NFL 2021-22

I never understood why the NFL doesn't just add a "5th quarter" for overtime. Hell even if it's just 10 or 12 minutes instead of 15. Forget sudden death, forget rules about possessions and all this stuff. K.I.S.S.

I never understood why the NFL doesn't just add a "5th quarter" for overtime. Hell even if it's just 10 or 12 minutes instead of 15. Forget sudden death, forget rules about possessions and all this stuff. K.I.S.S.
See, I kinda get the reason not to. Football is a physical and demanding sport. It risk way more injuries to add THAT much more time to the game. Like if it was possible to do without that risk, then sure. But I’m not sure it’s worth the trade off. Surely at playoff time where they have already played a pretty good season, and could maybe be a game or two deep into the playoffs.

The issue with that is...what if it is tied after the 5th quarter? Playoff games can't end in a tie

Sorry, I meant the regular season. I should have clarified.

I don't care what they do, just stop dicking with it. The NFL is so reactionary to this kind of stuff. Maybe Bills fans should complain about their defense letting KC into the endzone instead of complaining about the overtime rules.

Lmao yep, pretty much.

I don’t have to worry however, because Falcons won’t be making the playoffs for awhile

Just watch, after I say it was a good idea it'll bite the Raiders next season...

Hopefully the Falcons surprise you. I'll wish anyones team the best for getting into the playoffs as long as they aren't in the AFC West. 😁

I don't care what they do, just stop dicking with it. The NFL is so reactionary to this kind of stuff. Maybe Bills fans should complain about their defense letting KC into the endzone instead of complaining about the overtime rules.
Only a matter of time before regular season overtime gets replaced with a kicking shootout.

See I personally think regular season games should just end in a tie if tied after regulation. And then add a 5th quarter in the playoffs.

As far as overtime rules/structure is concerned, I really don't have a strong opinion one way or the other on what format is best. It just feels like amateur hour with them changing it every few years, and it's silly to see their knee jerk reactions to "controversial" events. Just like making PI reviewable (for a year) because of the ridiculous non-call by the blind ref in the Saints/Rams game. They never seem to have a logical solution to any problems, and constantly changing rules until they "get it right" makes them seem like they don't have any foresight whatsoever.

It reminds me of NASCAR and the constant points/playoffs restructuring. The NFL is a billion dollar industry. Who is calling the shots? Let smarter people make these decisions so maybe they will start getting it right the first time without constant revisions. Personally I think Roger Goodell is a clown and the NFL is so successful in spite of him, certainly not because of him. As much as I love the NFL, there's a ton of stuff they royally **** up and IMO it's inexcusable.

win coin flip, score td, opponent scores td, score td game over, you won because of coin flip! not fair you got ball first!

Defense should have got a stop then. Or they should have won in regulation.

Also, life ain't fair. :biggrin:

Gotta disagree on this one. The updated rules are an objectively better method to decide a playoffs game, and that is ultimately what matters to me. I would rather have that Chiefs / Bills game (and any similar matchup) decided this way, even though my team prevailed last time.

The NFL has been a constantly evolving league, and has spent the last two decades courting more offense (with rules that directly inhibit defense). That renders the old wisdom of "All they had to do was stop them from scoring" obsolete, IMO.

Of course, if the Chiefs score a TD on the opening possession, then the Bills tie it up, they're right back in the same scenario in which the coin toss has provided a clear advantage. However, this dilutes that advantage further, and opens up more interesting strategies. Do the Bills go for two in that situation? And so on.

Defense should have got a stop then. Or they should have won in regulation.

My bad, I should use the :sarcasm: indicator more. You must have missed my lecture spiel post-Bills/Chiefs lol where I echo your sentiments.

At some point your defense has to step up, if you can't make a stop, all this does is prolong the game in defensive ineptitude to same result (which I'm sure the league doesn't mind prolonging the broadcast). It can be an advantage if you lose the toss and have a strong defense field position wise, the point being it is hardly the deciding factor in winning a football game.

We got the ultimate example of that when Bengals/Chiefs went to OT, Chiefs won the toss, Bengals came up with the interception Bengals went to Superbowl, Defense won the game. That's the difference between them and the Bills, the Bills had their opportunities they couldn't stop the Chiefs with 13 seconds in regulation, they couldn't keep them out of the endzone in subsequent OT, they didn't deserve to pull of the win, it's that simple in my mind, and now we're going to give them a 2nd/3rd/4th chance at putting the game away? Why?

NFL games aren't good enough as it is? Why can't we just like it as it is? Geeeeeesh. Last year was one of the best NFL seasons I've ever seen.

The entire thing is a reactionary change/recency bias on something that hasn't been a problem until the social media age demanded it so.

Luckily it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of how NFL games will play out, and I'll find it funny to complain about all the holes we can punch in this one too and the next thing that comes along. I have a MUCH bigger bone to pick over the expansion to 17 game regular season, than anything else. But it just HAS to be something each and every year, I swear they do this just to create talking points. Drives me nuts/

The entire thing is a reactionary change/recency bias on something that hasn't been a problem until the social media age demanded it so.

The NFL has been rapidly tinkering with rules in all parts of the game since the '90s. There have been persistent complaints about overtime rules since at least the turn of the century. Several different changes have been proposed and voted on since the first major overhaul in 2010.

It's never been a static situation. This is an improvement. I can't fathom watching an overtime playoffs game in a coming season that makes use of the new rule and pining for the game to have already ended.

Check the playoffs numbers here:

No it’s not, it’s a nightmare not worth living. It’s bizarre I had an awful day to come see that type of quotes in an NFL thread (not trying to pick at you I just don’t comprehend)

Last edited:
The NFL has been rapidly tinkering with rules in all parts of the game since the '90s. There have been persistent complaints about overtime rules since at least the turn of the century. Several different changes have been proposed and voted on since the first major overhaul in 2010.

It's never been a static situation. This is an improvement. I can't fathom watching an overtime playoffs game in a coming season that makes use of the new rule and pining for the game to have already ended.

Yes they love to tinker and I wish they would take a break on that, for this particular rule change, I just don't think the needle gets moved enough without the fan commotion that stemmed from this 1 playoff game for anything to happen, the league monitors that heavily and reacts, if they want it they use it, teams can propose all they want... without the chatter nothing gets done. it's 7/12 58% in an extremely small sample size, from the stat I've seen. Advantages are always going to be there.

I think it will end up being entirely subjective as to being an improvement over what was current sudden death rules, removing that feel to the game is different knowing you now get a guaranteed possession, I don't like it but I don't think it's bad from the outside looking in it's not going to wreck my viewing experience having it in place, we'll still get a lot of the same results and I'd almost be tempted to defer the ball and freeroll on defense knowing you have a security blanket possession where you can work all 4 downs and go for 2 if you feel up to it.

I'm just not onboard with letting team's back into games when it's not needed (in my opinion) placing more premium on offense extending the game outward when the game has been lost within time frame under current rules and opportunities. I liked it how it was.

No it’s not, it’s a nightmare not worth living. It’s bizarre I had an awful day to come see that type of quotes in an NFL thread (not trying to pick at you I just don’t comprehend)

are you okay Auz?

Gotta disagree on this one. The updated rules are an objectively better method to decide a playoffs game, and that is ultimately what matters to me. I would rather have that Chiefs / Bills game (and any similar matchup) decided this way, even though my team prevailed last time.

The NFL has been a constantly evolving league, and has spent the last two decades courting more offense (with rules that directly inhibit defense). That renders the old wisdom of "All they had to do was stop them from scoring" obsolete, IMO.

Of course, if the Chiefs score a TD on the opening possession, then the Bills tie it up, they're right back in the same scenario in which the coin toss has provided a clear advantage. However, this dilutes that advantage further, and opens up more interesting strategies. Do the Bills go for two in that situation? And so on.
If the Bills score on their possession and can’t keep the Chiefs out of the end zone, they could just go for 2.

I think they should just do away with the OT coin toss. The team that had the most yards of offense in regulation gets the ball first in OT.

Back
Top Bottom