Qualifying

Rafe hollister

Team Owner
Being a race fan of the 50s 60s 70s 80s and 90s it was called "time trials" I gotta say I don't understand the way they qualify these days, does anyone know?

NASCAR-Qualifying.jpg

Now explain the difference between NA$CAR and F1 qualifying?
Nascar has practice sessions and then a "Qualifying event"
F1 uses the times of a practice session much like Nascar does if the qualifying event is rained out.

I think this graphic is a bit outdated. Don't Daytona and Talladega now use two rounds, but only one car on the the track at a time? I haven't looked at Q at either track in years. Daytona Q still only determines the first two starting positions, and starting position at either track has almost no impact on the outcome.

Don't they use two rounds at the road courses, not three? And three rounds at everywhere else that isn't a plate or RC?

I understand the multi-round format, but my senior memory makes me think this doesn't properly describe where one, two, and three-round format are applied.

Last edited:
I think this graphic is a bit outdated. Don't Daytona and Talladega now use two rounds, but only one car on the the track at a time? I haven't looked at Q at either track in years. Daytona Q still only determines the first two starting positions, and starting position at either track has almost no impact on the outcome.

Don't they use two rounds at the road courses, not three? And three rounds at everywhere else that isn't a plate or RC?

I understand the multi-round format, but my senior memory makes me think this doesn't properly describe where one, two, and three-round format are applied.
IMO just another gimmick that doesn't work.

To be perfectly honest, the new qualifying format was something I was prepared to hate, but I actually don't see anything wrong with it. As a TV format, it works quite well. Not sure what it's like in person, been a long time since I was at a track for qualifying. The format I hated the most was the previous one where the fastest car in practice went out last even if that was a disadvantage. My thought was teams should have got to pick their qualifying spot based on practice the way they pick pit stalls. If you were fastest and wanted to be the third car out, you could get it. This new format pretty much levels the playing field for everybody.

I tried, and failed, to find the current qualifying rules on the NASCAR site but Wikipedia seems to back up your version of three rounds at all tracks except road courses and restrictor plate tracks (excluding the Daytona 500).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASCAR_rules_and_regulations#Qualifying_procedure

In summary, according to Wikipedia, it boils down to this:

Qualifying procedure
Standard procedure

. . . . in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series, tracks shorter than 2 miles in the Xfinity Series, and tracks shorter than 1.5 miles in the Camping World Truck Series, round 1 is 20 minutes long. The fastest 24 advance to round 2 which is 10 minutes long. The fastest 12 advance to round 3 which determines pole position. In addition to determine who advances to round 2, round 1 also determines who will and will not qualify for the race and starting positions 25–40 (Cup Series), 25–40 (Xfinity), or 25–32 (Camping World Truck). Similarly, round 2 will determine starting positions 13–24, with round 3 determining positions 1–12.

On road courses, there are only two sessions: Round 1 is 25 minutes with the top 12 advancing to Round 2 which is 10 minutes.

Restrictor plate tracks, ovals longer than 2 miles in Xfinity, and ovals longer than 1.5 miles in Trucks
Due to how the draft works in restrictor plate racing . . . . a single car qualifying format is used for restrictor plate racetracks. The single car system will only be used at the plate tracks, ovals 2 miles and longer in the Xfinity series, and ovals 1.5 miles or longer in the Truck series.

In round 1, cars are sent out one at a time at the direction of a NASCAR official. NASCAR will release cars roughly half a lap apart to prevent any aerodynamic advantage from being gained from a competitor's car. The order in which cars go on track is the inverse of practice speeds. As with the road course format, the top 12 cars advance to the final round.

Round 2 cars will qualify from slowest to fastest based off their speeds from round 1. The fastest car will win the pole.

Here's to your senior memory . . . :cheers:

Last edited:
Back in the day, there were more cars than could run the race so they had to qualify for the race. If a top driver or team didn't qualify on time, they had a system of provisionals that allowed them in the race. These days every team pretty much is guaranteed a spot in the race so time trials might be the better term.

Why the hell does Kansas qualifying determine pit selection in Martinsville? Don’t get it.

I think the last time I saw qualifying was when Phil Barkdol qualified for the Daytona 500 so it has been a while. I understand that the fastest car doesn't always sit on the pole with the format currently in use which doesn't make sense but I ain't watchin' it so I don't care what they do. Also IDK if the current format is easy or hard to understand and I have no clue why qualifying for Kansas would impact starting positions at Martinsville.

Some of us do. The results can be a useful tool for fantasy purposes at many tracks (which is why I like the three-round format better than the old two-lap one).

yeah showing up with a fast car can sometimes help with the handy capping purposes. It usually turns out that my front runner picks are mid pack after a couple laps though.:D

Why the hell does Kansas qualifying determine pit selection in Martinsville? Don’t get it.
This is the third time this year pit selection has been determined by the previous race's qualifying. It's being done because of the two-day format being used for those races, with Q being held on the same Sunday as the race. I'm told that having Q on Sunday doesn't allow the teams enough time to get their pit equipment moved to the boxes afterward. Thus, they make the selection based on the previous week's Q and can move into their boxes earlier in the day.

I don't like it for a variety of reasons, but BZF didn't call me.

This is the third time this year pit selection has been determined by the previous race's qualifying. It's being done because of the two-day format being used for those races, with Q being held on the same Sunday as the race. I'm told that having Q on Sunday doesn't allow the teams enough time to get their pit equipment moved to the boxes afterward. Thus, they make the selection based on the previous week's Q and can move into their boxes earlier in the day.

I don't like it for a variety of reasons, but BZF didn't call me.
Thank you. It’s been this way all year? How did I not know this?

Thank you. It’s been this way all year? How did I not know this?
Just two other races were this way, although I don't recall which ones. All of the other races had qualifying on Friday or Saturday, so there was plenty of time to pick pit stalls and get set up.

Just two other races were this way, although I don't recall which ones. All of the other races had qualifying on Friday or Saturday, so there was plenty of time to pick pit stalls and get set up.

I don't like it. Truex could, not likely, qualify 21st yet still get the prime #1 pit selection.

It is what it is and the same for everyone unless your CC isn't paying attention.

If they are going to do something different with the Martinsville pit selection, why not make it something actually relevant to Martinsville? Why not by finishing position at the last Martinsville race, or where you qualified there the last time? Using the Kansas race is just plain stupid. I would just tell the teams they have X number of minutes to get their pit stalls set up after qualifying ends. If they can't get it done, maybe they will rethink bringing a rig as big as an aircraft carrier next time. Everything NASCAR seems to do these days seems to be an over-reaction to something, just like Kenseth's penalty yesterday. Talk about getting the death penalty for jay walking........

If they are going to do something different with the Martinsville pit selection, why not make it something actually relevant to Martinsville? Why not by finishing position at the last Martinsville race, or where you qualified there the last time? Using the Kansas race is just plain stupid. I would just tell the teams they have X number of minutes to get their pit stalls set up after qualifying ends. If they can't get it done, maybe they will rethink bringing a rig as big as an aircraft carrier next time. Everything NASCAR seems to do these days seems to be an over-reaction to something, just like Kenseth's penalty yesterday. Talk about getting the death penalty for jay walking........
The Kenseth penalty wasn't an overreaction. It was announced as part of the 5-minute repair rules before the season started.

Like most things in the wonderful world of auto racing, it’s the same for everybody.

First world problem ...

Is it really that big of a problem? I mean I enjoy the qualifying and race on the same day and could care less what the pit selection process is. Using qualifying times from the previous week make plenty of sense and makes it alot easier to set up knowing where you'll be next week.

Back
Top Bottom