Out of the way! NASCAR contenders want traffic to pull aside

Zerkfitting

Team Owner
I came across a story about playoff drivers annoyed with non playoff drivers:

https://apnews.com/article/sports-a...denny-hamlin-a2f477e0fbbb845fb9b0fb6f51edea09

I thought Briscoe had a pretty good answer:
“I get paid to race, just because you guys are racing in the playoffs doesn’t mean I’m just gonna wave you by,” Briscoe wrote back to Hamlin. “One of the best cars we’ve had all year and I was trying to take advantage of it. I understand you guys are racing for a championship which is awesome for you guys but I’m racing for a job and results let me keep that job.”

the first sentence of this article, "Daniel Suarez refused to get out of Martin Truex Jr.’s way and it ultimately ruined Truex’s race."

Good, Suarez was racing for position. And no, Truex drove down on top of Suarez, Suarez just held his line and didn't back out of it, Truex ruined Truex's race.

What's good for the playoff races should also be good for the regular season. A few years back I watched the "gentleman" race at New Hampshire. It was ridiculous.

The sense of entitlement in Hamlin's comments is sickening. Clearly running over 10,000 races leaves you with an overinflated ego.
One would think having to eat his past comments about up and comers who ultimately get the job done before he ever did would teach him to reign in his douchy comments? But no, Denny can’t help himself to condescend…..obviously why very few like him.

I have never really been a Denny fan. But Michael Jordan seems to have respect for him so that probably trumps any views any of us have of him. So if I was him I wouldn't change a thing. :D

I have never really been a Denny fan. But Michael Jordan seems to have respect for him so that probably trumps any views any of us have of him. So if I was him I wouldn't change a thing. :D
If we are being honest, MJ doesn’t have the best reputation for being a nice guy. He’s adored by fans for his talents on the court but anyone that takes a second to look under the PR surface knows the stories of MJ being a straight up douche to people during his career. I’m not sure if being tight with MJ looks good on someone’s character or not. Maybe now that he’s older, he matured beyond his younger nonsense.

If we are being honest, MJ doesn’t have the best reputation for being a nice guy. He’s adored by fans for his talents on the court but anyone that takes a second to look under the PR surface knows the stories of MJ being a straight up douche to people during his career. I’m not sure if being tight with MJ looks good on someone’s character or not. Maybe now that he’s older, he matured beyond his younger nonsense.
Most people do.

imo, Denny isn't the bad guy, it's the playoff format.

This part of the article pretty much sums up everything that's been wrong with the NASCAR Cup Series since 2004.

"NASCAR, unlike any stick-and-ball sports, permits everyone to race in the postseason even if they aren’t in title contention. It puts a mix of slow cars and mediocre drivers on the same track as the superstars racing for the final trophy."

When I try to explain the format to people that don't follow NASCAR they just shake their head and walk away.

They deserve each other. MJ and his cohort Pippen were straight up bullies because they could be to teammates, general managers, and potential teammates. Lost a lot of respect for MJ after watching half of that espn special on him. Yeah, he and Denny share a lot of POS characteristics.

imo, Denny isn't the bad guy, it's the playoff format.

This part of the article pretty much sums up everything that's been wrong with the NASCAR Cup Series since 2004.

"NASCAR, unlike any stick-and-ball sports, permits everyone to race in the postseason even if they aren’t in title contention. It puts a mix of slow cars and mediocre drivers on the same track as the superstars racing for the final trophy."

When I try to explain the format to people that don't follow NASCAR they just shake their head and walk away.
Any points system in auto racing does that. Once again this ain't stick and ball this is auto racing :idunno:

Sorry you wasted your time with rude ass, ignorant people like that. If they are friends of yours, I’d find new friends. Racing isn’t like other sports And it’s not hard to comprehend why unless one chooses to be intentionally ignorant.

Sorry you wasted your time with rude ass, ignorant people like that. If they are friends of yours, I’d find new friends. Racing isn’t like other sports And it’s not hard to comprehend why unless one chooses to be intentionally ignorant.
I'll add, if they don't know who Earnhardt, Johnson, Larson, or Gordon is, YOU walk away shaking your head :laugh:

Reactions: sdj
As long as they race within their skill levels around the playoff drivers, I don’t see an issue…

We saw the 8 car drive over his talent level at the Roval and it definitely didn’t help Byron who was in a good position to do what he needed to do. Larson likely wins that race either way… BUT the 24 was good as well, and didn’t need a non playoff car to end his chances before the checkered flag does

You're right, racing is NOT like any other sports, which is why playoffs have no place in auto racing.

As long as they race within their skill levels around the playoff drivers, I don’t see an issue…

We saw the 8 car drive over his talent level at the Roval and it definitely didn’t help Byron who was in a good position to do what he needed to do. Larson likely wins that race either way… BUT the 24 was good as well, and didn’t need a non playoff car to end his chances before the checkered flag does
I’ve always taken the same aspect as any other sport. One race, play, penalty, or incident doesn’t define, make, or ruin a season. If a team doesn’t want to be in such a fragile position where 1 single thing not going there way will end everything, they should have performed better earlier.

Following racing can get frustrating at times. I have been on Byron's ass all season long. He has been there long enough, driving some of the best equipment in the sport, with one of the better crew chiefs in the sport and there he is in a lower tier of the playoffs fighting for his ass with his only chance to advance is to win the race.

I’ve always taken the same aspect as any other sport. One race, play, penalty, or incident doesn’t define, make, or ruin a season. If a team doesn’t want to be in such a fragile position where 1 single thing not going there way will end everything, they should have performed better earlier.

Thats a very fair argument as well.

It's not nostalgia when every other series uses a straight 'total points' method. Watching them makes difficult to forget.
I had to take a double shot at this. NACAR is NASCAR, It has always been that way, they are first in terms of safety, race on almost every kind of track except the Xgames, somebody show me a more diversified racing series. There is auto racing and then there is NASCAR.

Carl Edwards didn't lose titles at Homestead; he lost them over 36 races, or at least over ten.

Following racing can get frustrating at times. I have been on Byron's ass all season long. He has been there long enough, driving some of the best equipment in the sport, with one of the better crew chiefs in the sport and there he is in a lower tier of the playoffs fighting for his ass with his only chance to advance is to win the race.

Yeah, MANY drivers in NASCAR would love to have him as a crew chief I would imagine. He’s a guy it seems would get signed fast if he was in that type of position again

Byron looked like he was gonna open up another can or two earlier this year. They started out soo darn strong. Not sure what really happened there

or at least over ten.
And I think it’s fair to criticize the system by saying “Stewart doesnt beat Edwards without the points reset that NASCAR invented”. Same can be said about many other chase/playoff-era championships. It is incredibly unfair IMO. But the teams know the situations and have the same opportunities to perform over 10 races. They all race under the same rules, and the rules are stupid.

Personally this year using regular points, Larson and Hamlin already have it sowed up to be a title race between the two. So if I was a Blaney or an Elliott, or Busch fan for example, I have no hopes of them winning a cup title. So yeah IMO sometimes this playoff system has it's good points

Back
Top Bottom