NASCAR to standardize at-track rosters beginning in 2018

I don't know if this is bad timing or what, but when Truex brushed the wall in practice, they had a Toyotathon working on that thing. I thought at the time, there is your loosely disguised Toyota factory team. The 18 crew members over there working on a competitor's car?
Same can be applied to say a HMS car, its not uncommon to see HMS members from different teams working on car , so its just not Toyota that does, lets be fair about it.

Same can be applied to say a HMS car, its not uncommon to see HMS members from different teams working on car , so its just not Toyota that does, lets be fair about it.

Thats not the same.

Yeah ... I'm sure no-one from Hendrick Motorsports has ever pitched in at the track to help another GM runner ... most especially the ones purchasing chassis, engineering expertise, track test and sim data and other things from Mr. Hendrick.

I don't see any separate Chevy of Ford team helping the other separate organization pull out bodywork, or sitting another separate teams crew members down for time out either..maybe it was amends for Preacher's meddling. Looks like 6 factory teams to me.

It is interesting seeing what is being addressed are million dollar alien pit guns, segregating who is who on a team, and both of these issues have been brought to the surface because of the Toyota's..jus sayin. I wonder if ol Joe will be able to remove pit crew members from another team now?

It is interesting seeing what is being addressed are million dollar alien pit guns, segregating who is who on a team, and both of these issues have been brought to the surface because of the Toyota's..jus sayin. I wonder if ol Joe will be able to remove pit crew members from another team now?
I wonder what will be taken away if Toyota is able to win 13 consecutive manufacturer's championships?

I have a bit of faith that Nascar will even it up. Toyota will need much better drivers to do that all things being equal, Jones and Suarez, really have to step up and take up the slack.

I don't see any separate Chevy of Ford team helping the other separate organization pull out bodywork, or sitting another separate teams crew members down for time out either..maybe it was amends for Preacher's meddling. Looks like 6 factory teams to me.
Chevy and Ford could do the same thing Toyota does, nothing is stopping them.

I bet it will happen soon .. maybe a few more years or so
I wonder about the durability of air jacks. Could there be accidents that might damage the air jacks beyond operation but with the rest of the car otherwise repairable? If that was the case, would a manual jack (and jackman!) be allowed?

I doubt air jacks will be the norm but that is just my opinion.
The roster allowed at the track ( in the garage) are limited on pit road but I think they could all muster in the garage to fix a car. Mind you they can only fix mechanical things at present during a race and usually a back up car is used if there is an accident during practice.
I wonder when these new body panels are used full time if Nascar will allow them to be replaced during a race?

The roster allowed at the track ( in the garage) are limited on pit road but I think they could all muster in the garage to fix a car. Mind you they can only fix mechanical things at present during a race and usually a back up car is used if there is an accident during practice.
I wonder when these new body panels are used full time if Nascar will allow them to be replaced during a race?

from what I can tell they are as durable maybe more in some instances as the metal. I think they will only have bear bond for those too. They are using them since 2015 in the Pintys, ARCA and the K&N series series, I've seen some pretty hard hits.

from what I can tell they are as durable maybe more in some instances as the metal. I think they will only have bear bond for those too. They are using them since 2015 in the Pintys, ARCA and the K&N series series, I've seen some pretty hard hits.
I assume you're discussing body panels and not air jacks. Durability isn't the question, it's whether NASCAR will change the current rule prohibiting the replacement of bodywork.

What about the engine tuners from the various engine suppliers? Anybody thought about them ? Nastycar fixing something that ain't broke. Bunch of clowns running the show.One thing that has never been fixed in all of racing is this statement, "Speed costs money! How fast do you want to go?"

I wonder about the durability of air jacks. Could there be accidents that might damage the air jacks beyond operation but with the rest of the car otherwise repairable? If that was the case, would a manual jack (and jackman!) be allowed?

Indy car seems to have them figured out but the cars are much lighter

What about the engine tuners from the various engine suppliers? Anybody thought about them ? Nastycar fixing something that ain't broke. Bunch of clowns running the show.One thing that has never been fixed in all of racing is this statement, "Speed costs money! How fast do you want to go?"
I'm sure that wont change, the Tuners are part of and included in the Engine lease program. Where that engine goes, they go.

As somebody that has done that job, carrying one safely is tough enough. If so, that would likely mean going back to the tire changers placing the wheel on the hub they way they did it years ago. I see much slower less fluid pit stops and more runaway tires on pit road.
Yep definitely slower

You're not allowed to replace damaged bodywork as of this year.

I don't see how developing and implementing air jacks would be that much cheaper than employing a jackman.
You continue to apply logic rather than emotion.

I wonder if there’s a cure for that.

Air jack systems are available from racing suppliers now. Very little development needed.
Are any of the existing systems lifting 3400 pounds?

Most of the systems I've seen are mounted in the center of the car with two lift points, front and rear. Will two work for a stockrcar or would four be required (one at each corner)?

This is just taking competition out of the sport. I don't have a problem with the 5 members over the wall but making the guns standardized I don't really understand. Might as well just set a standard pit time and just give the teams that much time to service the car if this is the way they are going.

FIA GT cars use 4 so I believe that would work . I by no means advocate any of this but if they insist on cutting over the wall people why not center lock wheels and overhead fuel rigs? I figured out many years ago that any time the powers that be say "we're going to cut teams costs" ends up being more expensive

This is just taking competition out of the sport. I don't have a problem with the 5 members over the wall but making the guns standardized I don't really understand. Might as well just set a standard pit time and just give the teams that much time to service the car if this is the way they are going.

It takes the million dollar pit gun competition away. RIP pit gun. Does nothing to take the pit crew or pit stop competition for speed out of the box away.

FIA GT cars use 4 so I believe that would work . I by no means advocate any of this but if they insist on cutting over the wall people why not center lock wheels and overhead fuel rigs? I figured out many years ago that any time the powers that be say "we're going to cut teams costs" ends up being more expensive
GTE/GT3 are still at least 500 pounds lighter, so it wouldn’t just be plug-and-play. They’d have to be worked on to some degree.

I'm not one to believe "were going to cut teams costs" means necessarily that teams will spend it elsewhere. Part of Nascar's DNA is the pit stop. Knowing how tight Nascar's competition is, I would be willing to bet that the jack they use is comparable to what a simple air jack system would cost. But it wouldn't be after the Nascar teams got a hold of it. It is much easier to take things away in Nascar then add them.

GTE/GT3 are still at least 500 pounds lighter, so it wouldn’t just be plug-and-play. They’d have to be worked on to some degree.
You are correct . I don't think it would take a major redesign to do this. Not advocating this, just saying it can be done

I'm not one to believe "were going to cut teams costs" means necessarily that teams will spend it elsewhere. Part of Nascar's DNA is the pit stop. Knowing how tight Nascar's competition is, I would be willing to bet that the jack they use is comparable to what a simple air jack system would cost. But it wouldn't be after the Nascar teams got a hold of it. It is much easier to take things away in Nascar then add them.
The effort to make up what is taken away is always expensive

You are correct . I don't think it would take a major redesign to do this. Not advocating this, just saying it can be done

The effort to make up what is taken away is always expensive
I bet the mechanical engineers and the CNC men down on the shop floor making the alien pit guns would have a different opinion.

I think a standard pit gun is a good thing. I was thinking about cutting road crew and otw guys. I'd hate to see ANY driver miss a race because an engine change or backup car cannot be done in time on one of the stupid two day shows. Engine tuners are included in road crew counts. Teams will have to overcome these cutbacks and that is never cheap

I think a standard pit gun is a good thing. I was thinking about cutting road crew and otw guys. I'd hate to see ANY driver miss a race because an engine change or backup car cannot be done in time on one of the stupid two day shows. Engine tuners are included in road crew counts. Teams will have to overcome these cutbacks and that is never cheap
they have plenty of personnel next year to change a car over. The two engine rule is going to make a difference also. I do wonder what is going to happen if a team blows thru their engine allotment for the season.

On the personnel, you could be spot on. On the engine I hope they don't start grid penalties like F1 . What happens if the engine is damaged in a crash? There is always the potential for anything to go wrong in racing

On the personnel, you could be spot on. On the engine I hope they don't start grid penalties like F1 . What happens if the engine is damaged in a crash? There is always the potential for anything to go wrong in racing
I see all kinds of different circumstances with the sealed engines. Guys stopping on the track instead of taking a chance of overheating, the restrictor plate track crashes, how much tape they can run and keep the engine healthy. A whole bunch of strategy involved. I know in I think the trucks, might be xfinity, crew chiefs have told the drivers not to burn it down when they win because they have to use the engine again.

Back
Top Bottom