Police: Richard Childress fires shots at intruders who entered his home

"According to a Davidson County Sheriff's Office news release, sheriff's investigators learned from the Winston-Salem Police Department that three firearms used at Childress' home matched firearms that had been stolen on Dec. 15 in a break-in in Winston-Salem."

Looks like this wasn't their first rodeo.

that was fortunate for society that they picked Childress's house IMO. They don't need to be running loose.
I agree...... the sad part is.... they will more than likely get a slap on the wrist..... get released on the condition they stay out of trouble for the next 2 years...... then .... laugh all the way to their next heist.

The last place you would want to break into is the Childress residents.Guessing the only species on the planet Childress doesn't have a head hanging on a wall is a human.What a bunch of morons.:lol2:

Except he missed all of the intruders. Lot easier shooting animals that don't know they are being hunted.

Sounds like Niquan, Chantz and Armeka had AR's, old RC only used his handgun to scare them off, if that was his purpose. I keep my AR close by with a G17 in the nightstand, and if someone is breaking in the front door I am probably not going to miss.

Sounds like Niquan, Chantz and Armeka had AR's, old RC only used his handgun to scare them off, if that was his purpose. I keep my AR close by with a G17 in the nightstand, and if someone is breaking in the front door I am probably not going to miss.

Well, you'd have a sporting chance that's for sure. Before I get into the breaking and entering business I might need your address......

Being prepared is a good thing. Had RC not been packing some heat, what might have happened to him and his wife? I'm thinking the intruders weren't making a social call. My guess is there are quite a few members on this forum that keep some protection around. No sarcasm intended on my part. Just another perspective.

Bears are a formidable foe when they decide to go on the attack. Not many people have a steady hand when they see a bear charging them. Them with guns have been known to wound the animal and get mauled or killed because of it.
Bear spray can be effective at 8 ft and I know of no case where the bear actually won the fight.
Some of you who feel they are man enough to kill an intruder from ambush would be wise
to do some research on the matter instead of being puffed up with self pride.
It's all well and good to talk tough, its another matter to look someone in the eye and then Kill them.
Of course I suppose the act of shooting another in the back would be appealing.

I came home from a trip and caught two in my house in the act. Glad I had a gun in a secret place. I never had the thought of shooting them. Glad they didn't know that though.

I had an intruder in my home on a Sunday morning about four months ago. My wife walked the dogs and didn't lock the kitchen door when she came back in. The guy had slept in his car in our front yard the night before. We weren't aware of him being out there. When he came walking in uninvited, I determined him to be disoriented, or possibly under the influence of something. Honestly, he seemed harmless, just messed up. It was resolved with no shots being fired, but had it been warranted, I would have protected my family. That doesn't make a "vigilante", or a "tough guy". I, Like I'm sure most members of this forum am not just waiting on a chance to kill someone. And I'd hate to bring bear spray to a gun fight. Just sayin.....

One time when I was younger a guy walked into my apartment, sat down and asked what the score was in the Vikings - Bucs game. I told him Bucs were winning we watched the game for about 2 - 3 minutes I asked if he wanted a beer he looked around and freaked out realized he was in the wrong apartment and left. I could have killed him and been a hero but it was just funny.

One time when I was younger a guy walked into my apartment, sat down and asked what the score was in the Vikings - Bucs game. I told him Bucs were winning we watched the game for about 2 - 3 minutes I asked if he wanted a beer he looked around and freaked out realized he was in the wrong apartment and left. I could have killed him and been a hero but it was just funny.

good reaction. Sometimes people are criminals with intent to do harm. Sometimes people just do stupid things. I'd hate to kill someone because they were impaired and did something really stupid. That would be tough to live with.

I remember one time an intruder was in the house. I chased him and the dummy took off toward the bathroom, a dead end. I closed the door nowhere else to run or hide, only one of us was to going to leave the room alive.
It didn't take long to kill the fly.

I remember one time an intruder was in the house. I chased him and the dummy took off toward the bathroom, a dead end. I closed the door nowhere else to run or hide, only one of us was to going to leave the room alive.
It didn't take long to kill the fly.

You a bad man...A BAD MAN!!!!!

Had something similar happen in the 80s. This guy just walked into our house. He was older and looked confused. Turned out years ago he lived at our address and had some mental issues. While it is alarming that someone walks into your home, it doesn't mean you automatically blow their brains out. Now, I do wished I was at home when someone broke in on Christmas Eve about 15 years ago and stole all the electronics, gifts, money and other valuables in the house. That outcome would certainly have been different.

I've waited to bring this up but what if Richard Childress knew exactly what he was doing. He's a responsible, experienced and trained owner of all types of firearms. He could have been acting responsibly and thought "what if I kill a 12 and 2 13 year olds. I don't want to do that". We have no idea what went through his mind.

I've waited to bring this up but what if Richard Childress knew exactly what he was doing. He's a responsible, experienced and trained owner of all types of firearms. He could have been acting responsibly and thought "what if I kill a 12 and 2 13 year olds. I don't want to do that". We have no idea what went through his mind.
I don't know we have some RF posters that can read minds, and explain exactly why people do what they don't or do.
Even if Richard doesn't know hisself. You can rest assured somebody here knows exactly why. It is a shame that law enforcement hasn't obtained their services and expertise. I reckon they can't handle the truth.

Had something similar happen in the 80s. This guy just walked into our house. He was older and looked confused. Turned out years ago he lived at our address and had some mental issues. While it is alarming that someone walks into your home, it doesn't mean you automatically blow their brains out. Now, I do wished I was at home when someone broke in on Christmas Eve about 15 years ago and stole all the electronics, gifts, money and other valuables in the house. That outcome would certainly have been different.

There was an episode of "Family Ties" that handled this issue really well. Gun ownership is a huge responsibility and you have to be extra careful.

If I have to choose between some scumbag criminal and a family member, I know who is going to emerge healthy.

Reactions: Pat
If I have to choose between some scumbag criminal and a family member, I know who is going to emerge healthy.

Yep, when the thug has reached the point of entering a home with a firearm on him, it's probably a little to late for anger management classes.

55e8df57dac3d.jpeg
Everyone in this thread talking about their guns.

Childress or his wife or both could have been killed by those idiots. Glad we can joke about it, and I hope they don't lose any sleep over it.

55e8df57dac3d.jpeg
Everyone in this thread talking about their guns.
Well I pray to God I never have to use mine on another human but if comes down to it, I have that fighting chance to save my family.

Their mental issues and how they are a potential threat are not my responsibility. Wrong place, wrong time.

Protecting my family and myself are my responsibility. Protection does not have to mean the trigger is pulled.

Back
Top Bottom