Racing Forum Criteria For a Cup Driver

In a perfect world, NASCAR would have a similar system to what the FIA has for their Formula ladder. Whereas your promotion to the next license is dependent upon how many points you have at the current license level. A driver earns or loses points on their license by how they perform at the current level. Winning reces and championships will earn bonus points on your license. Poor finishes will result in losing points on your license.

Theoretically, in Macho Man's words, the creme will rise to the top.

In a perfect world, NASCAR would have a similar system to what the FIA has for their Formula ladder. Whereas your promotion to the next license is dependent upon how many points you have at the current license level. A driver earns or loses points on their license by how they perform at the current level. Winning reces and championships will earn bonus points on your license. Poor finishes will result in losing points on your license.

Sounds similar to the PGA's system for golf.

have they ever turn anyone down if they were over 18 ?on regular tracks.speedways they have some rules for super speedways.

I would say, be dominant or at least very successful in Truck and Xfin for at least a solid season in each series.
IMO, there are too many field fillers in Cup.

This is what NASCAR desperately needs. People like Quin Houff should never have been allowed near a Cup car.

Some of you don't read very well. Says RACING FORUM in the title. So it's this forums members opinions. Appears there would be about 15 Cup drivers if you only accept the dominant drivers from lower series. Ain't very many. Or maybe drill down on dominoes.

I mean, it’s hard to say honestly. You look at some people who done good in Cup, didn’t do much before getting there. Then you look at people who did great things in the lower series, and you would think they would be doing these things in Cup, but they didn’t. So honestly I’m not sure. I mean I think if you do decent enough, you at least deserve a shot.

If all you’re doing is wrecking in lower series, you probably don’t deserve a shot, but even then I’m sure a case could be made by using someone who crashed a lot and show they did amazing in the Cup Series.

So for me, I’ll say showing that you can finish a race at least should have you for consideration. Getting all you can out of a crappy car also should be something. If you’re getting top 5s and top 10 in a 20-25th place car, then that should be looked at a bit. Yeah it’s not wins, but if you can do that with a car that should not be finishing better than 20th, you’re probably pretty good, and to me is a better show of talent than someone who can knock off wins in a top quality ride. Now, if someone is winning in great cars, that should also be something that you look at

TLRD: Judge the driver off what they can do with the car they are given. Don’t base it off wins and championships only.

Science has proven these traits will help propel you quickly to the highest level.

1. Win a race or two on any national circuit
2. Have a great publicist
3. Bring money with at least one major sponsor
4. Become a social media darling
5. Be an attractive young female

Pretty sure there is a 365 page thread on this forum where we have already debated this topic.

Have the right guy with the right team see you perform at lower levels in SLM's or WOO at a high level and then recommend you to the owners.

Example: Mark Martin found Matt Kenseth for Rousch.

Or do it like Kyle Larson did it, kick ass in WOO and then go hunting a ride.

Or have a huge trust fund and buy your way in, IE: Gregson

Have the right guy with the right team see you perform at lower levels in SLM's or WOO at a high level and then recommend you to the owners.

Example: Mark Martin found Matt Kenseth for Rousch.

Or do it like Kyle Larson did it, kick ass in WOO and then go hunting a ride.

Or have a huge trust fund and buy your way in, IE: Gregson

Don't forget good ol' fashion nepotism!

The qualifications should include:

-at least 20 years of experience with driving a full body race car with fenders.
- Needs to be marketable under 25 years old.
- Needs to be all about being a specialized driving wheelman at finding the fast line on the track (even if the car is a ****box).
- Needs to be an expert on the chassis and set-ups, and know exactly what the car needs.
- Needs to be relentless and capable of pushing the car to the limt.
- Needs to be able to save the tires and finish races.
- Needs to be sensitive on social media and always have the right thing to say.
- We dont need a keyboard jockey, let your driving do your talking.
- A driver should be a people person, someone that is real with some personality and charisma.
- Needs to be aware of the latest cause and should always wear the appropriate "I care" ribbon.
- Don't be an ass clown attention whore.
- Needs to be a family man with wholesome values to attract sponsors.
- Needs to be a hip rock star personality that is a bad ass. Dont be boring.
-Avoid finished 2nd at all cost, even a 3rd is better than 2nd unless you want to be tagged as a choke artist.

There are probably a few other essentials that I will think of later on

Just keep in mind that nepotism or having a deep source of money doesn't automatically mean you are not qualified.

The qualifications should include:

-at least 20 years of experience with driving a full body race car with fenders.
- Needs to be marketable under 25 years old.
- Needs to be all about being a specialized driving wheelman at finding the fast line on the track (even if the car is a ****box).
- Needs to be an expert on the chassis and set-ups, and know exactly what the car needs.
- Needs to be relentless and capable of pushing the car to the limt.
- Needs to be able to save the tires and finish races.
- Needs to be sensitive on social media and always have the right thing to say.
- We dont need a keyboard jockey, let your driving do your talking.
- A driver should be a people person, someone that is real with some personality and charisma.
- Needs to be aware of the latest cause and should always wear the appropriate "I care" ribbon.
- Don't be an ass clown attention whore.
- Needs to be a family man with wholesome values to attract sponsors.
- Needs to be a hip rock star personality that is a bad ass. Dont be boring.
-Avoid finished 2nd at all cost, even a 3rd is better than 2nd unless you want to be tagged as a choke artist.

There are probably a few other essentials that I will think of later on
You missed walking on water and raising the dead.

Pretty simple - race with respect in the lower series.

To me everything else I thought of I could think of an exception to the rule.

Win a race - well the equipment they were in wasn't capable.

Win a race in a lower series in good equipment p- well we've had some stars that didn't do much in the lower series (JJ and Smoke)

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I would continue to do things as they are done now. I would hire the best possible driver that was also pleasing to the sponsors and money men. If I was a man of means I would hire the best possible driver and fund him with one of my company’s businesses which is the case in some instances today.

I would continue to do things as they are done now. I would hire the best possible driver that was also pleasing to the sponsors and money men. If I was a man of means I would hire the best possible driver and fund him with one of my company’s businesses which is the case in some instances today.
This and the MFGs scout for talent to bring in as development drivers. Most of that is done in the lower series like ARCA. Lots of ways drivers can make the series. Hendrick was talking about Byron who developed himself using a computer and Hendrick urged others that computers can be a pathway also. Retzlaff in the Xfinity series is another driver who made it using a computer and iRacing.

Deep deep left turns...

In the future, William Byron's journey of driver development with a simulator will become the legendary hardcore true grit story for generations to come.
Because the next batch of drivers to dominate the next generation will use an inverted method.

Some kid will bypass the conventional driver development steps and go directly into fielding his own A1 fan base. Millions of Bots dedicated to him only will come to see him race and he will attract Gozillions in sponsorship.

The codes and algorithms will adjust the racing requirements on the fly and while others will struggle,the world will know he is the GOAT.

Watch this.

Think about the pressure Danica, Hailie & the rest have to feel. They guys feel it too but the women...what a pressure cooker. It darned better pay really well.

Back
Top Bottom