New "what are you listening to thread"

So, I was listening to Eluveitie the other day and found out that Anna Murphy, Merlin Sutter, and Ivo Henzi apparently left the band last year and have started a new project, Cellar Darling. Their first album just dropped today.

I dig the instrumentation here, and of course I love Anna and her vocals. I'm still not sure how I feel about these songs overall (the first one definitely needs more lyrics in the chorus, lol), but I'm interested enough to buy the album. Time to go listen to it.

This sums up New Zealand. It's actually an like an ad on TV to drum up support for our rugby team the All Blacks because we have a team from the UK visiting us on tour call the British and Irish Lions. The All Blacks don't need any ads for support because the whole country is 100% behind them..... same with our America's Cup team.

It's pretty Hokey I know but when I watch this it really sums up our people.

Just found out that my girl has a new album coming out in September. I immediately preordered it. :)

The first song has a mixture of harsh and clean vocals. The second is more of a traditional folk song with strictly clean vocals.

I've probably posted these before, but I was listening to this album again today. I forgot how good Fireflight is.

As I admitted in another thread, I listen mostly to a lot of old 45s that I find. A few that I thought were quite good from recent buys:

Jambalaya (On The Bayou) by The Blue Ridge Rangers (1972). Lots of bands have cut this, but this version may be the most traditional.
Someone Like You by Eric Clapton (1975). It didn't chart, but really represents Clapton's relatively mellow mid 1970s to early 1980s period.
Warm Your Heart by The Drifters (1954). Mostly known by the beach music crowd, it's pretty good for a close slow dance.
Gone, Gone, Gone by The Everly Brothers (1964). Up tempo and not the usual ballad stuff you often remember the Everlys for.
Don't Make Me Pay For His Mistakes by Z.Z. Hill (1971). Powerful blues from a late-era blues master.
Oooh! My Soul by Little Richard (1958). Helped set his signature sound.
I Will Always Love You by Dolly Parton (1982). Whitney Houston had a bigger hit with this, but Dolly wrote and released the original.
Hip-Billy Boogie by Les Paul (1948). Up tempo and proves the kids these days falsely discount a master.
East Bound And Down by Jerry Reed (1977). Fun song that brings back memories of Smokey And The Bandit.
Boogie In The Dark by Jimmy Reed (1954). An up tempo boogie woogie like you don't hear anymore - from a super blues artist.

If you're into good original folk songs by artists just breaking out of their regional fan base, consider a duo named "Neptune's Car". They're from New England, but I stumbled upon them in Bethabara NC when my wife and I decided to see who was playing in the music hall out there. The poorly advertised concert drew only a few customers, but they gave us their professional best anyway. Metal and Alt heads may not go for their sound, but I found it nice not to be pounded on.

Arch Enemy's releasing a new album on September 8. This is now the third new album I'm looking forward to over the next couple of months. :)

I also posted this in the Podium music thread, but these guys are easily one of my favorite black metal bands. If this song is any indication, their upcoming album should be an Album of the Year contender for me.

Short version:

Full version:

Can't believe this was from so long ago...1985. Actually liking listening to it again. So real stars there.

I haven't listened to Enslaved for a while. This song is a little proggier than my usual fare, but it's pretty solid nonetheless. I might have to pre-order this album.

I listened to the Carpenters version of this Hank Williams country hit. It has a more pop sound but why don't we get music like this anymore?

I like about half of their new CD, but this is definitely my favorite off of it. It might even rate in the top five of any of their songs.

Stumbled upon these kids last night while browsing for music on Amazon. They're not bad!

Apparently Daughter is doing the soundtrack for Life is Strange: Before the Storm. This is the song that comes with the dynamic PS4 theme you get for preordering it (which I did last night). It's melancholy and mellow, just like all the rest of their songs. I love it.

More good stuff from my girl. I can't wait for this album to come out. :)

The first song contains both harsh and clean vocals. The second is all clean singing.

I have free XM right now I've been listening to classic radio plays from the 40s and 50s, as someone with a vivid imagination I find them really cool.

that song isn't talking about giving head and niga nuts and hoes..Hmm I don't know, it hasn't lost enough brain cells

I have plenty of that as well, but I've been on a country splurge for a minute.

I'm trying to get back into listening to more Jazz, Country, and more "classic" rock. I still love my rap music, but you've got to change it up sometimes.

Also, not all rap is bad. This new generation of mumble rappers give it a bad rep, but its how they give their message.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom