Race thread: 102nd Indy 500

I don't get the Will Power hate, or snarking the wife.
He has won everthing else, the 500 his weakness.
And then it is happening at the 500 and his biggest moment, what is she suppose to do?
Know her place and dissappear to their RV, lest the public sees her emotions?
Damn the man with a emotional wife, and all the happy sh!t that goes with winning, just make them stop it now.

Most of all it is the productions job and Camaras crew call. If I was bothered enough by the traversity and indignaty, I would write them and tell to keep it to the serious men folk only.
I don't hate him. I just wanted someone else to win.

Well that was an anti-climactic finish. Loved that emotion though.

Yeah - a bit - TK crashing late was a bummer too. But stretching fuel at Indy (2.5 mile track) is tough to do if your fuel program says you should be about out and you still have 7 or 8 miles to go. Can't coast that distance.

In truth I think WP would have passed them anyway at the end when they were sputtering - if they got that far.

I don't get the Will Power hate, or snarking the wife.
He has won everthing else, the 500 his weakness.
And then it is happening at the 500 and his biggest moment, what is she suppose to do?
Know her place and dissappear to their RV, lest the public sees her emotions?
Damn the man with a emotional wife, and all the happy sh!t that goes with winning, just make them stop it now.

Most of all it is the productions job and Camaras crew call. If I was bothered enough by the traversity and indignity. I would write them and tell to keep it to the serious men folk only.

eh talking about that instead of outstanding moves, passes or the finish? It frankly was one of the more notable moments in the race besides Rossi trying to make something happen IMO.

eh talking about that instead of outstanding moves, passes or the finish? It frankly was one of the more notable moments in the race besides Rossi trying to make something happen IMO.

Rossi definitely injected some excitement with those moves - but his car qualified 32nd out of 33 so I didn't figure he would be able to pull it off. He made it interesting though - I'm now a Rossi fan.

Good tactical race that could have broken several different ways based on circumstance. Passing was difficult but hardly impossible. Those Rossi moves were special because of the obvious challenge and daring involved. Good to see handling at a premium and the cars being on edge again. It was infinitely better than what people who would call that boring would want instead.

Way too many things to address in a single post, but let's play rate the race:

Best Driver: Will Power had the most under-the-radar race of anyone. He was invisible most of the month, never fastest until it counted. By the time they saw him coming it was too late to hold him off. The win of a true champion.

Worst Driver: Davison was a wreck looking happen, and on that account he disappointed no one.

Best Team: Gotta go with Ganassi. Dixon was nowhere all day and strategy got him up to third.

Best Overtake: Rossi was insane on the restarts.

Best Moment: Victory lane

Tyres:  Cast iron Firestone reliability

Most Unlucky: gotta be Kaanan. He had a solid grip on the race until his puncture. He wrecked simply because he had to make something happen and salvage a race he really should have won.

And the race in a sentence: Fiercely contested and wildly unpredictable, like it should be.

I rated it: 9.5

364 days to go!

Last edited:
Rossi definitely injected some excitement with those moves - but his car qualified 32nd out of 33 so I didn't figure he would be able to pull it off. He made it interesting though - I'm now a Rossi fan.
Did I miss it, did they interview him or did they have to get to the F1 replay ASAP?

Whining Michael Andretti is already saying the cars need more downforce next year, too hard to pass. Nate Ryan is writing a story on it.

Jeez, I can only hope IndyCar pays no attention to anything like that. It was harder to drive in the 500 today than it's been in years and that's how it's supposed to be.

Whining Michael Andretti is already saying the cars need more downforce next year, too hard to pass. Nate Ryan is writing a story on it.

Jeez, I can only hope IndyCar pays no attention to anything like that. It was harder to drive in the 500 today than it's been in years and that's how it's supposed to be.
didn't take long. ;)

Ugh. I used to think to each their own, but these voices need to be challenged. There is a clear divide regarding lower HP / higher downforce vs. higher HP / lower downforce. One side is going to win and there really is no sitting passively in the middle.

They should continue to remove downforce and the upcoming power increase will be good as well. The drivers will adjust and there won't be as many wtf spinouts. Michael is just being a whiny twat.

Power deserved that win. Always cool to see a first time winner at this event. Carpenter was also strong but it was clear Power had more speed towards the end. Props to him and his team.

If we're going to compare to NASCAR, in the initial races with the lower downforce package, there were many surprise single car spins. Come 2018, there have essentially been 'too few' accidents and spins for many tastes, with one race nearly going natural caution free for the first time in decades. Drivers adjust.

This race blew chunks.

I about die from laughing when those two pitted with 5 laps to go so randomly. You run it until is out at that point dudes.

Fantastic race! Watching Rossi pass on the outside was incredible. The guy put his car in places the other competitors wouldn’t put their cars and it paid off. His team put together a great race package and he moved to the front. Without the late caution he might have won.

Congrats to Will Powers. The guy was great in Winner’s Circle. The true joy of getting the win and getting the monkey off his back was great to watch.

It was one of the most entertaining Indy 500’s I’ve watched in a long time.

lmaooooooo

Yep, that's the Will Power that has stuck with me over the years. Also back in the day when
he said "I always race Dario clean but he races me dirty" was nonsense . I put this win in the
same category as Patrick Reed winning the Masters. Happy for him , but holding
my nose at the same time.

It looked like the only passing was on restarts. I don't follow Indycar close enough to know what was different with the car. It seemed like there was lower down force, they were lifting in the corners (good). But the cars didn't seem able to close up for a pass (bad). I was hoping Danica would have had a better race (I think she is a good race car driver).

Whats done is done. Glad I was there to watch her career; good and bad.
Or.....maybe GoDaddy will talk her into pulling a Jeff Gordon and sign her up for a 3 year race deal to run the Indy 500 only. In a perfect world I could see that happening.:D

Yep, that's the Will Power that has stuck with me over the years. Also back in the day when
he said "I always race Dario clean but he races me dirty" was nonsense . I put this win in the
same category as Patrick Reed winning the Masters. Happy for him , but holding
my nose at the same time.
I’ll always remember this Will Power

That sucks. I was hoping she would have a good finish today. No one can say she wasn't trying.

I was hoping that she did well , too. Especially after I spent $65.00 buying one of her replica cars.

Hmmmm.

Then there was the lanyard, that DANICA'S GARAGE sign, and the key chain. Oh yeah. That magnetic sign. And yep, did I mention that GO DADDY t-shirt?

Oh geez, I just remembered that GO DADDY ball cap with the number 13 on the back!!

Oh well. At least I've got my son's Christmas shopping over with early.

:(

Last edited:
DePKYPzX0AEG-OW.jpg

Back
Top Bottom