Race thread: 102nd Indy 500

DePKYPzX0AEG-OW.jpg

I love it.

Congrats to Will Power! He's been getting better on ovals, but a win in the crown jewel event just cements his reputation as one of the best all-around in IndyCar!

Gutted about Danica. I was hoping she would be able to finish her career on a decent note, maybe even get back the Indy 500 she lost years ago. ;) Alas, it was not to be...

Should the racing in the Indianapolis 500 have a different look in 2019?
Alexander Rossi: his porridge was tooo cold
“More downforce,” fourth-place finisher Alexander Rossi said. “We need more, man. This car looks great. The road course car is fantastic, but it’s pretty hard to pass around here.”

Scott Dixon: his porridge was too hot
Scott Dixon agreed an improvement could be achieved through the tire but wasn’t necessarily on board with altering the downforce levels to a great degree.

Race winner Will Power? : oh man oh man oh man this porridge was just right
“This was a race you wanted to lead,” said the Team Penske driver, who led 59 laps. “At last they had a formula, if you had a good car, the leader could benefit and pull away. I liked it. It definitely made it harder to drive. Put the driver back into it more, where before you could hang back, third, no one wanted to lead.”

https://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2...dianapolis-500-have-a-different-look-in-2019/

Reactions: JW1
“More downforce,” fourth-place finisher Alexander Rossi said.
200.gif

It would be easy to say Power only liked it because he won, but he said well before the race that he liked the changes to the car for this year.

Ed Carpenter said maybe a marginal improvement could be used...but generally he liked the way the car drove, it was challenging, it rewarded good driving, it was difficult but possible to pass if you had a good car, and the cars will improve as they continue to work on them. Of course, it was also the hottest 500 on record so that is another reason not to make any kneejerk reactions.

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/...superspeedway-kit-may-need-to-change-1042788/

Way too many things to address in a single post, but let's play rate the race:

Best Driver: Several candidates for me...Power, Carpenter, Rossi. Rossi for his incredible overtaking ability, and Power and Carpenter for being so quick all month and being virtually mistake-free. But Power has to get the nod for the win.

Worst Driver: Davison, totally out to lunch. Looked good last year until he wrecked. This year, no pace, and his mistake cost someone else their race. Very hot-and-cold driver who had similar issues in sports cars with being quick but very aggressive and accident-prone (was actually banned from PWC once).

Best Team: Gonna say Foyt here. So terrible for so many years recently, but they've gotten so much better this year. Kanaan was one of the best all month until his wreck, and Leist did very well all month for a rookie.

Best Overtake: 

Best Moment: Seeing the joy of the Powers in Victory Lane was awesome. And for a brief period of time, the possibility of Stefan Wilson winning had me ready to cry.

Tyres:  Durable but wore. Can't ask for much more than that.

Most Unlucky: Sato...not much you can do there.

And the race in a sentence: As close to old-school as Indy has been in a while.

I rated it: 8.5 - would have liked to see Kanaan, Bourdais, Helio still alive at the end and maybe a longer run to the checkered, but it was pretty damn good.

I'm glad for Will Power. I think he deserved it. He got 2.5 mil for winning. I can't wait to see the race film. When the tire rolled up to the end of the pit wall- I'm standing right there on the other side of the fence filming it. I have a yellow t-shirt. My seat is right up that aisle about half way up to the top. I always wear a yellow t-shirt so I can find myself on TV.

:D

I have never been able to sit through an entire Indy 500. I really tried this time. There’s not enough there to ever keep me interested in open wheel.
To each their own. I recognize that there is a folIowing. I don’t enjoy this type of racing.

Will Power winning doesn't swell anyone's heart. I find him kinda cold, but it's hard to imagine he wasn't going to get one eventually, and he's completely qualified and drove a good race. I don't know whether I would have wanted Carpenter to win instead. Rossi with the way he was driving today? Yes, would have preferred that. But congrats to Power.

He's a great racer, there's no doubt about that but one of my favorite things about Indycar was seeing how Power would blow his chance every year at the championship and he wiped that away a few years ago and now he crossed the indy 500 off his list too. I wonder if he saw a sports psychologist or something because he doesn't choke like he use to lol

I had no idea this was a thing, but it sounds cool. And I have no idea how accurate it is, but the jump is somewhat believable considering Thanksgiving Day NFL games have risen as much as 42% through OOH viewership.

He's a great racer, there's no doubt about that but one of my favorite things about Indycar was seeing how Power would blow his chance every year at the championship and he wiped that away a few years ago and now he crossed the indy 500 off his list too. I wonder if he saw a sports psychologist or something because he doesn't choke like he use to lol
Man it must've been three straight years he choked the title away on an oval. Now he's won the last two races at Pocono, the last race at Texas, and the 500.

They tether the suspension. Pretty hard to tether a wheel since it's rotating. Probably broke center out of wheel with wall contact.

I did bust the center out of the wheel. The inside was mangled.

I was standing on the other side of the fence filming and the tire came rolling up to the end of the pit wall- right in front of me.

It’s still so weird to me seeing no Red Target Chip Ganassi Racing cars in the field.

One person I miss is Dario Franchitti. Racing with Dixon- I used to think of them as, "Butch and Sundance". Dixon sure had Dario's back. He helped Dario win a lot of races. Just by running 2nd right behind him.

Back
Top Bottom