RACE thread --- Duels from Daytona

I witnessed Duel 2 in entirety. Only “racing” I saw was the 66 and 62. This was a crapfest. The only other action was pit strategies and the Logano pass on final lap.

I wouldn’t travel and pay to watch this.

NASCAR laid an egg.

That was way more emotional than I was expecting it to be. When FOX tries to be serious they do a great job. For a one-hour program, pretty damn good.

Really good! The rivalry truly existed between the fan bases. The energy that permeated throughout a track back in the day was tangible. I really wish Fox at least made reference to "Fans Against Gordon". You couldn't walk 10 feet without seeing a sign or shirt or hat that said it. It was corny and it would ruffle more feathers than it's worth these days but it was pure.

The fans and live experienced made NASCAR! That's what hurts me the most about modern day NASCAR. It's about the journey. The instant gratification and highlight seeking just doesn't work in distance auto racing.

I thought it was desperation moves myself, freakin hard to pass when you are in the back even with one of the fastest cars. These teams are so sharp these days any little screw up and you are in a big hole. Hopefully hot and slick for the 500 and handling will come into play.

I thought it was desperation moves myself, freakin hard to pass when you are in the back even with one of the fastest cars. These teams are so sharp these days any little screw up and you are in a big hole. Hopefully hot and slick for the 500 and handling will come into play.
They most definitely were. It was the only way to the front and McMurray was completely holding up everyone in the 2nd group. And good on Kurt for already showing his Gnassi allegiance, but sheesh, it was unbelievable how much faster the 9 was than McMurray once he got around Kurt and got to the 40's bumper. Was pretty obvious at that point that Kurt was just cruising the whole time.

upload_2019-2-14_23-7-20.png

you know something I've never been able to figure out after all these years is why do the front row cars run this race? I mean they locked in to the front row why do they have to risk gettng torn up in these q races when they already locked into their postion.

If you're referring to, why are they even on track?
The short answer: nascar, tv, and sponsor exposure.

If you're referring to, why don't they drop to the back immediately lap 1?
Same answer: nascar, tv, and sponsor exposure.

But, there's fair points to be made for both sides, regardless.
Race it pros:
-you can test what you can pull off or not pull off (maybe, assuming they are even pushing hard)
-if you're light on plate experience (gain some)
-practice pit stops under green in live conditions
-car shakedown, possible red flags
-feel out the track and how the 500 may play out (even though completely different night time conditions)

Drop to the back immediately pros:
-Save the car (Trumps all other reasons imo)

The 24 and 88 ran a halfway drop to the back strategy before it got too dicey, got their green flag pit stop in. Good to go! Nothing bad happened.

I missed the Ghost Tour of the French Quarter once I searched Bourbon Street and found the bar showing NASCAR.

I also missed Duel 1.

I witnessed Duel 2 in entirety. Only “racing” I saw was the 66 and 62. This was a crapfest. The only other action was pit strategies and the Logano pass on final lap.

I wouldn’t travel and pay to watch this.

I consoled myself with a Shrimp Po-Boy and Miller High Life.

NASCAR laid an egg.
Its a qualifying race on a plate track. Been this way for a long, long time.

I am normally pretty forgiving in terms of rating races but that was bad. Like really bad. Like bad enough to where I will probably just record the 500 and watch at double speed all of the single file crap. It sucks because there was a time when Daytona 500 day was literally my favorite day of the year.

Its a qualifying race on a plate track. Been this way for a long, long time.

I understand that —

But it reminds me of the how these drivers find their safe spots when their is little incentive to jump out of line and separate (like a Final Lap), especially with the plate and now the spacer that will keep them connected, either clumped up or drawn out in a long line.

Just stay in their safe space and ride around the track...

I understand that —

But it reminds me of the how these drivers find their safe spots when their is little incentive to jump out of line and separate (like a Final Lap), especially with the plate and now the spacer that will keep them connected, either clumped up or drawn out in a long line.

Just stay in their safe space and ride around the track...
This is the same package we ran last year, Big picture racing, nobody wants to tear up a car they've been working on for almost a year.

This is the same package we ran last year, Big picture racing, nobody wants to tear up a car they've been working on for almost a year.

This is exactly why the new aero package will be a disaster because now we will have the big one at every cookie cutter. Teams will be ticked that they have torn up so many cars this year!

The last thing they want to do is go to their back up car from their primary car. Watching Chase Elliott with just one car gaining spots is something you don't normally see. Nobody usually tries that, it is usually suicide, but it showed how strong a car Chase has IMO.

I don't think we'll see multiple 12-15 car pileups in one race at the 1.5ers like Daytona and Talladega, but there could be more wrecks in general

The last thing they want to do is go to their back up car from their primary car. Watching Chase Elliott with just one car gaining spots is something you don't normally see. Nobody usually tries that, it is usually suicide, but it showed how strong a car Chase has IMO.
Yeah but we don't know how many others can do the same thing because no one tried

I was listening to all of the Ford owners being interviewed at Daytona and Jack Roush was convinced that shorter races are coming, not less races. Penske said that these changes that are happening should be called Gen 7 car changes because that is what they are.

The cars were set up for qualifying and not for racing. Plus I think most just wanted to preserve their car for the 500. Starting positions behind the front row doesn't really matter too much for the 500.

The cars were set up for qualifying and not for racing. Plus I think most just wanted to preserve their car for the 500. Starting positions behind the front row doesn't really matter too much for the 500.
The front row doesn't matter either. No front row winners since Dale Jarrett in 2000

I am sure that ,was part of it but it was the same racing as we saw in the Clash where they are supposedly in "wreckers or checkers" mode in full race trim. Hopefully the hot, sunny weather expected for Sunday helps to create a bit more excitement for more than just the final couple of laps.

Back
Top Bottom