Post 2022 Gen 7 Car Upgrades

I posted what Steve ODonnell said they were looking at and building a test mule for short tracks and probably road courses and they are going to be testing at Richmond with it. They are going to be looking at aero, tires, possibly brakes and eliminating shifting. They had to shave a lot of weight from the LeMans car and he mentioned the underbody tray removal/modification and other cheap aero improvements that I read would make the car even faster. These aren't going to be expensive changes like raising horsepower which is ridiculously expensive to do. It's all in the clip below, straight from the horses mouth.

So they are finally talking about doing what SHOULD have been done 2-3 years ago. Pardon me if I don't bow down and kiss their feet. There are literally TEAMS that have tested new cars or components more than than NASCAR has with this entire generation of car if you actually look at days on track. Have you read the book Beast? I'd be willing to bet Roger Penske ran more test days for an engine for ONE race than NASCAR did for this entire car. They were literally shoveling snow to get more laps in. I have NEVER seen that level of commitment to testing from NASCAR.

It's pretty simple to me anyway that after listening to the clip above when the COO O'Donnell says they are looking at aero, tires and the brakes for the problem child's and then he goes on to mention the underside of the car where most of the aero downforce is made (hint). O'Donnell also mentions the large amount of time the LeMans car has spent in the wind tunnel, weight reduction and some of the inexpensive aero refinements they have learned will slide over to the Nascar side.Last season there were rumors from knowledgeable sources that they were looking at getting rid of the diffuser for the short tracks if anyone remembers. They want to eliminate shifting if possible at the small tracks also. They have a full plate and they will test all of this at Richmond.

more info

NASCAR CEO Jim France, vice chairman Mike Helton and IMSA president John Doonan were among the invested observers during [the] two-day session at the Virginia International Raceway road course, where the latest edition of the Le Mans test stocker hit the track.

Steve O’Donnell, NASCAR Chief Operating Officer, indicated … on the “Stacking Pennies” podcast that wind-tunnel findings from the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 test car could be given a trial run in a Next Gen test at Richmond Raceway.

“I think there’s gonna be some good things,” O’Donnell said. “At least from what we’ve seen already in the wind tunnel and a lot of the sim data, it looks really good in terms of getting rid of some of the challenges as we’ve seen, particularly on the short tracks.”

Hendrick Motorsports’ Greg Ives, who joined the Garage 56 effort after the Cup Series season, said that the nature of the special Le Mans entry has given the team a bigger window to develop the car outside of the Cup Series rule-book structure. That spirit of innovation was most visibly evident this week with the test car’s advanced aerodynamic additions – dive planes on the front and rear fenders, a larger front splitter and a different rear diffuser.

It's pretty simple to me anyway that after listening to the clip above when the COO O'Donnell says they are looking at aero, tires and the brakes for the problem child's and then he goes on to mention the underside of the car where most of the aero downforce is made (hint). O'Donnell also mentions the large amount of time the LeMans car has spent in the wind tunnel, weight reduction and some of the inexpensive aero refinements they have learned will slide over to the Nascar side.Last season there were rumors from knowledgeable sources that they were looking at getting rid of the diffuser for the short tracks if anyone remembers. They want to eliminate shifting if possible at the small tracks also. They have a full plate and they will test all of this at Richmond.
Well, the "experts" here, have given a list of all the things you CAN'T touch because it would cost he teams too much money, and here is NASCAR talking about all these things the "experts" have already told us are off limits. My point is simply that the answers they are seeking now are the answers they SHOULD have been seeking two years ago and didn't, when it wouldn't have cost anybody but THEM some money. And before anybody throws out the 20/20 hindsight argument, I have been CRYSTAL CLEAR from the beginning that I didn't think NASCAR was doing as much as it should to ensure this car was as good as it could be. I have for YEARS advocated for NASCAR to have a dedicated test team staffed with veteran drivers and mechanics that could work on concepts and proposed rule changes, and even take over the Goodyear testing from the teams themselves.

more info

NASCAR CEO Jim France, vice chairman Mike Helton and IMSA president John Doonan were among the invested observers during [the] two-day session at the Virginia International Raceway road course, where the latest edition of the Le Mans test stocker hit the track.

Steve O’Donnell, NASCAR Chief Operating Officer, indicated … on the “Stacking Pennies” podcast that wind-tunnel findings from the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 test car could be given a trial run in a Next Gen test at Richmond Raceway.

“I think there’s gonna be some good things,” O’Donnell said. “At least from what we’ve seen already in the wind tunnel and a lot of the sim data, it looks really good in terms of getting rid of some of the challenges as we’ve seen, particularly on the short tracks.”

Hendrick Motorsports’ Greg Ives, who joined the Garage 56 effort after the Cup Series season, said that the nature of the special Le Mans entry has given the team a bigger window to develop the car outside of the Cup Series rule-book structure. That spirit of innovation was most visibly evident this week with the test car’s advanced aerodynamic additions – dive planes on the front and rear fenders, a larger front splitter and a different rear diffuser.

EXACTLY the kind of thing NASCAR SHOULD have been doing 2-3 years ago. Now, they're just locking the gate after most of the cows are standing in the middle of the road.

EXACTLY the kind of thing NASCAR SHOULD have been doing 2-3 years ago. Now, they're just locking the gate after most of the cows are standing in the middle of the road.

Better late than never, although I really wish NASCAR would be more proactive instead of reactive

So you think with covid and all they should have been crowded together feveriously working on problems they didn't know they had, while keeping the series alive with no or very limited crowds and able for their suppliers to despite covid regulations snap out the parts and body modifications on the car as the infrastructure of the world was pretty much shut down and slow to recover. Lol.

Development.

Indycar’s Dallara DW12 chassis debuted in 2012.

”“Our current attenuator has evolved slightly over time, so when I joined IndyCar, the original DW12 attenuator became the source of development after a few drivers complained of having headaches after backing the car into the wall on street courses,” IndyCar director of aerodynamic development and veteran chassis designer Tino Belli told RACER.”

Computer sims can only go so far in designing anything. After the problem with the new cars became known the wheels started turning. The rear of the car was modified, and changes to the helmet and neck restraints have been done. As in the past it's only the beginning of changes as more safety issues become known

So they are finally talking about doing what SHOULD have been done 2-3 years ago. Pardon me if I don't bow down and kiss their feet. There are literally TEAMS that have tested new cars or components more than than NASCAR has with this entire generation of car if you actually look at days on track. Have you read the book Beast? I'd be willing to bet Roger Penske ran more test days for an engine for ONE race than NASCAR did for this entire car. They were literally shoveling snow to get more laps in. I have NEVER seen that level of commitment to testing from NASCAR.

That's a good book but it's also an example of what teams will do if they have an unlimited budget and no rules in regards to testing. They were literally using the concord to ship parts from across the pond to the states several times a week. You can't go to that extent and be profitable.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

That's a good book but it's also an example of what teams will do if they have an unlimited budget and no rules in regards to testing. They were literally using the concord to ship parts from across the pond to the states several times a week. You can't go to that extent and be profitable.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Make no mistake, I'm not suggesting what Penske did was good for anyone but Penske, but I sure would like to see that level of effort from NASCAR.

So you think with covid and all they should have been crowded together feveriously working on problems they didn't know they had, while keeping the series alive with no or very limited crowds and able for their suppliers to despite covid regulations snap out the parts and body modifications on the car as the infrastructure of the world was pretty much shut down and slow to recover. Lol.

Well, my answer to that is if they couldn't do what needed to be done, the car should have been further delayed until they could. They COULD have been bringing cars to many of the race weekends during the 2021 season and running them on Friday or during down times on the track and recording TONS of data. One of my personal heroes is a guy named Jack Ridley. Ridley was Chuck Yeager's right hand man during the X-1 program. Ridley's specialty was imagining scenarios and coming up with solutions before they were even encountered. Yeager called him "My what if engineer". Yeager was able to break the sound barrier because Ridley anticipated and fixed problems faster than the airplane could try to kill Yeager. NASCAR sorely needed some Jack Ridley's that can think more than one step ahead.

You must not have been paying attention, because I have been criticizing NASCAR's approach to this car almost from the start. If you are going to move on from fifty years of time tested design, you damn well better be sure of what you are doing. I was always taught to measure twice and cut once. The whole garage 56 project should have come BEFORE the car's Cup debut, not after. I also think calling the single lug system less problematic is absolutely hilarious. If you have more wheels fall off in one season than the last ten combined, how is that less problematic, and just because the number of incidents decreased as the year went on, doesn't mean anything was solved. The crews just got better at managing the problem, all for something that was completely pointless in the first place. I just fail to see why so many are so willing to accept so much mediocrity from a billion dollar sport that has been around almost 75 years.

You must not have been paying attention, because I have been criticizing NASCAR's approach to this car almost from the start. If you are going to move on from fifty years of time tested design, you damn well better be sure of what you are doing. I was always taught to measure twice and cut once. The whole garage 56 project should have come BEFORE the car's Cup debut, not after. I also think calling the single lug system less problematic is absolutely hilarious. If you have more wheels fall off in one season than the last ten combined, how is that less problematic, and just because the number of incidents decreased as the year went on, doesn't mean anything was solved. The crews just got better at managing the problem, all for something that was completely pointless in the first place. I just fail to see why so many are so willing to accept so much mediocrity from a billion dollar sport that has been around almost 75 years.
OK Nostradamus,flash back, tell us what the problems were gonna be with a big spring truck arm car from the very beginning before they even ran them?

OK Nostradamus,flash back, tell us what the problems were gonna be with a big spring truck arm car from the very beginning before they even ran them?
Exactly. The peanut gallery of told ya so's had plenty of comments after the fact. I did say something about that when they announced they were talking about building the car in the first place. It happens with every change. I could name names lol but what's the use.

Qualifying times don’t mean schit if nobody can pass once there’s 30 cars on the track.
I didnt watch a race this year where they couldnt pass. Some races had more passes then others and since it was year 1 of the new car I dont feel the need to freak out like some on here do. I guess its because I come from a generation that went to races and let them play out, i didnt expect cars to run side by side and get 50 passes for the lead (sarcasm) every race and some races had more some less.

I didnt watch a race this year where they couldnt pass. Some races had more passes then others and since it was year 1 of the new car I dont feel the need to freak out like some on here do. I guess its because I come from a generation that went to races and let them play out, i didnt expect cars to run side by side and get 50 passes for the lead (sarcasm) every race and some races had more some less.
The aero on these cars is what inhibits passing. All the drivers complain about it.

I watched the '71 Greenville 200 on Youtube that Bobby Issac won. He was the only car in the lead lap. He said he thought Petty and Pearson would have run better than they did. The announcing was better than we have today.

Over 200 million views for the Martinsville move lol. Ross talks about the car later in the clip

Maybe some Gen 7 gains can be made from Garage 56 entry
I would have never thought that anything could be gained from a Chevy bodied stock car developed without restraint. I wonder why MY TRD team didn't sign up for that. Oh, that's right, they never knew....but, but, but they can attend all sessions with the car. So, clearly nothing to be gained by the Ex Con's outfit having data using a Chevy body. Nothing. Not. One. Thing.

Throw the Gen7 in the garbage can and start over
scrooge-mcduck.jpg

I would have never thought that anything could be gained from a Chevy bodied stock car developed without restraint. I wonder why MY TRD team didn't sign up for that. Oh, that's right, they never knew....but, but, but they can attend all sessions with the car. So, clearly nothing to be gained by the Ex Con's outfit having data using a Chevy body. Nothing. Not. One. Thing.
If anything you should be thanking Chevy for saving YOUR TRD money. Chevy is footing the bill for this one, and sharing the data with everyone.

If anything you should be thanking Chevy for saving YOUR TRD money. Chevy is footing the bill for this one, and sharing the data with everyone.
They would never hold back IP. Never. That doesn't happen with a collaborative effort where only one manufacturer was invited to collaborate. WE have tons of money and routinely throw it at the sport. Keep up with the narrative.

Not sure that this is the thread for it, but this is interesting stuff. If they limit the team sim, it seems to me that they make the manufacturer even more relevant.

At least we can agree on one thing
WE are not alone....but I know....the narrative....because Toyota spent money, Chevy had to....because LeMans is free.

WE are not alone....but I know....the narrative....because Toyota spent money, Chevy had to....because LeMans is free.

I regret asking but what do Chevy's IndyCar efforts have to do with NASCAR? 25 words or less, if possible, please.

I regret asking but what do Chevy's IndyCar efforts have to do with NASCAR? 25 words or less, if possible, please.
New technical center houses NASCAR as well....on the Ex Con Campus....Interesting.....Seems as though Mr. H has Chevy under his thumb....

Back
Top Bottom