Patent Office Throws Yellow Flag On Redskins Trademark

It looks like this name change is going to happen. Native Americans have been protesting it for years, but the movement seems to have gained a lot of momentum as of late.

So I wonder if the Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves, and Kansas City Chiefs logos/names are in danger too?

I'm getting real tired of the faux white outrage:

I guess this is where I'm supposed to fall in line and do what every other American sports writer is doing. I'm supposed to swear I won't ever write the words "Washington Redskins" anymore because it's racist and offensive and a slap in the face to all Native Americans who ever lived. Maybe it is.

I just don't quite know how to tell my father-in-law, a Blackfeet Indian. He owns a steak restaurant on the reservation near Browning, Mont. He has a hard time seeing the slap-in-the-face part.

"The whole issue is so silly to me," says Bob Burns, my wife's father and a bundle holder in the Blackfeet tribe. "The name just doesn't bother me much. It's an issue that shouldn't be an issue, not with all the problems we've got in this country."

And I definitely don't know how I'll tell the athletes at Wellpinit (Wash.) High School -- where the student body is 91.2 percent Native American -- that the "Redskins" name they wear proudly across their chests is insulting them. Because they have no idea.

"I've talked to our students, our parents and our community about this and nobody finds any offense at all in it," says Tim Ames, the superintendent of Wellpinit schools. "'Redskins' is not an insult to our kids. 'Wagon burners' is an insult. 'Prairie n-----s' is an insult. Those are very upsetting to our kids. But 'Redskins' is an honorable name we wear with pride. … In fact, I'd like to see somebody come up here and try to change it."

Boy, you try to help some people …

And it's not going to be easy telling the Kingston (Okla.) High School (57.7 percent Native American) Redskins that the name they've worn on their uniforms for 104 years has been a joke on them this whole time. Because they wear it with honor.

"We have two great tribes here," says Kingston assistant school superintendent Ron Whipkey, "the Chicasaw and the Choctaw. And not one member of those tribes has ever come to me or our school with a complaint. It is a prideful thing to them."

"It's a name that honors the people," says Kingston English teacher Brett Hayes, who is Choctaw. "The word 'Oklahoma' itself is Choctaw for 'red people.' The students here don't want it changed. To them, it seems like it's just people who have no connection with the Native American culture, people out there trying to draw attention to themselves.

"My kids are really afraid we're going to lose the Redskin name. They say to me, 'They're not going to take it from us, are they, Dad?'"

Too late. White America has spoken. You aren't offended, so we'll be offended for you.

Same story with the Red Mesa (Ariz.) High School Redskins. They wear the name with fierce pride. They absolutely don't see it as an insult. But what do they know? The student body is only 99.3 percent Native American.

And even though an Annenberg Public Policy Center poll found that 90 percent of Native Americans were not offended by the Redskins name, and even though linguists say the "redskins" word was first used by Native Americans themselves, and even though nobody on the Blackfeet side of my wife's family has ever had someone insult them with the word "redskin," it doesn't matter. There's no stopping a wave of PC-ness when it gets rolling.

I mean, when media stars like USA Today's Christine Brennan, a white woman from Ohio, and Peter King, a white man from Massachusetts, have jumped on a people's cause, there's no going back.

Besides, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said last week that if "even one person is offended" on this issue, we need to "listen."

One person?

Got it. Guess we need to listen to people who are offended by the Kansas City Chiefs' name, too. That's one that offends my father-in-law. "You see some little guy wearing a headdress made of chicken feathers," he says, "painting his face up, making a mockery of us. I hate that. Those are things you earn."

One person? I know an atheist who is offended by religious names like the New Orleans Saints and Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. There are people who who don't think Ole Miss should be the Rebels. People who lost family to Hurricanes. There are people who think Wizards promotes paganism. Shall we listen to all of them?

I guess so.

Edmundo Macedo, vice president of ESPN's Stats & Information group, told ESPN ombudsman Robert Lipsyte that the term Redskins is abhorrent. "We would not accept anything similar as a team nickname if it were associated with any other ethnicity or any other race," Macedo said.

Oh, yes, we would.

In fact, ESPN and many other media companies cover the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, the Cleveland Indians and the Atlanta Braves without a single searing search of their social conscience.

Doesn't matter. The 81-year-old Washington Redskins name is falling, and everybody better get out of the way. For the majority of Native Americans who don't care, we'll care for them. For the Native Americans who haven't asked for help, we're glad to give it to them.

Trust us. We know what's best. We'll take this away for your own good, and put up barriers that protect you from ever being harmed again.

Kind of like a reservation.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9689220/redskins-name-change-not-easy-sounds

It looks like this name change is going to happen. Native Americans have been protesting it for years, but the movement seems to have gained a lot of momentum as of late.

So I wonder if the Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves, and Kansas City Chiefs logos/names are in danger too?
I guess it depends on where you live. Ive spoken to many native Americans and their kin where I used to live & work about this topic & they dont mind a single bit. Infact, they are fans of the redskins. They dont give a flying tomahawk phuck about our politics &political correctness. They just want to be left alone, really.

I have a fair amount of Native American blood from my paternal grandmother, but not enough to speak from that perspective. I find it offensive as a human being, though. I just look at it as, how would "brownskins" or "blackskins" be looked at? I'm mostly Irish on my mom's side and Scottish on my dad's side. I find the Fighting Irish name to be an honor, although the leprechaun is pretty offensive, mostly just in it's stupidity.

I have a fair amount of Native American blood from my paternal grandmother, but not enough to speak from that perspective. I find it offensive as a human being, though. I just look at it as, how would "brownskins" or "blackskins" be looked at? I'm mostly Irish on my mom's side and Scottish on my dad's side. I find the Fighting Irish name to be an honor, although the leprechaun is pretty offensive, mostly just in it's stupidity.
Understood mate. What if the govt told you "no, this is not offensive to you. The name is cemented in history so it will not be changed".

Its the same feeling redskins fans and the non-offended have about the govt telling them the name is offensive to a minority so the tail will wag the dog.

Understood mate. What if the govt told you "no, this is not offensive to you. The name is cemented in history so it will not be changed".

Its the same feeling redskins fans and the non-offended have about the govt telling them the name is offensive to a minority so the tail will wag the dog.
Oh, I get that completely. I'm against big government in all it's forms. I don't think the government should be stepping in on this at all. I do, however, think the NFL should tell this guy that what he is doing, by keeping the name as it is, is hurting the brand and the league and it's other 31 owners aren't happy about it. It's pretty much what I thought about the Donald Sterling/Clippers thing, too.

Oh, I get that completely. I'm against big government in all it's forms. I don't think the government should be stepping in on this at all. I do, however, think the NFL should tell this guy that what he is doing, by keeping the name as it is, is hurting the brand and the league and it's other 31 owners aren't happy about it. It's pretty much what I thought about the Donald Sterling/Clippers thing, too.
Where has all the hate for the name been since 1932? Seems to me it has only come to fruition since the liberals took over. Its not like they are named the "Washington Savage Maize Pickers"

Where has all the hate for the name been since 1932? Seems to me it has only come to fruition since the liberals took over.
I think our country has evolved a lot since 1932. Hell, we had seperate water fountains for blacks and whites as late as the 1960's. We've come a ways as a society since then.

And the Native American protesting of the Redskins name is not a new thing. When the Redskins made it to Super Bowl XXVI back in 1992, there were Native American protests there. But, like I said before, it seems to have some real momentum this time.

When we're all similar looking sheep and we all move in unison, it will be much easier to recognize and cast out the non-conformists.
Listen to your parents, follow fashion, walk on the side walk, listen to pop music, work in an office, pay taxes, get married & have children - now repeat after me: "I am free".

Listen to your parents, follow fashion, walk on the side walk, listen to pop music, work in an office, pay taxes, get married & have children - now repeat after me: "I am free".
I happen to agree with some of those...

I'd have been a lot better off listening to my parents on a lot of stuff, but certainly not everything
I didn't have the money to follow most fashion trends and I always thought most of them were pretty stupid any way.
Walking on the sidewalk is a pretty good idea for the most part.
Pop music is bad for you and our society (especially the crap that passes for music today).
Working in an office has it's advantages and drawbacks.
Paying taxes beats going to prison for not doing so.
Getting married and having children is completely up to you, as most of these things are, and certainly isn't right for everybody.

I'm not sure what your point is

I hate to see them change the name.
But I am thinking the bull**** is going to happen. Since they have have a lot of politicians as fans and their in D.C. I would recommend that they rename themselves as the "Washington Douchebags". As a lifelong Cowboy fan I would buy and wear the DB jersey.

Really they should try to find something more offensive. If they want to bitch, the Hell with them scorch the earth, and give them a real reason.

The bitches satisfaction that wants to impose on someones elses buisness, needs the counter, and I am serious.

Crap, I am going to quit watching. It has been going downhill since they started running the hundred yard field..and the players not going both ways. I have always wondered why they were called Washington instead of district of columbia redskins. I think they can get around it if they hire more minority indian football players though.

10361326_323118707843244_2893470079487252486_n.jpg

Things that will happen when (if) they change the name:

- A portion of the American population will not have to hear a word that they find derogatory when someone talks football .
- The NFL season will start on time
- The Superbowl will still be played
- The sun will rise and fall as it does today
- Most importantly, again, A portion of the American population will not have to hear a word that they find derogatory when someone talks football .

One thing I've lived by for years (and honestly feel the world would be a better place or more people felt the same way), is that just because I may not find something offensive, doesn't mean that others should just shut up not feel offended.

If they were the Cleveland N*ggerheads, they would be. Use some ******* sense.
Its sarcasm you phuckin internet grouch dickface. Why dont you go back to complaining about everything while beating off to NBC?

If the Redskins name is offensive to Native Americans & the name must be changed, why not allow the New York Giants to change their name as well? Just as the midgets are not midgets... they are "little people". The Giants are not Giants, that is offensive. People with excessive growth disorders should be called "big people". All hail, the New York Big People.

And I want to add that I really question those people that value the name of a sports team over the treatment of human beings.
Please elaborate how the name "Washington Redskins" has mistreated human beings for the past 82 years. The Jews are laughing in the face of this ridiculousness.

People will look for ANYTHING to be offended by.

Last edited:
Its sarcasm you phuckin internet grouch dickface. Why dont you go back to complaining about everything while beating off to NBC?

If the Redskins name is offensive to Native Americans & the name must be changed, why not allow the New York Giants to change their name as well? Just as the midgets are not midgets... they are "little people". The Giants are not Giants, that is offensive. People with excessive growth disorders should be called "big people". All hail, the New York Big People.

Please elaborate how the name "Washington Redskins" has mistreated human beings for the past 82 years. The Jews are laughing in the face of this ridiculousness.

Get out of my face, plonker.

As for the history of the Washington Redskins, I'd suggest looking it up because it's pretty dark actually.

Get out of my face, plonker.

As for the history of the Washington Redskins, I'd suggest looking it up because it's pretty dark actually.
All of the football championships earned by white & black players are offending the red people now? Ha!

If you want a dark history of mistreated people in the last 82 years, look to the jewish people. If playing football for a legendary team for money is "dark", count me in.

Fyi there are several Native American high schools that name their own football teams "the redskins". To alot of them, they do not deny the color of their skin & the name is about preserving history. They care more about land and eviroment preservations and keeping their race alive than a NFL team name. But ONE Indian Nation speaks out against it & the tail begins to wag the dog as liberals latch on.

Quality of football will not change and I'll certainly still watch but the infection political correctness & uber sensitivity is sickening.

Last edited:
All of the football championships earned by white & black players are offending the red people now? Ha!

If you want a dark history of mistreated people in the last 82 years, look to the jewish people. If playing football for a legendary team for money is "dark", count me in.

It's called you don't know what you're talking about.

joy reid ...msnbc ...said she couldn't say horrible "r " word -redskins- on tv today .....but be forewarned ...sen. harry reid says it in this clip.! twice ! horror comin !!!!!

what a buncha lib hogwash ! lib tail waggin dog ....like chex said.

i hope snyder takes patent office ta scotus level....which he will.
even better...hold poll at gate...1st game ....only actual fans attendin game getta vote !

This is so ****** stupid....

If
image.jpg
is offensive... Then
image.jpg
must just be terrible. An actual redskin.

Perhaps the white ****tards that are offended have never heard of the Cleveland Indians. Perhaps they are too busy looking for **** to cry about. Maybe it is gratifying to feel like they're a part of a totally redundant bitch session resulting in "change". We have real problems in this country. Ridiculous .

This is so ****** stupid....

If View attachment 13625is offensive... Then View attachment 13626must just be terrible. An actual redskin.

Perhaps the white ****tards that are offended have never heard of the Cleveland Indians. Perhaps they are too busy looking for **** to cry about. Maybe it is gratifying to feel like they're a part of a totally redundant bitch session resulting in "change". We have real problems in this country. Ridiculous .
Its sexy to be an armchair activist right now. It was sexy to save the polar bears, which had a growing population, in global warming. It was sexy to support the public masturbator who started the Kony 2012 campaign. It was sexy to watch a completely biased Netflix film titled "blackfish" & raise hell against SeaWorld. Now its sexy to have the redskins name stripped away. People will find anything & everything to be offended about until they're blue in the face, while they do nothing to reverse the issues except for maybe a few Facebook likes here n there. People read one thing in the news & believe it right away without doing any research on their own.

Back
Top Bottom