Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

Hoo boy...Brad Sweet is going to finish the rest of the season in the #5 Nationwide Series car. First time he'll run more than three consecutive races with JRM.

Brad Keselowski@keselowski
My uncle in the original #88 “@Basso388: Happy 67th birthday to Ron Keselowski

BT8DwDsCQAA5tr1.jpg:large

In case any race fans in the Chicagoland area are looking for something to do Thursday afternoon, all of the Chase drivers will be making an appearance at Navy Pier in downtown Chicago.

http://contenderslive.nascar.com/tickets.aspx

Although it'll set you back $10 to get in the joint it just might be worth the price of admission.

Just tried to get some last minute tickets to the NASCAR Contenders Live event that's happening this afternoon but apparently it's sold out.

go figure . . .

Getting the camper ready for Loudon .More excited about the Modifieds tear assing around a mile track than the Cup guys. And the K&N East series is good too . Heading up early Wednesday morning and Mrs . Miler will arrive Friday.. I should be steady again by then :)

What short memories we have.

I was looking for a specific race where Dave Marcis brought up a caution to the benefit of Dale Earnhardt. Manually searching racing-reference was quickly tedious, so I googled around, and this news article from two years (almost to the day) ago came up:

Link: NASCAR Notebook: Incident puts focus on use of code words

JOLIET, ILL.— The suggestion that Richard Childress Racing might have asked Paul Menard to purposely spin out near the end of last week’s race at Richmond, Va., renewed a longtime practice of teams using code words over the radio to keep everyone else off guard.

Although Menard was 80 laps down to race leader Jeff Gordon, Menard’s team continually told him about the margin between Gordon and second-place Kevin Harvick. That was followed with an odd transmission over the radio between crew chief Richard “Slugger” Labbe and Menard about the engine’s voltage.

After Menard switched to a backup radio channel, he spun coming through the fourth turn to bring out a caution — and a restart between Gordon and Menard’s RCR teammate, Harvick.

Harvick won the re-start and the race. Gordon suggested the late caution was “fishy,” and NASCAR apparently agreed, announcing Friday from Chicagoland Speedway that it was investigating the radio chatter and late caution. However, the sanctioning body announced Saturday that it didn’t find any evidence the spin was done on purpose.

Team orders and code words are nothing new in racing, but usually they’re used to keep a car on the lead lap, not affect the outcome of a race.

[...]

Years ago, Dave Marcis was known for slowing down to bring out cautions to benefit his friend, Dale Earnhardt. The same went for Buddy Arrington and Richard Petty.

When asked if he’s ever purposely brought out a caution to help himself or a teammate, Ryan Newman laughed.

“That’s putting me on the spot,” he said. “But I will definitely say that when you’re having a bad day and the way this sport works with teammates, there are times when you think about it, and it’s never the right thing to do.”

What short memories we have.

Regarding the Menard spin at Richmond...
Not only was Menard being given updated on the 24 and 29, he twice asked if they wanted him to do something. Then they switched radio channels.
As a Gordon fan I will never forget it.

I guess the lesson to be learned from this whole story , is use coded communication and never admit what you did on National TV . Oh , and don't try it if you are driving a Toyota.

Getting the camper ready for Loudon .More excited about the Modifieds tear assing around a mile track than the Cup guys. And the K&N East series is good too . Heading up early Wednesday morning and Mrs . Miler will arrive Friday.. I should be steady again by then :)
I'm going Saturday too IM me and we will meet maybe?

When asked if he’s ever purposely brought out a caution to help himself or a teammate, Ryan Newman laughed.

“That’s putting me on the spot,” he said. “But I will definitely say that when you’re having a bad day and the way this sport works with teammates, there are times when you think about it, and it’s never the right thing to do.”
Ryan did that at Martinsville this year. He was going to have to pit under green so he stopped in turn 3, waited for the yellow, and got rolling again right afterwards. NASCAR penalized him three laps.

http://www.jayski.com/stats/2013/pdfs/06mar2013infractions.pdf

Ryan did that at Martinsville this year. He was going to have to pit under green so he stopped in turn 3, waited for the yellow, and got rolling again right afterwards. NASCAR penalized him three laps.

http://www.jayski.com/stats/2013/pdfs/06mar2013infractions.pdf
didn't he spin out or wreck or something and then he didn't move although he could have? It was kinda of a Daleish move, but I don't think he did it on purpose, it was after that when he got busted for not moving.

didn't he spin out or wreck or something and then he didn't move although he could have? It was kinda of a Daleish move, but I don't think he did it on purpose, it was after that when he got busted for not moving.
Incident starts around 7:10, Mike Joy explains it well:

Everybody's done it , and yes every time it affected the race in some teeny way . Trouble is , next time someone does it , will there be a $300,000.00 fine and 50 points ? I think not.

Back
Top Bottom