RACE thread --- Open and All-Star -- Texas

Jamie McMurray outperformed him in the exact same equipment
They were 50/50, pretty evenly skilled drivers when it came to stock cars. I think the biggest differences in performance came with JPM having the upper-hand at the road courses, and Jamie being a pretty good plate racer.

They were 50/50, pretty evenly skilled drivers when it came to stock cars. I think the biggest differences in performance came with JPM having the upper-hand at the road courses, and Jamie being a pretty good plate racer.
You have to wonder though if JPM would have gotten better if he stuck around longer; the transition from open wheel takes time. He may well have stayed in Nascar longer had he been with a better team and had more success. Who knows.

I didn't watch the race but it is nice to hear that Larson got his 4th win this year.
---------------
Larson 4
Bowman 2
Byron 1
Elliott 1
HMS 8

ZomboDroid 14062021011811.jpg

Chase Elliott has singlehandedly carried HMS for the last 4 years and won a championship, is the most popular driver and arguably the most marketable, but Kyle Larson has managed to undo all of that in half a season and take the reigns. Oh and he did it when HMS was way behind the curve, not the class of the field.

What the hell am I reading in this thread.
I agree that Chase won a championship and he is the most popular driver, which in turn makes him more marketable. But I don't agree that he has single handedly carried HMS for the past 4 years. Bowman has contributed a lot to HMS also and has been in the playoffs every year he has been there. He has taken over the driving duties for a multi time most popular driver and a 7 time champion, and he has done a pretty decent job representing HMS. Larson wasn't at HMS so he can't really be compared with Elliott. All of that other stuff happened in 2020 and earlier and this is 2021 and it is what have you done for me lately... and Larson has won 4 races "three in a row" for HMS lately... and Elliott has won 1. That doesn't mean Elliott won't have a hot streak later during the playoffs and close out the season with another championship... but Larson, Bowman, or Byron could also. This is definitely going to be an interesting season for any fans of any of the HMS drivers.

just wondering
If Hendrick was unable to bankroll Larson
would he have signed him

There was math and confusion, but Larson said he enjoyed it.
"The drafts were so big that you could make up ground for 10 laps or so but then it seemed like your tires started fading and then it got harder to pass," Larson said. "I actually kind of enjoyed it. ... I feel like for Texas it worked."

Hell of a pass on the last restart

Larson got what he wanted.
"That restart just worked out perfect where Chase kind of got choked up and I was able to get to his back bumper and push him past the 12 [of Ryan Blaney] to get him a little bit clear and he shaded left a little bit much and I poked to the outside ... and I’m going to go for it when I get the chance," Larson said.

"If I wreck, I wreck, But I think there will be enough grip and it worked out there was."

Scrolled thru the thread. I remembered why I dont participate in them much anymore. A few wanted to talk about the race, the others gripe and complain. Lets complain about Sammy Hagar some more.

Scrolled thru the thread. I remembered why I dont participate in them much anymore. A few wanted to talk about the race, the others gripe and complain. Lets complain about Sammy Hagar some more.
Don't forget about the incessant cheerleading. As if Gordon doesn't do enough of that from the booth...

I agree that Chase won a championship and he is the most popular driver, which in turn makes him more marketable. But I don't agree that he has single handedly carried HMS for the past 4 years. Bowman has contributed a lot to HMS also and has been in the playoffs every year he has been there. He has taken over the driving duties for a multi time most popular driver and a 7 time champion, and he has done a pretty decent job representing HMS. Larson wasn't at HMS so he can't really be compared with Elliott. All of that other stuff happened in 2020 and earlier and this is 2021 and it is what have you done for me lately... and Larson has won 4 races "three in a row" for HMS lately... and Elliott has won 1. That doesn't mean Elliott won't have a hot streak later during the playoffs and close out the season with another championship... but Larson, Bowman, or Byron could also. This is definitely going to be an interesting season for any fans of any of the HMS drivers.
most of the time it is one driver from a multi car team that is having a good year. With Hendrick, all four cars are having a good year and that is very rare. Larson is the star at the present time. That can all change in a heartbeat the next race. IMO Bowman could have a better record than both Larson and Elliott, but as far as star power goes, Larson or Elliott would still get the lions share of the attention from the fans and the press. I get the fact that Bowman is a really good guy, what makes one driver more popular than the other is a mystery to me anyway. :idunno:

That's why on race day I usually only come on here before the race, during commercials and after the race. It got to the point where it was just a waste of time because very few were actually discussing the race. Especially if there was a rain delay or any rain was in the forecast. :D

I know I'm guilty of it. You'd think I would have learned by now when I go back and read the race thread on Monday or Tuesday and see things I said in the heat of the moment... Yet here I am, every week pressing "Post Reply." I really should make an effort to just comment on the action and scanner chatter.

I know I'm guilty of it. You'd think I would have learned by now when I go back and read the race thread on Monday or Tuesday and see things I said in the heat of the moment... Yet here I am, every week pressing "Post Reply." I really should make an effort to just comment on the action and scanner chatter.
Some complaining is normal and expected. But sometimes there are few that whines about the same things every weekend over and over non stop during the whole race and that can get a little annoying at times. But, I don't have to live with them and listen to it 24 hours a day...so I can handle it. :)

some of them convince themselves days before the race that it isn't going to be a good one and by gawd they can prove it. Last lap pass? teRriBle rAce, side by side racing? they aren't doing that fAsT enough. :laugh: Same B.S. every week, I usually don't play, but this week was ridiculous. It's an EXHIBITION race people, lighten up. Save the incessant whining for a real points paying race.

Chase Elliott has singlehandedly carried HMS for the last 4 years and won a championship, is the most popular driver and arguably the most marketable, but Kyle Larson has managed to undo all of that in half a season and take the reigns. Oh and he did it when HMS was way behind the curve, not the class of the field.

What the hell am I reading in this thread.
Lolol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

There is no question who the top dog at HMS is @ the moment. That's not a knock on Elliott, he's the defending champion. Statistically, he might be the fourth driver in that team. That's just how good HMS as a whole has been this year.

just wondering
If Hendrick was unable to bankroll Larson
would he have signed him
That is a good question, but one that none of us have anyway of knowing. But, I'm sure glad he did...and I imagine Hendrick is too. :)

I woudnt watch it if I was as miserable as some on here.
That's a stretch of stretches. If it was that insufferable, then we wouldn't tune in. Loyalty to s sport is a thing, as is the expression of grief of what I assume is the racing that got some of us interested in NASCAR. And id wager that's what some of us are expressing here.

You're complaining about complaining.

There is no question who the top dog at HMS is @ the moment. That's not a knock on Elliott, he's the defending champion. Statistically, he might be the fourth driver in that team. That's just how good HMS as a whole has been this year.
No statistically Elliot is clearly 2nd best. At times the 24 has shown more speed, but Chase has a win, is 3rd in the points, and has been just a bit better then Byron, imo

That's a stretch of stretches. If it was that insufferable, then we wouldn't tune in. Loyalty to s sport is a thing, as is the expression of grief of what I assume is the racing that got some of us interested in NASCAR. And id wager that's what some of us are expressing here.

I disagree. Some people are miserable with their lot in life and some of those like to spread their misery to others. Loyalty, I don't call it that, and the right to bitch about the same things every week is a form of insanity. The same ones every week. It's a way of life for some who take delight in being miserable. Comes with the territory around here. But the same whining that is said all year about a non points exhibition race? Save it for Pocono :biggrin:

I don't feel he is complaining as much as just shining the light on something that is very true and sometimes the truth isn't real pretty. The truth is, some people come here to discuss racing in a race thread and some people come here just to complain...and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which ones are which.

Last edited:
I understand where Spotter is coming from. I happen to believe it is some of the whiners intent to make others so miserable that they leave. We have one who honestly admitted he was trolling and would continue to do so. They got rid of a couple that were so blatant and disruptive that the rest of us couldn't talk racing without them trolling everything that was said. The race Cup thread isn't that far off from that IMO, the other two are pretty good. But it is the same cast of characters every weekend that shows up for the cup thread.

Im not complaining about anything. Simply stated why I dont participate anymore. Carry on

This has been fun and interesting this morning... but now the Buffet is calling my name so I have to go.🍗🍖🌭🍔🍟🍕🥪🥙🌮🌯🥗🥘🫕🥫🍝🍜🍲🥮🍦🥧🍰:dpepsi:

Last edited:
Im not complaining about anything. Simply stated why I dont participate anymore. Carry on
Great, you tell yourself that. At least we agree that it's not your problem, and out of your control. Thanks for sharing.

Lolol

Laugh all you want, the speaking in absolutes that you guys do around here providing all of the screenshot material is what's truly laughable.

Larson is on a hot streak with Elliott right in his tire tracks most weeks. That makes him the top dog after just half a season with the organization? That's just asinine.

If Blaney went out and rattled off 4 in a row for Penske is anyone in here gonna all the sudden jump to name him their ace? Hell no.

If Chase goes on a streak of his own, who's the top dog then? That's the foolery that you guys have all set yourselves up for now. Since, after all, all it takes is a few Ws right?

I don't feel he is complaining as much as just shining the light on something that is very true and sometimes the truth isn't real pretty. The truth is, some people come here to discuss racing in a race thread and some people come here just to complain...and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which ones are which.
I rarely read the entire thread, so admitidly I miss out on some of that.

I can only speak for myself, and I am pretty loud and clear with my dislike of the low horse power high downforce racing. That doesn't mean I'm miserable. That doesn't mean I'm not a fan. And that doesn't mean I'm here to make people's time here hell. I still tune in every week, and chose to express my frustration with the package when it hits in an online racing community that may have some like-minded people.

I would like to think that's the case with others as well, but maybe I'm wrong

Laugh all you want, the speaking in absolutes that you guys do around here providing all of the screenshot material is what's truly laughable.

Larson is on a hot streak with Elliott right in his tire tracks most weeks. That makes him the top dog after just half a season with the organization? That's just asinine.

If Blaney went out and rattled off 4 in a row for Penske is anyone in here gonna all the sudden jump to name him their ace? Hell no.

If Chase goes on a streak of his own, who's the top dog then? That's the foolery that you guys have all set yourselves up for now. Since, after all, all it takes is a few Ws right?
I've never said Larson is the top dog. I said he's the best talent on the team. Chase is #1 at HMS until Larson surpasses him in wins and wins a title.

Don't take it so personal.

Are people supposed to act as if they are enjoying it? Like, fans can’t complain? LOL
we have to like everything NASCAR does. Remember we are fans and cant voice our displeasure over anything. NASCAR officials could come to my house in the middle of the night, round up my family and bash their heads in with baseball bats Negan style and I would have to be okay with it. No griping......did you get the memo!

I understand where Spotter is coming from. I happen to believe it is some of the whiners intent to make others so miserable that they leave. We have one who honestly admitted he was trolling and would continue to do so. They got rid of a couple that were so blatant and disruptive that the rest of us couldn't talk racing without them trolling everything that was said. The race Cup thread isn't that far off from that IMO, the other two are pretty good. But it is the same cast of characters every weekend that shows up for the cup thread.
I thought the last year or so its been cleaned up from those trollers and complainers. I feel everyone does a good job during the race thread of talking racing, busting balls and just having a good time. Its almost like if we watched the race in a bar all together. Who are these people that are complaining each week, is it time to name names? Because the posters that didnt like yesterday's race, hate the aero/hp package have made that clear in the past without taking a thread over ( at least when Ive been on a race thread) and are generally good posters that bring something to the discussion. My view is this place would be pretty damn boring if everyone liked the same thing, I think its okay to sometimes not like the product we are seeing. I've complimented it in the past, as well as just come out say I hated it AND made fun of it too. I dont think that makes what you would call a death bedder, or overtly negative. I think all the overtly negative posters that had an ax to grind have all been weeded out. I would even venture to say we have a good group here right now.

Back
Top Bottom