championship both times.

Mark Martin had three 3 when he won the championship in 1990 while Dale Earnhardt had 9 wins.

1996 Winston Cup champion Terry Labonte only won 2 races while Jeff Gordon won 10 races that year.

Honestly the biggest change to The Chase I'd make is the track list. If we're going to crown the best driver of the season in 10 races, then we need 10 different kind of tracks in those 10 races. That way a driver can truly say that he is the best if he can advance through a bull-ring, dirt track, 1.5 oval, road course, super speedway, etc. etc.

Honestly the biggest change to The Chase I'd make is the track list. If we're going to crown the best driver of the season in 10 races, then we need 10 different kind of tracks in those 10 races. That way a driver can truly say that he is the best if he can advance through a bull-ring, dirt track, 1.5 oval, road course, super speedway, etc. etc.

If Nascar demands a playoff system, I wish they would have done something simpler and stuck with it. 32 race "regular season" under the old weighted points scale, with a four race "playoff" between the top four drivers in the standings. Points among those four are reset, but bonus points for each regular season win. The four tracks being a balanced variety: Martinsville, Sonoma, Phoenix, Atlanta.

At this point they need to quit screwing with it, for the sake of consistency if nothing else. Although I completely agree with you about the tracks.

Yet, what amazes me is that this system (and yeah, I acknowledge that there are flaws) has crowned two worthy Champions IMO....regardless of the waiver argument for Kyle, what is without argument is that Harvick in '14 and Kyle in '15 were amongst the best two or three drivers in their respective seasons. What more can you ask for?

I think Harvick was in 4th place, he became champion because he won the last race.
Winning one race is a farce for a championship. Football fans must love this format. I guess that's why they are flocking to the track.
BTW for Kyle to be a champion in 2015, this is the only format he could be.

Matt Kenseth earned that championship. I've never complained about that.

Rusty Wallace had 10 wins in 1993 and 8 wins in 1994 and Dale Earnhardt won the championship both times.

Mark Martin had three 3 when he won the championship in 1990 while Dale Earnhardt had 9 wins.

1996 Winston Cup champion Terry Labonte only won 2 races while Jeff Gordon won 10 races that year.

Winning is everything......................... final 4 at Homestead.

How about crowning the regular season champion as long as he/she has the most points after 36 races? I know that sounds absurd and would be completely crazy because it has never been done before, but...why not think outside the box?

Imagine explaining to the non-fan how someone won a championship but didn't really win the championship. Laughing stock.

A non-fan doesn't care by definition.

maybe if u crash u get a larger deduction

Why would you give an additional deduction to a race leader who was taken out by a lapped car who blew up in front of him ? Come on folks , his doesn't have to be complicated .

Because of the Chase the regular season has gotten more interesting. Rather than trying to have a good points day teams tend to gamble more with the mantra "win and in", the races seem different to me than the pre-chase style racing. During the Chase the teams are racing more like the old days. I enjoy both styles of racing.

Because of the Chase the regular season has gotten more interesting. Rather than trying to have a good points day teams tend to gamble more with the mantra "win and in", the races seem different to me than the pre-chase style racing. During the Chase the teams are racing more like the old days. I enjoy both styles of racing.
With 16 teams taking part in the post season good points days can't be underrated. When was the last time that we've had 16 different winners in a season? I'm too damn lazy to look it up but I'm guessing if it has happened, it's been a long, long time ago.

Two teams benefited from the 'win and in' clause this season. They were the only teams outside the top 16 that got to advance to the Chase. Where are they now? Outside looking in. Probably just where they should be. All of the other teams that won a race this season would have been in the top 16 anyhow making the 'win and in' clause virtually meaningless in all reality. Points would have had them in there. The Chase field is too large @ 16.

Knowing that the Chase is here to stay and they're going to change it each and every year anyhow..... If they truly wanted to make the 'win and in' completely meaningful, reduce the Chase field for the last 10 races down to 8 or even 6 teams. Those with the most wins and those with the highest point total with a win advance to run for the title. That way someone simply pointing their way into the Chase will be all but eliminated. I believe that would give teams an even larger incentive to run up front and challenge for the win. It would also give teams with a single win more incentive to go for another win in order to assure their spot in the post season.

Put the road course in the Chase. If they are going to continue to use the three elimination races in the three segment format, make that road race the elimination race at the end of the first segment. Put Talladega in the 3rd position of races four through six. Move Martinsville to the 3rd position of races seven through nine. All three of those cutoff races should be spectacles. All three of those formats of racing are looked at as exciting races. I don't really care what racing-forums.com members think of Talladega and restrictor plate racing. That is a race that people tune in for.

If we've got to be subjected to this type of post season in NASCAR, make it exciting. Spice it up some.

I think Harvick was in 4th place, he became champion because he won the last race.

Anybody going to argue that Harvick wasn't the best car/driver/team in 2014?

Best Wishes,

TRD Fanboi

According to the Chase format he sure was. The best over the entire season..... Nope, not even close.

You are arguing that Kevin Harvick was not the most dominant car/team/driver in 2014? From the test in Charlotte to Homestead, nobody was even close. Not close. It pains me to say it, but anybody but Harvick winning in 2014 would have been the farce.

You are arguing that Kevin Harvick was not the most dominant car/team/driver in 2014? From the test in Charlotte to Homestead, nobody was even close. Not close. It pains me to say it, but anybody but Harvick winning in 2014 would have been the farce.
Over the last 2/3 of the season yes, but despite getting a couple wins early, the 4 team was a dumpster fire for the first third of 2014. I don't think they even cracked the Top 10 in points until June. Harvick got hot when it mattered, but I would argue that Jeff Gordon had a better overall season than Harvick had in 2014.

I'm not arguing about anything. You can't argue opinions. I'm a numbers guy. I think Jeff Gordon, by far, had the best season overall.

Over the last 2/3 of the season yes, but despite getting a couple wins early, the 4 team was a dumpster fire for the first third of 2014. I don't think they even cracked the Top 10 in points until June. Harvick got hot when it mattered, but I would argue that Jeff Gordon had a better overall season than Harvick had in 2014.

In terms of speed, nobody was close to Harvick. Points lie in this format, and we all know that. Anybody but Harvick in 2014 would have been a joke....but I would have loved it just the same had it been Denny.

In terms of speed, nobody was close to Harvick. Points lie in this format, and we all know that. Anybody but Harvick in 2014 would have been a joke....but I would have loved it just the same had it been Denny.

Funny, Harvick's 2015 year was vastly better than 2014...but I guess you don't have a problem with the joke champion that year.

If we're talking about points racing, then yeah, Harvick shouldn't have been champion.

The 4 team was 12th in points after the 12th race of the season in 2014, they were struggling to make points, yes. But they still ended up leading 772 leads in those first 12 races and had a win.

Just for comparisons sake (since I like to argue this point):

-Gordon would have been 1st with non-Chase standings compared to Harvick 5th (-86)
-Gordon after 12 races: 1 win, 5 top 5's, 9 top 10's, 266 laps led, 0 DNF's, 1st in points
-Harvick after 12 races: 2 wins, 4 top 5's, 6 top 10's, 772 laps led, 2 DNF's, 12th in points
-Gordon in 10 chase races: 1 win, 5 top 5's, 6 top 10's, 538 laps led, 339 chase points in 10 races
-Harvick in 10 chase races: 3 wins, 6 top 5's, 7 top 10's, 891 laps led, 379 chase points in 10 races

With 16 teams taking part in the post season good points days can't be underrated. When was the last time that we've had 16 different winners in a season? I'm too damn lazy to look it up but I'm guessing if it has happened, it's been a long, long time ago.

Two teams benefited from the 'win and in' clause this season. They were the only teams outside the top 16 that got to advance to the Chase. Where are they now? Outside looking in. Probably just where they should be. All of the other teams that won a race this season would have been in the top 16 anyhow making the 'win and in' clause virtually meaningless in all reality. Points would have had them in there. The Chase field is too large @ 16.

Knowing that the Chase is here to stay and they're going to change it each and every year anyhow..... If they truly wanted to make the 'win and in' completely meaningful, reduce the Chase field for the last 10 races down to 8 or even 6 teams. Those with the most wins and those with the highest point total with a win advance to run for the title. That way someone simply pointing their way into the Chase will be all but eliminated. I believe that would give teams an even larger incentive to run up front and challenge for the win. It would also give teams with a single win more incentive to go for another win in order to assure their spot in the post season.

Put the road course in the Chase. If they are going to continue to use the three elimination races in the three segment format, make that road race the elimination race at the end of the first segment. Put Talladega in the 3rd position of races four through six. Move Martinsville to the 3rd position of races seven through nine. All three of those cutoff races should be spectacles. All three of those formats of racing are looked at as exciting races. I don't really care what racing-forums.com members think of Talladega and restrictor plate racing. That is a race that people tune in for.

If we've got to be subjected to this type of post season in NASCAR, make it exciting. Spice it up some.

^This.

They keep changing the format because they never take enough time to really think it through and weigh all options. Then when the format isn't as exciting as they thought (go figure) they throw more crap at the wall to see what sticks. 'Here's the new Chase format, it'll be better!' Rinse, repeat.

They have been growing the number of Chase spots with each new format when they should have been reducing.

Personally, I will get flack for this, BUT a lot of people would complain IMO if it was the Winston Cup Style format 36 races long. I think if they're going to do the old format, then the schedule needs to be 31-33 races, with a few of these tracks not getting two dates for the sake of attendance, interest, and giving other tracks a chance on the schedule, but the SMI/ISC monopoly will not allow that.

If we're talking Chase formats, I thought top 10 with seedings 1-10 from 2004-2006 was fine.

Personally, I will get flack for this, BUT a lot of people would complain IMO if it was the Winston Cup Style format 36 races long. I think if they're going to do the old format, then the schedule needs to be 31-33 races, with a few of these tracks not getting two dates for the sake of attendance, interest, and giving other tracks a chance on the schedule, but the SMI/ISC monopoly will not allow that.

If we're talking Chase formats, I thought top 10 with seedings 1-10 from 2004-2006 was fine.
I agree, no repeat visits to tracks would be ideal. Not sure of the number of races per year though. Maybe single visits to venues would open up visits to other venues that we haven't had a chance to see these guys/gal race on.

Speed is one thing, putting together a complete race is another, which the 4 team wasn't doing very often in the first half of 2014.

And I don't know where the "anybody but Harvick would have been a joke" stuff is coming from. Gordon, Logano, or Kez winning the title that year wouldn't have been a joke.

^This.

They keep changing the format because they never take enough time to really think it through and weigh all options. Then when the format isn't as exciting as they thought (go figure) they throw more crap at the wall to see what sticks. 'Here's the new Chase format, it'll be better!' Rinse, repeat.

They have been growing the number of Chase spots with each new format when they should have been reducing.
It shouldn't be easy to make the post season, period.

I agree, no repeat visits to tracks would be ideal. Not sure of the number of races per year though. Maybe single visits to venues would open up visits to other venues that we haven't had a chance to see these guys/gal race on.

Daytona, Talladega, Martinsville, Richmond, Bristol should be the only tracks with 2 dates (Charlotte has 2 with the All-Star)
Phoenix, Texas (lengthen it's one race), Kansas, Dover, Pocono (back to 500), Michigan (back to 500), New Hampshire, Charlotte lose a race.
Gateway, Iowa, Montreal, Road America gain a race, perhaps ISC or SMI could renovate Evergreen or build a track in the Denver/Seattle market similar to Rockingham to get at 33.

Daytona, Talladega, Martinsville, Richmond, Bristol should be the only tracks with 2 dates (Charlotte has 2 with the All-Star)
Phoenix, Texas (lengthen it's one race), Kansas, Dover, Pocono (back to 500), Michigan (back to 500), New Hampshire, Charlotte lose a race.
Gateway, Iowa, Montreal, Road America gain a race, perhaps ISC or SMI could renovate Evergreen or build a track in the Denver/Seattle market similar to Rockingham to get at 33.
Sounds fine to me. Let's do this thing!

It shouldn't be easy to make the post season, period.
Aside from college basketball, 16 is too many in any sport. I have the same gripe with the NBA and the NHL. Seeing a 38-44 team get drubbed by the Cavs or Warriors in the first round does nothing for me.

Aside from college basketball, 16 is too many in any sport. I have the same gripe with the NBA and the NHL. Seeing a 38-44 team get drubbed by the Cavs or Warriors in the first round does nothing for me.
I don't pay enough attention to the NBA to have a qualified opinion but yeah, a sub .500 team in head to head competition should never make the playoffs.

I was kinda curious and found a site that listed the top 10 for every race (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NASCAR_seasons). I picked 1990 and checked, there were 14 different winners. Earnhardt had 9 wins (guess who won the championship); Martian and G. Bodine had 3, Cope and Wallace had 2, and the rest single victories.

I was kinda curious and found a site that listed the top 10 for every race (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NASCAR_seasons). I picked 1990 and checked, there were 14 different winners. Earnhardt had 9 wins (guess who won the championship); Martian and G. Bodine had 3, Cope and Wallace had 2, and the rest single victories.
Someone's not lazy like me.....

14 winners vying for 8 Chase spots sounds a lot more exciting than 14 winners and a couple non winners making the Chase. Maybe that's just me?

Having guys like Jamie McMurray and Austin Dillon in there--guys who have barely done anything more than bring the car home in one piece regularly--makes the Chase even more ridiculous than it appeared previously. If we have to have the Chase, an 8 or 10-team playoff would be more reasonable, and make making the Chase meaningful again.

They wanted sixteen nations to make it work as it does.

All to provide the seventh game excitement/drama.

To enhance the fan experience, a plate race of determining a championship.

Back
Top Bottom