Post 2022 Gen 7 Car Upgrades

You said that ^ ...

I called your remark nonsense because that’s exactly what it is. I also said this:

You’re well behind the news curve.

So is a concussion nonsense? Is there advancement in concussion technology in the past 6 months??

You said that ^ ...

I called your remark nonsense because that’s exactly what it is. I also said this:

You’re well behind the news curve.
And I posted a clip of Joey giving the reason as to why these changes aren't instantaneous like some think is so easy. The problem with the rear end has been addressed, pictures above prove that.
I believe the mods to the exhaust boxes have been posted also, Time will tell if they solve the tire fire problem, but one failure because the 54 team didn't install their exhaust properly and nobody else didn't have any problems on a high braking track is a good start.

And I posted a clip of Joey giving the reason as to why these changes aren't instantaneous like some think is so easy. The problem with the rear end has been addressed, pictures above prove that.
I believe the mods to the exhaust boxes have been posted also, Time will tell if they solve the tire fire problem, but one failure because the 54 team didn't install their exhaust properly and nobody else didn't have any problems on a high braking track is a good start.

Still didn’t answer my question about what they’re doing about concussions here.

So is a concussion nonsense? Is there advancement in concussion technology in the past 6 months??
Ask Roger Goodell.

Competitors in high impact sports have been suffering concussions for decades ... long before there were any protocols in place to even identify them. Dale Earnhardt Jr is pretty sure he suffered at least 25 closed head injuries.

NASCAR’s effort to reduce the severity of impact during crashes is documented here. If you’re you lazy to “sift through negative posters“ you will simply remain uninformed ... a more comfortable place for you, I’m sure.

Do I think what they’ve done or will do in the future will eliminate concussions? No, I don’t.

Still didn’t answer my question about the advancement in concussion technology & innovative safety with the NextGen car. Last I checked Alex Bowman, Kurt Busch had serious concussion issues.

Still didn’t answer my question about the advancement in concussion technology & innovative safety with the NextGen car. Last I checked Alex Bowman, Kurt Busch had serious concussion issues.
Alex Bowman is racing a sprint car in Florida tonight. What in the sam hell are you talking about?

Alex Bowman is racing a sprint car in Florida tonight. What in the sam hell are you talking about?

Still didn’t answer my question about what changes they are making to the Gen7 to improve the rate or lack there of concussions among drivers.

Based on comments from various podcasts it seems like carbon monoxide in the ****pits was a problem Sunday night. Not great....im sure NASCAR will figure it out.

Was listening to Gordon on the late shift and he said the redesigned lug that was abandoned had about one less thread in it, but was supposed to be able to be able to be retained better with the spring loaded locking pin. I guess it was abandoned because during the COTA test they found them coming loose on the left side even when they were properly torqued. He made it sound like brake forces were actually the culprit. Likely could be solved with right hand thread on one side and left on other but I guess they didn't want to go down that road.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Ok. Watched the video. From what I'm hearing, drivers are saying even what most consider very small impacts still hurt their head. I'd extrapolate that to mean, the impacts felt at the Clash are about the minimum they will feel. More speed differential will be worse. Not good. It's quite unfortunate that this car design will reduce the length of careers. Not necessarily like Kurt's but some will just decide to Carl Edwards. Too much risk. I'm out. I'll always believe Carl got his bell rung really good at his last race. Wife said, you done!🧐

NASCAR Has Work to Do on Short Track, Road Course Package​

Between the safety issues and the aero issues, I'm wondering if maybe there wasn't enough NextGen testing before the 2022 season. Don't forget they were gonna run a 550 hp/8 inch spoiler package at the intermediates last year. It took them until the December 2021 test at Charlotte to figure out it wasn't gonna work.

On the other hand, there have been aero changes for every season since 2015. The racing product on intermediates was good last year and hopefully we will be able to see some improvement on the short tracks and road courses in 2023.

Between the safety issues and the aero issues, I'm wondering if maybe there wasn't enough NextGen testing before the 2022 season. Don't forget they were gonna run a 550 hp/8 inch spoiler package at the intermediates last year. It took them until the December 2021 test at Charlotte to figure out it wasn't gonna work.

Welcome to the club. I've been shouting this from the rooftops from day one, but almost nobody wants to hear the message. The performance issues are unfortunate, the safety issues are inexcusable. Also, everyone wants to crow about the car's intermediate track success, but was it REALLY worth screwing up every other package to get it?

The drama queens continue to dredge up the past, and conviently forget the constant design changes to improve the car and the racing. You have to drag them into the present kicking and screaming, never catching up the reality of what is. Is it perfect? Nope it will never be, some changes will probably make the car worse. One car can't be a world beater on every type of track it's a compromise.

If you can't make substantial positive improvements over what you have, why change at all? So far they have spent boatloads of money, put a bunch of people out of work, made a less safe car and screwed up the racing at as many or more tracks then it helped. If this is what success looks like, count me out. The point is NASCAR partnered with the wrong people to design the car, and then half assed the R&D process like they do with just about every other thing they do, and they are going to chase their tail for God knows how long just trying to get back to where they were in the first place.

Some facts instead of drama. From Yahoo:

The most meticulously designed and intently controlled racecar in NASCAR history leveled the field in 2022.

The so-called Next Gen car resulted in 19 different winners over 36 races, including five first-timers and two guys who earned their first shot at a championship in the season finale. It provided more exciting racing at most tracks and may have helped improve attendance and television ratings.

The biggest teams, the ones with the deepest pockets, no longer had clear-cut advantages like they did in previous decades. The best drivers didn’t have huge edges, either.
“Before this year (and) the Next Gen car, you had to have a relationship with one of five race teams if you wanted to come into this sport. You had to,” NASCAR President Steve Phelps said in November. “This car changed that.”

COVID thru a wrench in the whole thing. It puzzles me that NASCAR & the teams didn't get together and just say stop. Let's push this back 5? years so we can be certain everything works? I know some will scream about money. According to some owners, new car is MORE expensive because have to write a check for everything. Before had people on payroll that could build whatever they needed inhouse. Apparently paying employees was cheaper?🧐

And why didn't NASCAR follow the Australian Supercar route? Strict rules on construction of chassis, in-house, with sprinkles of outside supplied spec parts? Could be using same chassis as Supercar with minor mods for side impacts Nascar sees.

Some facts instead of drama. From Yahoo:

The most meticulously designed and intently controlled racecar in NASCAR history leveled the field in 2022.

The so-called Next Gen car resulted in 19 different winners over 36 races, including five first-timers and two guys who earned their first shot at a championship in the season finale. It provided more exciting racing at most tracks and may have helped improve attendance and television ratings.

The biggest teams, the ones with the deepest pockets, no longer had clear-cut advantages like they did in previous decades. The best drivers didn’t have huge edges, either.
“Before this year (and) the Next Gen car, you had to have a relationship with one of five race teams if you wanted to come into this sport. You had to,” NASCAR President Steve Phelps said in November. “This car changed that.”
Reads like a NASCAR press release? What else would you expect except them slapping themselves on the back? Lot's of rose colored glasses here.

Reads like a NASCAR press release? What else would you expect except them slapping themselves on the back? Lot's of rose colored glasses here.
It's math.

NASCAR Has Work to Do on Short Track, Road Course Package​

They’re making pretty significant aero changes, so hopefully that helps. It sounds in there like there’s still some concern the Gen7 cars are just too good mechanically but this allows them a year to evaluate aero effects while not spending any additional money.

I’m fascinated by the idea that some fans are concerned about the amount of money that multi-millionaire team owners and their multi-billion dollar corporate sponsors spend to indulge themselves on weekends.

Try finding a parking spot for your private jet anywhere near Daytona Beach next week.

The largest problem I see is Nascar's ability to make quick changes to the car, that is why they are focusing on small simple changes.
Nascar knew it had a problem with the rear end of the car early last year, but they had no capability to make quick revisions with only one designated manufacturer allowed to make changes. This will become much more of a non issue as the car is developed and refined.

I’m fascinated by the idea that some fans are concerned about the amount of money that multi-millionaire team owners and their multi-billion dollar corporate sponsors spend to indulge themselves on weekends.

Try finding a parking spot for your private jet anywhere near Daytona Beach next week.
The new car went over budget for most teams last year apparently, so the series is probably hamstrung in some regard as to what else they can change without asking the teams to spend more money. It’s just the circumstances of the situation at the moment. This seems like a workable solution for this season at least.

Elliott mentioned in the article that I posted that the car was fine at Martinsville after the car had around 90 laps on the tires. Hello Goodyear? The wider rim and tires have really made the setups much less critical on short tracks because of the increased traction in addition to the IRS. Less downforce and a tire that gives up quicker IMO is the direction to go.

The new car went over budget for most teams last year apparently, so the series is probably hamstrung in some regard as to what else they can change without asking the teams to spend more money. It’s just the circumstances of the situation at the moment. This seems like a workable solution for this season at least.
As you know, NASCAR is not impervious to the ravages of inflation and supply chain raw materials / finished product shortages.

It’s still far less expensive to put together and maintain 7 cars per charter than it was to run a fleet of 15 or 20 track-specific chassis / body combinations. Ross Chastain won at COTA and at Talladega with the same car. That’s what Next Gen is all about.

Elliott mentioned in the article that I posted that the car was fine at Martinsville after the car had around 90 laps on the tires. Hello Goodyear? The wider rim and tires have really made the setups much less critical on short tracks because of the increased traction in addition to the IRS. Less downforce and a tire that gives up quicker IMO is the direction to go.
Tires ... the most important components on any racing car.

I wouldn’t waste too much time and money working on anything else.

Back
Top Bottom