Racing Back to the Line

Thanks for confirming my point guys, you can't sell brand rivalries when there is no brand loyalty. Maybe good for the consumer, probably not good for NASCAR, or other racing series for that matter. I for one, watched the crappy American LeMans Series for years for only one reason, to watch the Corvettes kick butt, the only GM powered cars in the series. If Corvette Racing had moved on, that's a whole series I wouldn't have watched.

One of the issues with the car make rivalry is the CONSUMER is just not brand loyal like they used to be. I'm a dinosaur on that front because I ONLY own GM cars and there aren't many like me today. My grandfather owned NOTHING but Buicks the last 50 years of his life. My dad is 75 and he has owned exactly one non-GM car, and that was a $200 work beater car. Now, a lot of the families I know now will have two or three different brands of cars in their driveway, and they just buy whatever strikes their fancy. I grew up when Ford VS Chevy was just as serious as the Yankees VS the Red Sox. It's taken a lot of the fun out of racing, but for better or worse, people seem to be a lot less tribal than they used to. I don't even think Packer's fans hate the Bears like they used to.

Tremendous post sir. I had always lamented the loss of manufacturer emphasis in NASCAR, but as you pointed out, this lack of loyalty is evident in all sports. Having said all of that, I am proud that I never owned anything but a Toyota. Ever.

Thanks for confirming my point guys, you can't sell brand rivalries when there is no brand loyalty. Maybe good for the consumer, probably not good for NASCAR, or other racing series for that matter. I for one, watched the crappy American LeMans Series for years for only one reason, to watch the Corvettes kick butt, the only GM powered cars in the series. If Corvette Racing had moved on, that's a whole series I wouldn't have watched.

...and I wonder.....some old school fans want the good old days back, but how can you get there when the manufacturer is less of the equation than it once was? The way racing is viewed has to change before an assessment of the quality of racing is discussed IMO.

Back
Top Bottom