NASCAR to standardize at-track rosters beginning in 2018

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
NASCAR announced Wednesday that starting in 2018, the sanctioning body will standardize the number of at-track individuals who work on each race car for all three national series.
https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2...ia/2017/11/21/questions-answers-2018-rosters/
The biggest competition impact from the rules update is the the number of crewmembers who go over the wall for pit stops moving from six to five.

According to Steve O’Donnell, NASCAR Executive Vice President and Chief Racing Development Officer, the overall objective for standardized rosters is to promote better competition through increased parity, to improve safety and to cast a brighter spotlight on the sport’s team concept.

“As much as we can possibly level the playing field and introduce new winners, that’s really the goal and what we want for the fans,” O’Donnell said. “And so if you look at these initiatives with the over-the-wall crew going to five members, that fits into our overall structure from a roster standpoint. We feel like that again puts the focus on the athletes and also continues down that line of putting the focus on the teams and opening it up to as many teams as possible to continue to win races and therefore put a better product out there for the fans.”

At-track rosters for all three series will fall under three headings: Organizational, Road Crew and Pit Crew. Job descriptions and roster maximums for each category:

To numerous to post. Click the link for the full info including video explanation.....

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2...andardize-at-track-rosters-beginning-in-2018/

In other words, we don't want pit crews deciding who wins races.

DPPoWXTW0AYTiG_.jpg:large

Can't wait to see the "numbers" or "letters" on the pit crew. I am hoping a team will use Greek Letters so they will have alpha and beta crew members. At times NASCAR is so funny.

Can't wait to see the "numbers" or "letters" on the pit crew. I am hoping a team will use Greek Letters so they will have alpha and beta crew members. At times NASCAR is so funny.

Teaching kindergarten.

I dont think this is about safety at all. The minimization is not that great.

It complicates things more than helps, in my opinion. Expect a lot of confusing.

As somebody that has done that job, carrying one safely is tough enough. If so, that would likely mean going back to the tire changers placing the wheel on the hub they way they did it years ago. I see much slower less fluid pit stops and more runaway tires on pit road.

It stops the Gibbs crew from working on the FRR car at the track also.

It stops the Gibbs crew from working on the FRR car at the track also.

I don't know if this is bad timing or what, but when Truex brushed the wall in practice, they had a Toyotathon working on that thing. I thought at the time, there is your loosely disguised Toyota factory team. The 18 crew members over there working on a competitor's car?

I don't know if this is bad timing or what, but when Truex brushed the wall in practice, they had a Toyotathon working on that thing. I thought at the time, there is your loosely disguised Toyota factory team. The 18 crew members over there working on a competitor's car?
Not uncommon.

Not uncommon.

I can't remember but it may have been Jack Roush that supplied the "underbird" that Alan Kulwicki won his championship in at Atlanta. Regardless even a casual observer like me knows that teams and personnel helping each other is not uncommon and it isn't uncommon across many industries. There is a lot of cooperation in the Funeral business and the Towing/Recovery business.

weather you think it is not uncommon or not, it doesn't look like that will happen anymore
Simply stated a fact. That starts in the pits at the local level. At this level, mid-level and other teams often benefited from such assistance in the garage.

If it's no longer permitted, that's fine with me.

I've seen SHR guys working on their four cars together, but I have never seen them go work on a damaged Penski car.;)

This latest initiative just sounds like another way it is going to tr
weather you think it is not uncommon or not, it doesn't look like that will happen anymore

View attachment 30483

Don't forget that every rule Nascar implements come with a series of unintended consequences so who know what the fall out will be. This rule may outlaw cooperation among teams and personnel but it was never uncommon from short tracks, motorcycle racing to Cup.

This is gonna be great!. Tire changers possibly carrying thier own tires again? Setting them on the hub?, Bringing their own tire back around? Most likely, Tire carrier may be bringing the right rear so he can make adjustments? Tire carrier bringing both around? Jackman hanging a tire?

Possibly tire carrier will carry for both, dropping the right front first then right rear and then hanging the right rear, Jackman will get car up then hang the right front then on the lefts possibly rolling to the changer? Lots of interesting possibilities and pit crew strategy just changed dramatically.

This is gonna be great!. Tire changers possibly carrying thier own tires again? Setting them on the hub?, Bringing their own tire back around? Most likely, Tire carrier may be bringing the right rear so he can make adjustments? Tire carrier bringing both around? Jackman hanging a tire?

Possibly tire carrier will carry for both, dropping the right front first then right rear and then hanging the right rear, Jackman will get car up then hang the right front then on the lefts possibly rolling to the changer? Lots of interesting possibilities and pit crew strategy just changed dramatically.
WWBHJD?

The Wood Brothers will have it figured out over turkey tomorrow, probably by half-time of the Detroit game.

I can't remember but it may have been Jack Roush that supplied the "underbird" that Alan Kulwicki won his championship in at Atlanta. Regardless even a casual observer like me knows that teams and personnel helping each other is not uncommon and it isn't uncommon across many industries. There is a lot of cooperation in the Funeral business and the Towing/Recovery business.
Yep, over here in NHRA due to the 55 minute turn around time for live TV on Sun it is not uncommon for another team after they are eliminated to send a few crew members over to help another team make their turn around between rounds.

They should have named it the TRD rule, because 6 teams are better than 4.

Last edited:
Let's don't forget the Million dollar TRD guns that are going away.

Toyota couldn't win in F1, so they decided to spend $600 million per year in NASCAR.

So if there is only five over the wall, does this mean air jacks?
What sticks out to me is the fuel can man can't even stick the wrench in the back. Fuel only.
That leaves 4 guys to pit the car, jack man, front and rear tire changer, front and rear tire carrier.
I would like to see the tire carriers removed as well. :p
If a wheel nut is found to be loose the tire changer gets races off.

Back
Top Bottom