NASCAR to standardize at-track rosters beginning in 2018

New pit road rules will present challenges not only to teams but drivers

NASCAR’s new pit road rules will force drivers to be more precise, patient and perceptive say those who will face the challenges from the driver’s seat.

Daytona Speedweeks, which begins Feb. 10, will solve the mystery of how teams will pit cars with five people going over the wall instead of six and using standardized pit guns instead of their own creations.

The consensus is that pit stops will be slower. It’s just a matter of how much slower.

“Between the two changes I think you will see us where last year a good pit stop was something in the 10-second range, a good pit stop this coming year will probably be in the 12-second range,’’ Brad Keselowski said.

What will be worth watching is how teams do their pit stops. Will each tire changer carry a tire? Will a jackman carry a tire? How will teams handle taking right-side tires back to pit wall?

“Until you get to Daytona and do your first live pit stop we’re all just guessing,’’ Michael McDowell told NBC Sports. “We’re running through strategies at the shop, running through different scenarios. Which way is going to be the fastest? What happens if you do two tires? What if you do no tires? Who should carry what?

“Somebody is going to do something different at Daytona and it’s going to be a little bit faster and teams are going to catch on. You’re just hoping you’re the one that … sets the pace.’’

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2018/01...ent-challenges-not-only-to-teams-but-drivers/

You probably weren't a fan then but 15 or 20 years ago, TV commentator and Cup champion Benny Parsons had a standing offer. He'd give $100 to each crewman (back then it was 7) if they could turn in a pit stop in under 13 seconds. He carried the cash with him every week, but he didn't have to pay off more than a couple of times.

My point is that at one time a 13-second pit stop was phenomenal. Fans accepted stops in the mid-13s as great, and the high-13 or low-14 second range was considered normal. It's just a question of what you're used to.

But assuming the tire changes take longer (which has yet to be demonstrated), there should be no excuse for leaving without a full gas tank.

15 or 20 years ago? As far as I remember sub-13 second pit stops weren't common til 2010 or so.

New pit road rules will present challenges not only to teams but drivers

NASCAR’s new pit road rules will force drivers to be more precise, patient and perceptive say those who will face the challenges from the driver’s seat.

Daytona Speedweeks, which begins Feb. 10, will solve the mystery of how teams will pit cars with five people going over the wall instead of six and using standardized pit guns instead of their own creations.

The consensus is that pit stops will be slower. It’s just a matter of how much slower.

“Between the two changes I think you will see us where last year a good pit stop was something in the 10-second range, a good pit stop this coming year will probably be in the 12-second range,’’ Brad Keselowski said.

What will be worth watching is how teams do their pit stops. Will each tire changer carry a tire? Will a jackman carry a tire? How will teams handle taking right-side tires back to pit wall?

“Until you get to Daytona and do your first live pit stop we’re all just guessing,’’ Michael McDowell told NBC Sports. “We’re running through strategies at the shop, running through different scenarios. Which way is going to be the fastest? What happens if you do two tires? What if you do no tires? Who should carry what?

“Somebody is going to do something different at Daytona and it’s going to be a little bit faster and teams are going to catch on. You’re just hoping you’re the one that … sets the pace.’’

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2018/01...ent-challenges-not-only-to-teams-but-drivers/

This is going to be interesting to watch. I just hope it isn't going to be a disaster.

Going to see a lot of races lost on pit road this year, and I kind of hate that. Also dreading how the 9 team is going to perform as bad as they already were with 6 guys :mad:

It is all the same for all teams, pit time will increase,but, if all on same page, no big deal to us fans. However, it is a way big deal to the teams, close to reinventing the wheel, to hear them tell it. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom