Qualifying

Is it really that big of a problem? I mean I enjoy the qualifying and race on the same day and could care less what the pit selection process is. Using qualifying times from the previous week make plenty of sense and makes it alot easier to set up knowing where you'll be next week.
Depends on the track. Ryan Blaney will likely qualify in the top 12 at M'ville, a track with a relatively narrow pit road with small boxes and two tight blind turns. Since his Q time at Kansas was DQ'ed, he'll get last choice. Pit stall choice means a lot more at M'ville than it does at Kansas, the track where his selection order was actually locked in. It wouldn't matter as much if his choice was locked in at M'ville for the next race at Texas, where the stalls are bigger and the road is wider and straight.

Oh, and you won't know where you're going to set up the next week, only the order in which you'll choose stalls.

Depends on the track. Ryan Blaney will likely qualify in the top 12 at M'ville, a track with a relatively narrow pit road with small boxes and two tight blind turns. Since his Q time at Kansas was DQ'ed, he'll get last choice. Pit stall choice means a lot more at M'ville than it does at Kansas, the track where his selection order was actually locked in. It wouldn't matter as much if his choice was locked in at M'ville for the next race at Texas, where the stalls are bigger and the road is wider and straight.

Oh, and you won't know where you're going to set up the next week, only the order in which you'll choose stalls.

That's the 21 teams fault not this qualifying rule. Is that the only problem that it's Martinsville? Because I like the rule and could care less where even Kyle Busch lines up on pit road. I dread Martinsville although the first race wasn't all that bad and the stage racing kind of helped it be more entertaining for me.

Truex and at least the first 10 choices should at least have an idea where they will pit from before choosing.

That's the 21 teams fault not this qualifying rule. Is that the only problem that it's Martinsville? Because I like the rule and could care less where even Kyle Busch lines up on pit road. I dread Martinsville although the first race wasn't all that bad and the stage racing kind of helped it be more entertaining for me.

Truex and at least the first 10 choices should at least have an idea where they will pit from before choosing.
I agree it's the #21's fault.

To me, it's not that it's Martinsville. I can see other tracks where it could cause a problem, but so far the fall M'ville race is only one of three where selection based on the previous race has been implemented.

Personally, I dislike Sunday Q because it makes fantasy selection a pain in the butt. It greatly reduces the time between Q and entry deadlines. It also complicates fantasy choices by separating qualifying from pit box selection, adding another (admittedly minor) factor to consider. Now you can't assume that a good Q time also means getting a good pit box.

I just don't like the notion that performance at one track should affect performance at another, esp. when it only applies to a selection of races and not an entire season. I -might- feel differently if pit selection at EVERY race was based on the previous week's Q.

To me, it's not that it's Martinsville. I can see other tracks where it could cause a problem, but so far the fall M'ville race is only one of three where selection based on the previous race has been implemented.

Personally, I dislike Sunday Q because it makes fantasy selection a pain in the butt. It greatly reduces the time between Q and entry deadlines. It also complicates selection by separating qualifying from pit box selection, adding another (admittedly minor) factor to consider. Now you can't assume that a good Q time also means getting a good pit box.

I always try to get my fantasy lineups in before qualifying as I feel it's kind of cheap to just wait on qualifying to set them. Might see a practice or something but always feel dirty if I wait til after qualifying.

The Kenseth penalty wasn't an overreaction. It was announced as part of the 5-minute repair rules before the season started.

Once again, I'm not arguing the rule, only the penalty. In my opinion it just doesn't fit the crime. ONE person made a simple mistake, and the whole team gets sent home? Would you have a team forfeit a game because they had 12 men on the field for a play? The post race lugnut penalty is just as absurd. Sending the offender back to the last car on the lead lap or a set number of position penalty would be MORE than enough and more than appropriate. Suspending people for loose lugnuts is just silly.

Is it really that big of a problem? I mean I enjoy the qualifying and race on the same day and could care less what the pit selection process is. Using qualifying times from the previous week make plenty of sense and makes it alot easier to set up knowing where you'll be next week.

It's taking away an earned perk for qualifying well at that track. If you qualify good at Martinsville, you SHOULD get a better pit stall. I could care less how you qualified at Kansas. Hell, let's set the field for the Daytona 500 based on Martinsville qualifying. That would be just as logical.

I like the hell out of the rule. The team was cheating on purpose. The owners (RTA) made the rule and came up with their penalty themselves. Kudos to Nascar for taking the heat and not throwing the owners under the bus. Doesn't have a damn thing to do with qualifying in this thread though. Qualifying format is the best version that has evolved IMO.

Once again, I'm not arguing the rule, only the penalty. In my opinion it just doesn't fit the crime. ONE person made a simple mistake, and the whole team gets sent home? Would you have a team forfeit a game because they had 12 men on the field for a play? The post race lugnut penalty is just as absurd. Sending the offender back to the last car on the lead lap or a set number of position penalty would be MORE than enough and more than appropriate. Suspending people for loose lugnuts is just silly.

I agree as I am not arguing the validity of the rule I am arguing the draconian penalty but by all means penalize the team but don't take am M16 to a swarm of mosquitoes.

I like the hell out of the rule. The team was cheating on purpose. The owners (RTA) made the rule and came up with their penalty themselves. Kudos to Nascar for taking the heat and not throwing the owners under the bus.

Of course you like the rule............................when it is applied to Toyota.....................

It's taking away an earned perk for qualifying well at that track. If you qualify good at Martinsville, you SHOULD get a better pit stall. I could care less how you qualified at Kansas. Hell, let's set the field for the Daytona 500 based on Martinsville qualifying. That would be just as logical.

While I understand what you are saying, your Daytona example is not as logical. I think it's fine but also see that the inconsistency in which this type of thing seems to be the problem. I like the 2 day weekends that NASCAR has done this year and I believe it's better experience for a race goer. NASCAR should implement a few more next year and maybe fans will be used to pit selection by previous weeks qualifying. Easy fix though is just allow them to pick pit stalls by points every week though.

While I understand what you are saying, your Daytona example is not as logical. I think it's fine but also see that the inconsistency in which this type of thing seems to be the problem. I like the 2 day weekends that NASCAR has done this year and I believe it's better experience for a race goer. NASCAR should implement a few more next year and maybe fans will be used to pit selection by previous weeks qualifying. Easy fix though is just allow them to pick pit stalls by points every week though.

Save time and money by having 2 lottery style picks with the first being for starting position and the second being for pit selection. Allow these commodities to be traded so the weaker and lesser funded teams could make a buck from selling them and everyone wins.

I don't mind the two day weekends, but change the sequence. Instead of two practice sessions on Saturday, run one P and then run Q. On Sunday, run another P and then race. That will give the teams plenty of time to get set up. And if it rained Saturday night, that Sunday P can be used to work in some rubber, check tire wear, and eliminate the competition caution.

Truck and X teams don't have problems getting set up after qualifying the same day, and they often have to work around Cup teams.

I don't mind the two day weekends, but change the sequence. Instead of two practice sessions on Saturday, run one P and then run Q. On Sunday, run another P and then race. That will give the teams plenty of time to get set up.

Truck and X teams don't have problems getting set up after qualifying the same day, and they often have to work around Cup teams. And if it rained Saturday night, that Sunday P can be used to work in some rubber, check tire wear, and eliminate the competition caution.
yeah soon to be more two day's. Besides a cost saver, it seems to be really popular with teams and all the ancillary personnel because it frees up more home time. Who wouldn't like less work days with the same pay.

I don't mind the two day weekends, but change the sequence. Instead of two practice sessions on Saturday, run one P and then run Q. On Sunday, run another P and then race. That will give the teams plenty of time to get set up. And if it rained Saturday night, that Sunday P can be used to work in some rubber, check tire wear, and eliminate the competition caution.

Truck and X teams don't have problems getting set up after qualifying the same day, and they often have to work around Cup teams.

Agree, another thing that we experienced this year with a rain out of the Xfinity at Kentucky was a doulbe header on Saturday with Cup and Xfinity. Was great to arrive at the track and watch Xfinity then go tailgate until Cup. Feel like NASCAR should look more into that type of thing as well. Use one day for practice and qualifying and another for racing. Obviously wouldnt work on Sundays as much as people hate late Cup starts though.

yeah soon to be more two day's. Besides a cost saver, it seems to be really popular with teams and all the ancillary personnel because it frees up more home time. Who wouldn't like less work days with the same pay.

How do you know they are receiving the same pay?

Agree, another thing that we experienced this year with a rain out of the Xfinity at Kentucky was a doulbe header on Saturday with Cup and Xfinity. Was great to arrive at the track and watch Xfinity then go tailgate until Cup. Feel like NASCAR should look more into that type of thing as well. Use one day for practice and qualifying and another for racing. Obviously wouldnt work on Sundays as much as people hate late Cup starts though.
Funny, the Cup teams seemed to have plenty of time to get their pit equipment in place after the X race, and that included the time necessary to get the X gear out of the way.

they might, but the later starts puts the race closer to prime time for much of the country. There is a plus and minus to everything

they might, but the later starts puts the race closer to prime time for much of the country. There is a plus and minus to everything

The finale worked out well for Nascar a couple of years ago when it was delayed and invaded the SNF pregame show. To borrow a line from LTCG "I was more frustrated than a 3 legged dog trying to bury a turd on an icy lake" as I was all primed for Tony, Dan and Rodney and the SOB's didn't kick the race to cable.

There was a time that the previous Cup Champion got the first stall on pit road for the entire year (an unfair advantage). And I think the rest drew for pit stall picks.

I don't like the idea of qualifying once for two races.

There was a time that the previous Cup Champion got the first stall on pit road for the entire year (an unfair advantage). And I think the rest drew for pit stall picks.

I don't like the idea of qualifying once for two races.
They qualifying for each race separately. It's only the pit stall selection order that carries over.

Cost cutting could come from qualifying. NO Qualifying at all. You line up and make pit stall selections according to your finish of the previous race. Fail post race inspection and you start at the back. Period.
Look at the saving from change overs, testing, special oils etc. and the time wasted from practice to make these change overs.

Back
Top Bottom