Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

I'll bet none of the sponsor companies have to pay for them.

My step-dad is somewhat of a 'big-wig' for a cable company.. He's been to Game 7 of the World Series, numerous Laker games, Angel games, hockey games, etc.... Never paid for a spot in a box ever.

Last edited:
uploadfromtaptalk1396491108643.jpg

My step-dad is somewhat of a 'big-wig' for a cable company.. He's been to Game 7 of the World Series, numerous laker games, Angel games, hockey games, etc.... Never paid for a spot in a box ever.
It's funny how the guys that could most easily afford the passes never have to pay for them :mad:

It's funny how the guys that could most easily afford the passes never have to pay for them :mad:

Yup, not gonna say I've never reaped the rewards, though.

However, I know in his case , if it wasn't free, he wouldn't go.. Nor can he actually afford what those seats cost. Haha

What will be the point of the All-Star race this year? It will be just like every other race, except much shorter and a win doesn't count towards the chase.

What will be the point of the All-Star race this year? It will be just like every other race, except much shorter and a win doesn't count towards the chase.

When has the all star race win counted for the chase?

They go for the million. That's what you race for.

I haven't seen wreckess abandon like they were racing for $1,000,000 in the "All-Star Race" since the Busch Brothers wrecked each other some years back. It just doesn't have the magic anymore IMO.

Another contributing factor might be the fact that 'special paint schemes' don't really exist anymore. Every week the car looks different anyway.

When has the all star race win counted for the chase?

They go for the million. That's what you race for.

A million doesn't mean much to the A list drivers anymore. You think Gordon, Earnhardt, Stewart or Johnson don't already have millions in the bank.....

A million doesn't mean much to the A list drivers anymore. You think Gordon, Earnhardt, Stewart or Johnson don't already have millions in the bank.....

Dont care if you have millions coming out of your butt. You never say no to free money.

The bonuses that go to team personnel after high-dollar wins alone should be reason enough for these drivers to put it all on the line, and leave it all on the track a couple races a year, IMO. Not to mention, checkers or wreckers racing seems a lot more fun of you can afford it(no points=dgaf)

The drivers have gotten lackadaisical when it comes to the All-Star race.

Last edited:
I've always had this crazy idea of NASCAR allowing the Engineers and Teams to build a totally insane car for the allstar race, kinda like a run what ya brung type of deal. Showcase what each organization can do, how creative they can get. Similar to how Evernham built the t-rex car for Gordon. And Charlotte would be the perfect place to showcase that.

I'll wake up now lol.

I've always had this crazy idea of NASCAR allowing the Engineers and Teams to build a totally insane car for the allstar race, kinda like a run what ya brung type of deal. Showcase what each organization can do, how creative they can get. Similar to how Evernham built the t-rex car for Gordon. And Charlotte would be the perfect place to showcase that.

I'll wake up now lol.
Good idea. That could be the real Sprint Unlimited.

I've always had this crazy idea of NASCAR allowing the Engineers and Teams to build a totally insane car for the allstar race, kinda like a run what ya brung type of deal.

I have this the nutty idea they should go to the local dealership and pickup actual, Honest to Big Bill Sr., current showroom makes and models and run those in the All-Star. You know, STOCK cars.

Why is it called an 'All-Star' race when we can see the same drivers competing against each other every other week of the schedule?

I have this the nutty idea they should go to the local dealership and pickup actual, Honest to Big Bill Sr., current showroom makes and models and run those in the All-Star. You know, STOCK cars.

Why is it called an 'All-Star' race when we can see the same drivers competing against each other every other week of the schedule?

That would be cool. Or better yet, take off the showroom cars and shove a 358 v8 in them.

Hey guys. There's typically three kinds of pit passes...Hot, Cold, and "Walk Through" (called different things at different tracks). Sometimes there are other passes depending on track/package, and sometimes only hot or cold. Hot passes are the hardest to come by, and most valuable. They allow you garage access and pit access whenever the garage and pits are open (so it's the same hours for you as it is a crew chief). Cold passes will only allow you garage access when there are no engines running (hence, hot & cold) but they will allow you pit access all race. The garage goes "hot" during practices, qualifying, and about 1-1.5 hours before green flags. When a garage is hot, you'll see flashing red lights at each entrance. Walk Through passes usually give you a designated time when you can stroll through the garage. Typically several hours before a race.

When you're in the garage with hot and cold passes, you can pretty much go wherever you want, within common sense logic. Most keep a respectable distance from the cars and haulers. Others just walk on up like they own the place. Sometimes, a team member will tell them to kindly move back a bit. Usually people don't go within the limits of the covered area of a hauler. When a driver is walking around the garage, they're fair game. By all means, go try and get an autograph. I recommend having a pen and item ready to go...and walking with them, keeping their pace. That way they never stop walking. Some are friendly and happy to sign, others not so much. More times than not, they're digesting info from a meeting...so if they don't say "hi" back, or they don't say "thanks" when you say good luck, it's because they're thinking.

As far as I know, hot and cold passes can only be acquired through NASCAR, or a team (through NASCAR). So if you see them for sale somewhere, be VERY careful. Every hot and cold pass should be registered with NASCAR, which means they'll have your drivers license on file, since every hot and cold pass should have been submitted through proper channels 10 days in advance. But I don't think I've ever seen a time where they actually called in a pass number to make sure it was on file. In fact, never. But most of the time they'll ask for your driver's license at the garage entrance to make sure it matches the name written on your pit pass (so if you ever scalp pit passes, make sure to write your name on it, and then write the number of a car where it says "team"...any car number, doesn't matter).

Each team has a certain allotment per race that they can buy. None of them are free, or "free to sponsors" - but they are usually baked into a sponsorship agreement. For example, last year when we did the Wonder Car for Furniture Row, Wonder got 10 hot passes as part of their deal. It's all pre-negotiated. They needed more after the fact, so we charged them more later, since the original were part of a line item. We need to submit names and driver's license numbers 10 days in advance of a race, or we'll have to pay a much higher price for names added closer to, or on race day.

How much are pit passes? Great question. I've heard many answers, depending on the size of the team, how many cars, if they race every week, how many they always need etc. Also, because so much varies on a team's relationship with the folks who work in the NASCAR credentials trailer. In other words...some people really take care of them, others don't, if you know what I mean. There is only ONE person per team who is allowed to get pit passes on race weekend. So...if I add someone to a list that morning...I have to find that guy in the garage, then drag his ass out to the trailer to pick me up a pass. I think as a rule, they're about $300 for hot, $150 for cold...or thereabouts. I could be wrong. And you can add about another $300 to each price if the passes are requested after the 10 day period. Or not, if you bought dinner for the credentials people the night before.

Walk Through passes (or, whatever a track calls some "other" thing) are typically controlled by the track, and can be mailed with tickets, or picked up in a suite, etc. They're not as closely monitored,,,but you're only really allowed in there for a short period. They're way more restrictive.

If you have a NASCAR license (it costs about $1500-$2000 per season) you can walk up to the credentials trailer of ANY track, whenever you want (could be on race day), and purchase a hot pass for $15. Also...a person's driver's license can only receive 5 pit passes before they're forced to buy a license. So, if a sponsor plans on attending 10 races, he or she will need to purchase a license.

I don't know what my hard card costs, since it's always issued through a team - but it's the cheapest rate, since I'm listed as "crew." If I had to guess, I'd be close saying $3,000.

Probably way too much information than you needed...but...KNOWLEDGE IS POWER...amirite! If you ever have any questions like this, please feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
(Also...Daytona 500 Hot & Cold pit passes do not cost teams/sponsors $2,000. Daytona pit passes cost the same as New Hampshire pit passes, which cost the same as Pocono pit passes, which cost the same as all pit passes.)

When I watch a race I don't think about anymore. Isn't that what we've always wanted? Go for wins and the points will take care of themselves.

I haven't seen wreckess abandon like they were racing for $1,000,000 in the "All-Star Race" since the Busch Brothers wrecked each other some years back. It just doesn't have the magic anymore IMO.

Another contributing factor might be the fact that 'special paint schemes' don't really exist anymore. Every week the car looks different anyway.

It will happen. It's a slow build. Patience.

Back
Top Bottom