Nascar's Return to Nashville Speedway

https://www.tennessean.com/story/ne...ancing-275-m-nashville-mls-stadium/835596001/

Public bonds. Was approved under a previous mayor, not sure if the current mayor has a different position on MLS vs. NASCAR.
He doesn’t, our current mayor is all in on the MLS stadium as well but doesn’t want to spend a dime to bring NASCAR here.

I’d much rather spend my tax money on bringing NASCAR to FSN than to build a soccer stadium, as I couldn’t give two sh!ts about soccer.

He doesn’t, our current mayor is all in on the MLS stadium as well but doesn’t want to spend a dime to bring NASCAR here.

I’d much rather spend my tax money on bringing NASCAR to FSN than to build a soccer stadium, as I couldn’t give two sh!ts about soccer.

It works in some areas. For instance, Orlando City has been a hit. They have had some losing seasons as of late, but they sell tickets pretty well. Racing is not going to receive the same respect as well, but man it would be very disappointing to see Nashville get the funding needed for updates.

Also, I think NASCAR got a bit too excited about bringing Nashville back and rushed it. We will see, it will all depend on where Nashville is/if placed in the schedule. You already have Bristol on the schedule, where can Nashville be placed?

It works in some areas. For instance, Orlando City has been a hit. They have had some losing seasons as of late, but they sell tickets pretty well. Racing is not going to receive the same respect as well, but man it would be very disappointing to see Nashville get the funding needed for updates.

Also, I think NASCAR got a bit too excited about bringing Nashville back and rushed it. We will see, it will all depend on where Nashville is/if placed in the schedule. You already have Bristol on the schedule, where can Nashville be placed?
It’s not working in Chicago as the Chicago Fire have had their own soccer stadium since 07...and heavy rumors about a move back to Soldier Field due to numerous issues that can’t be detailed here. Seems like the more that comes out about this Nashville deal, sounds like NASCAR may have jumped the gun without Nashville having their ducks in a row. But I don’t know too much about this whole process, it just seems like it’s becoming a tale of NASCAR was never wanted back due to the city being all in with MLS

Soccer has been getting popular for the past 4 years. Parents don’t want their kids playing football so they sign them up for soccer, basketball, lacrosse and even e-sports.

It's pretty typical. The race track has been there for over a hundred years. So let's cram a brand new building next to it, and add in a soccer field for little Johnny. Nothing new the same ol same ol. all over the country the PC way to get rid of a race track.. Here at the fair grounds, they changed the track to horse racing, it is used only for that during the time the fair is here. The rest of the time there is a large air conditioned and heated building that horse racing fans can come, stare at the empty track, and watch horse racing on the big screen. City Govt's idea of making money and serving the public. (they got rid of the amusement park also at the fair grounds) too noisy. It is a parking lot now. Both were there long before the urban sprawl came.

the good thing about the 1.5's. and larger tracks. When something that large is built on private land, it is larger than the city government. City Gov't can B.S. their way around getting rid of smaller tracks. They don't pay much in income taxes, don't own much taxable land, and they are rarely multi purpose. It's really bad when they are on city government land. In comparison, stick n ball in this case kick ball, gets all of the pull (votes in city councils) from construction contractors, and developers, and all interested parties making a buck, and the press paints a blue sky picture about economic development for all, usually increases taxes for out of towners that doesn't affect the residents, and swinging deals on interest free long term bonds (funny money). The big new building gets built for more offices and resident city dwellers, little Johnny gets their green space down town, everybody gets their palm greased and the track becomes more paid parking for the downtown,

Nashville is a destination city -- Rockingham and Wilkesboro not so much -- so I kinda understand courtship of NASCAR and Nashville --

I guess we're gonna find out which one's the bitch...

Comedy gold, don't move next to a racetrack then:

This pisses me off to no end. People move next to a race track or a concert arena or whatever type of complex. Then the twats complain about the "noise" that will somehow ruin their existence once or twice a week, the city sides with the twats, and away goes the noisy nuisance complex. So damn stupid.

Well there's that other track outside Nashville that no one races anymore....... I've never seen a race at FGS so I was hoping for that to happen but I think this thing is going to be dead in the water real soon.

Well there's that other track outside Nashville that no one races anymore....... I've never seen a race at FGS so I was hoping for that to happen but I think this thing is going to be dead in the water real soon.

Track outside of Nashville... That boring 1.5 mile oval that is pretty much a clone of most of the tracks on the current Cup schedule...?
ARCA is racing during the first weekend of next month at the fairgrounds track... that is always a good one there.

I care so little about soccer that I don't even know how the MLS and its franchises are faring. The rapid expansion implies that they are growing and doing well, but as others have noted, expanding too rapidly can backfire. We have a team in Portland, and it's kind of a big deal and well supported, since there's only one other major sport in town. I know the soccer audience is young and often prosperous, so I understand why growing cities such as Nashville find it appealing.

Another struggle a major race track faces when asking a city for public assistance is the small number of dates it provides. Stadiums with dozens of home team dates and especially arenas that can fill 200+ days a year with games, concerts, etc. are easier sells.

I care so little about soccer that I don't even know how the MLS and its franchises are faring. The rapid expansion implies that they are growing and doing well, but as others have noted, expanding too rapidly can backfire. We have a team in Portland, and it's kind of a big deal and well supported, since there's only one other major sport in town. I know the soccer audience is young and often prosperous, so I understand why growing cities such as Nashville find it appealing.

Another struggle a major race track faces when asking a city for public assistance is the small number of dates it provides. Stadiums with dozens of home team dates and especially arenas that can fill 200+ days a year with games, concerts, etc. are easier sells.

Nashville has a home tracks program though.

A lot of these tracks need to do more than just racing though. Rockingham's going to be a concert venue as well and one of the biggest music festivals in the world is being held there next month. Bristol hosted the largest college football game in history. Daytona International Speedway has said they want to host a Jacksonville Jaguars game.

Track outside of Nashville... That boring 1.5 mile oval that is pretty much a clone of most of the tracks on the current Cup schedule...?
ARCA is racing during the first weekend of next month at the fairgrounds track... that is always a good one there.
actually I thought it was 1.33 miles, I always thought the racing there was good for Xfinity and Trucks. I was never bored. To be clear I am not advocating for its return over FGS at all, its just what is NASCAR going to do if this deal never gets off the ground is all I am saying.

from the article:

The All American 400 Super Late Model race was set to run last fall before it was postponed by rain and rescheduled for this weekend
So because of rain it was called off again and rescheduled once again for his November 3. I didn't see anything in the article that said they were going to have two races. Do you? If so, if you think it is important post it up.

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2019/0...etback-with-cancellation-of-all-american-400/

Okay, let's look at key parts of this. Top says.

Fairgrounds Speedway Nashville, a possible site for future NASCAR national series races, announced Wednesday that it has canceled Sunday’s 34th All American 400 Super Late Model race because of impending rain.

later on for what's going on later this year.

We are now going to focus on our regular season opener next Saturday and get prepared for the 35th All American 400 this year.

The All American 400 is scheduled for Nov. 3, 2019.

So, the one in Nov was already planned. The 34th one just isn't happening....tho it's odd to skip 34 and go to 35. But yeah.

actually I thought it was 1.33 miles, I always thought the racing there was good for Xfinity and Trucks. I was never bored. To be clear I am not advocating for its return over FGS at all, its just what is NASCAR going to do if this deal never gets off the ground is all I am saying.

Maybe it is around 1.33 miles, i didn't look it up. I've been there for a couple of races, it was boring IMO... Certainly no better than any of the other (Approx) 1.5 mile tracks... going to a track that doesn't have much history, isn't very unique, and didn't do that great when it had NASCAR races during a time that NASCAR was doing better... seems like it wouldn't be all that beneficial... Just my opinion... I hate to see any track permanently close, but that one didn't hurt too much...

Okay, let's look at key parts of this. Top says.

Fairgrounds Speedway Nashville, a possible site for future NASCAR national series races, announced Wednesday that it has canceled Sunday’s 34th All American 400 Super Late Model race because of impending rain.

later on for what's going on later this year.

We are now going to focus on our regular season opener next Saturday and get prepared for the 35th All American 400 this year.

The All American 400 is scheduled for Nov. 3, 2019.

So, the one in Nov was already planned. The 34th one just isn't happening....tho it's odd to skip 34 and go to 35. But yeah.

If the 34th was cancelled, this year's race would be the 34th.

So what are the odds of a smaller, more basic, less costly renovation that could bring NXS & Trucks? Wouldn't have to expand the seating to anything more than 20-25k than the current 15k.

Bring back the 320 lap Xfinity race and bring in a 250 lap Truck race for a standalone Easter weekend.

So what are the odds of a smaller, more basic, less costly renovation that could bring NXS & Trucks? Wouldn't have to expand the seating to anything more than 20-25k than the current 15k.

Bring back the 320 lap Xfinity race and bring in a 250 lap Truck race for a standalone Easter weekend.

I disagree. Take Bristol’s spring race and put it here

Yeah, this ain't happening.
Yea I’m pretty skeptical as well, more so after reading the article in that MLS is the city’s first priority. Especially since the MLS stadium is privately financed. Will be interesting to see where NASCAR will go to for new short tracks in 2021 if /when this Nashville Deal falls through

Yea I’m pretty skeptical as well, more so after reading the article in that MLS is the city’s first priority. Especially since the MLS stadium is privately financed. Will be interesting to see where NASCAR will go to for new short tracks in 2021 if /when this Nashville Deal falls through

Does it need to? Short tracks are cool and all but not well attended or watched. If anything add a road course or two to the mix

Does it need to? Short tracks are cool and all but not well attended or watched. If anything add a road course or two to the mix
Martinsville and Richmond are pretty well attended. I don’t know what happened to Bristol this year but I’ll reserve judgement until the August race. I’d say one more short track with 2 races on the calendar and then another 2 road courses would be good for me. That’s 4 new races on the schedule, that’s a good starting point IMO

Martinsville and Richmond are pretty well attended. I don’t know what happened to Bristol this year but I’ll reserve judgement until the August race. I’d say one more short track with 2 races on the calendar and then another 2 road courses would be good for me. That’s 4 new races on the schedule, that’s a good starting point IMO
The problem with the 3 short tracks is that you can visit all 3 of them within 4 hours, and they're within 4 weeks of each other on the schedule. The fall races are spread apart more and always better attended.

The problem with the 3 short tracks is that you can visit all 3 of them within 4 hours, and they're within 4 weeks of each other on the schedule. The fall races are spread apart more and always better attended.
Need to find a good west coast short track to put them further apart, run it around Sonoma.

much better than Yihyun Jeong, who was doing her best hatchet job. Pretty obvious her bias was showing thru.

I'm not saying Nashville is a failure for MLS. But I think 30 teams is stretching it.

Matt Taliaferro

@MattTaliaferro
Follow Follow @MattTaliaferro
More
A thread if you will. All this from my view in the cheap seats:
As a 20-year Nashville resident & lifelong “NASCAR guy” I can share some perspective on the Fairgrounds saga, from a local, atmospheric view. See Nash isn’t the same city it was just 10 yrs ago and world’s away different than in 2000 when Busch/Trucks last ran at the Fairgrounds. The massive flood of people that have relocated here aren’t what I’d call die-hard race fans.
An MLS team/stadium is most likely higher priority for most (fair enough; it will no doubt bring in more money than a few-days-of-NASCAR-per-year will). Mixed-used facilities are all the rage bc the gettins’ good right now. There’s fortunes to be made in development in this city. And therein lies a major obstacle for the race fans: From the city’s POV, renovation of the fairgrounds property hinges on said mixed-used spaces and of course the MLS stadium. All attractive in luring potential residents in an effort to revitalize that area of town. Of course, that’s all well & good for progress sake, but my feeling is improving the track and bringing back big-time racing isn’t viewed as a part of that progress,in fact, it could be a drag on it. If the ROI is there, then hey great! Bring ‘em back! If not, well investing on plans of this size don’t go forward based on sentimentality alone. (A sentimentality, I must add, that is foreign to many.)
There is still a passionate subset of racing fans here, but it’s a small yet vocal crowd, made up largely of Nash lifers who grew up with racing at the Fairgrounds. I must stress that I don’t think city leaders are trying to hijack a return of NASCAR in any way,but a return must coincide with and enhance the city’s plans/vision for the space & area. And the fact the city and those efforting a return do not speak the same language finds both parties stumbling about pretty awkwardly at the moment.Plus SMI/FGS track operator don’t seem to be doing themselves any favors, either. It’s as if they’re operating in a vacuum of late, this after what seemed to be an encouraging start to the talks. This seems to have left commissioners rather flummoxed.Anyway, I’d love to see a return of NASCAR in some form to the Fairgrounds and was optimistic until very recently. I just hope plans aren’t too far along to make a return too far gone. -FIN-

Back
Top Bottom