New "what are you listening to thread"

Really liking the latest from Disturbed, good stuff, especially the Duet of Sound of Silence with Myles Kennedy.

I admit I am a bit of a sucker for a good hook. I tripped up on this video on a youtube commercial.
Something about the chorus has a 70's 80's sound like Bryan Adams meets Meatloaf. Anyhow - this
is a new band from Europe.

Went down to our Makerspace and ended up talking to a guy who builds his own speakers. He showed me an interesting Dual Voice Coil (DVC) design that he was building... claimed high efficiency but I wasn't sure how well that would scale to his expectations - he was planning on getting full range with a DVC speaker that only measured about 6" by 9" in a ported box that was only about 10" by 14" by 9". He was going to demonstrate them, so I promised him to bring a couple of my favorite "test" records.

First I had him play "Peg" by Steely Dan (on a copy of their "Aja" album that I have in very good condition). That song usually makes anything that is better than cheap PC speakers sound good - and his DVC speakers did pretty well. But the bass did sound weak to me... the speaker builder is just twenty-something so he didn't know since he'd never heard the song before - made me feel old ("Peg" was a Top 10 hit in 1977).

Then I put on my copy of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" by Iron Butterfly (on a copy of their "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" album, also in very good condition). Yeah, his speakers fell down on the bass, but the lyrics came out remarkably close to being understandable (the singer was trying to say "In the garden of Eden").

Good fun to bring out the old vinyl and educate the youngsters sometimes!

Listening to some local culture down here...I liked this one...and the Haka at the end,

And these were just wedding guests .Lol

I can understand why you guys find this weird....but it warms my heart to watch and makes me proud of my culture.

Cheers. :cheers:

Growing up I loved listening to Kansas.
The Vocals one two punch of Robby Steinhardt and Steve Walsh and writing and creativity of Kerry Livgren was an incredible thing.

"Brother Louie" from the Stories they were a one hit wonder. It was 1973 on the midnight special.

They were a great band before they became popular.

Live warts n all, Tripple spin, Richie Furay, Buffalo Springfield, and with Poco, Jim Messina of Logins and Messina and Buffalo Springfield and Rusty Young in Steel players hall of fame. The second song has some killer steel in it if a person is into that sort of thing. Guitar isn't bad either.

Back
Top Bottom