Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

1984 Miller Time 300 at Charlotte - Tim Richmond puts the Hendrick Pontiac Grand Am on the pole. G.Bodine ST P2

B6D3AsuIIAAxzc4.jpg

@nascarcasm

Jimmie's resolution: Forget '14's disappointing 4-win season. Other drivers' resolutions: Have year as "disappointing" as Jimmie's.

@JimmieJohnson

Wishing everyone a healthy & successful 2015. Except the 42 I race against... I hope y'all have a healthy & some what successful year.

Here's a NASCAR scheduling question. In The Chase era, what would NASCAR do if a race were to be canceled because of a persistently adverse weather pattern or for other factors (as with the 1998 Pepsi 400 or the 2001 fall NH race)? In the olden days, NASCAR rescheduled to what would NOW be a Chase weekend. In NH's case, it was just attached to the end of the season.

Does France just pray that he never has to deal with that?

Here's a NASCAR scheduling question. In The Chase era, what would NASCAR do if a race were to be canceled because of a persistently adverse weather pattern or for other factors (as with the 1998 Pepsi 400 or the 2001 fall NH race)? In the olden days, NASCAR rescheduled to what would NOW be a Chase weekend. In NH's case, it was just attached to the end of the season.

Yet another reason there should be an open weekend between the end of the 'regular season' and before the Chase starts.

all the more reason for rain tires like everybody else does.:punkrocke

all the more reason for rain tires like everybody else does.:punkrocke

Rain tires will never work on ovals, stock cars don't have the down force to race on ovals in the rain. Well they could... at 80mph... But who wants that. Will be interesting to see if they need to use them on a RC this year however, not sure how it would turn out.

Rain tires will never work on ovals, stock cars don't have the down force to race on ovals in the rain. Well they could... at 80mph... But who wants that. Will be interesting to see if they need to use them on a RC this year however, not sure how it would turn out.

Yeah I forgot, there are some that still think the earth is flat

Whelen Euro series
14402963197_b23949f1b9_z.jpg

the first-ever NASCAR series oval race was contested under what was described as “torrential rain” at Tours Speedway in Tours, France.

matthias-lauda.jpg

Matthias Lauda drove this car to victory in the first oval race ever run in rain this past Sunday at Tours, France. (Photo courtesy NASCAR Whelen Euro Series

In case you don't know who he is, his father's name is Niki.

here is a clip...passing and everything, wipers, rain tires and rain, Oh my.

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.co...al-race-ran-under-rain-in-whelen-euro-series/

I want that, them uuurropeans do it all the time

Yeah I forgot, there are some that still think the earth is flat

Whelen Euro series
14402963197_b23949f1b9_z.jpg

the first-ever NASCAR series oval race was contested under what was described as “torrential rain” at Tours Speedway in Tours, France.

matthias-lauda.jpg

Matthias Lauda drove this car to victory in the first oval race ever run in rain this past Sunday at Tours, France. (Photo courtesy NASCAR Whelen Euro Series

In case you don't know who he is, his father's name is Niki.

here is a clip...passing and everything, wipers, rain tires and rain, Oh my.

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.co...al-race-ran-under-rain-in-whelen-euro-series/

That's a small flat track, it wouldn't be possible at a place like Bristol or Dover, Talladega, Daytona. Maybe Martinsville, Richmond, Phoenix, New Hampshire, but there is a line.

Also, those cars have 450hp vs 800 or so in Cup and only weigh 1100lbs compared to 3400lbs in Cup. The whole car would have to be modified. You simply can't run cup cars in the rain at high speeds and G forces, they don't have the down force.

That's a small flat track, it wouldn't be possible at a place like Bristol or Dover, Talladega, Daytona. Maybe Martinsville, Richmond, Phoenix, New Hampshire, but there is a line.

Also, those cars have 450hp vs 800 or so in Cup and only weigh 1100lbs compared to 3400lbs in Cup. The whole car would have to be modified. You simply can't run cup cars in the rain at high speeds and G forces, they don't have the down force.
[[sarcasm]]
Of course it would be possible at Bristol, Talladega, or Daytona. At Bristol, people complain when there's too much racing and not enough wrecking. Rain would certainly fix that 'problem'. Ditto the plate tracks, where people are just waiting for the 'Big One'; why wait?
[[/sarcasm]]

Seriously, has anyone tested rain tires on a Cup car on a banked oval? Even if they only work on the shorter flat tracks, that's still better than interminable delays or no race at all that weekend.

Sports cars are also much much lighter and have significantly less power, just like the Euro series.

Dang eropiens beat us agai

there is a thing they put on race cars called an accelerator pedal.:rolleyes:

So they slow down a bit, they have throttle pedals :rolleyes:

What started the 'rain tires' discussion (this time) was Nature Boy's question of, in this Chase era, what to do with races that must be postponed beyond their scheduled weekend (usually due to weather). Should NASCAR reschedule the race for the end of the season, making it the finishing race instead of Homestead?

The thought of Watkins Glen closing out the Chase must give Brian the heebie-jeebies. Rain tires? How about SNOW tires?

Call me a "fair weather fan" then. Personally, I don't want to sit out in the rain to watch cars on a wet track.
I agree with this. No way in heck I want to sit in the stands wearing a wet poncho watching a few laps in between cautions. I'd rather wait until the next clear day. Our race plans always include an extra day or two on the back side of a weekends race in case of a postponed event.

This subject of running in the rain made me want to go out to YouTube and check out racing in the rain @ Watkins Glen. I was surprised to see just how much excitement there could be.

What started the 'rain tires' discussion (this time) was Nature Boy's question of, in this Chase era, what to do with races that must be postponed beyond their scheduled weekend (usually due to weather). Should NASCAR reschedule the race for the end of the season, making it the finishing race instead of Homestead?

The thought of Watkins Glen closing out the Chase must give Brian the heebie-jeebies. Rain tires? How about SNOW tires?

There was a Busch Series race that got snow delayed in Bristol a few years back.

The big issue with just tacking on a race to the end of the year is the contract with Ford for "Ford Championship Weekend." I'm sure Ford would be PISSED if the final race of the year got moved to say.......Kansas.

Why the huge concern all of the sudden about weather and the Chase? I am too lazy to look it up but when was the last time that a race had to be moved to the end of the season due to weather being an issue on its scheduled weekend? Has it ever happened?

Last edited:
It's the offseason and there's nothing else to discuss.

And I can only think of twice when a whole race weekend was rescheduled, the 1998 Pepsi 400 and the 2001 fall NH race. Neither were due to weather though.

Call me a "fair weather fan" then. Personally, I don't want to sit out in the rain to watch cars on a wet track --- probably throwing up so much
spray you can't see them, anyway.
This ^^^^^
I agree with this. No way in heck I want to sit in the stands wearing a wet poncho watching a few laps in between cautions. I'd rather wait until the next clear day. Our race plans always include an extra day or two on the back side of a weekends race in case of a postponed event.
And This ^^^^^

We are getting closer people.....

2015 Budweiser Speedweeks schedule
Thursday, Feb. 12
4-6 p.m. ARCA practice

Friday, Feb. 13
9:30-10:30 a.m. ARCA practice
3:30 p.m. ARCA qualifying
5-5:55 p.m. Sprint Unlimited practice
6:30-7:25 p.m. Final Sprint Unlimited practice

Saturday, Feb. 14
10:30 a.m.-12:25 p.m. Sprint Cup practice
1:30-3:25 p.m. Sprint Cup practice
4:15 p.m. ARCA race
8:15 p.m. Sprint Unlimited race

Sunday, Feb. 15
1:30 p.m. Sprint Cup qualifying

Wednesday, Feb. 18
2-2:45 p.m. Sprint Cup practice
3:15-3:55 p.m. Sprint Cup practice

Thursday, Feb. 19
Noon-1:25 p.m. Sprint Cup practice
1:30-2:25 p.m. Truck series practice
3:30-4:55 p.m. Final Truck series practice
7 p.m. Duel 150-mile Sprint Cup qualifying races

Friday, Feb. 20
11 a.m.-12:25 p.m. Sprint Cup practice
12:30-1:55 p.m. Xfinity Series practice
2-3:25 p.m. Sprint Cup practice
3:30-4:25 p.m. Final Xfinity Series practice
4:45 p.m. Truck qualifying
7:30 p.m. Truck series race

Saturday, Feb. 21
10:30-11:55 a.m. Final Sprint Cup practice
12:15 p.m. Xfinity Series qualifying
3:30 p.m. Xfinity Series race

Sunday, Feb. 22
1 p.m. 2015 Daytona 500

We are getting closer people.....

2015 Budweiser Speedweeks schedule
Thursday, Feb. 12
4-6 p.m. ARCA practice

Friday, Feb. 13
9:30-10:30 a.m. ARCA practice
3:30 p.m. ARCA qualifying
5-5:55 p.m. Sprint Unlimited practice
6:30-7:25 p.m. Final Sprint Unlimited practice

Saturday, Feb. 14
10:30 a.m.-12:25 p.m. Sprint Cup practice
1:30-3:25 p.m. Sprint Cup practice
4:15 p.m. ARCA race
8:15 p.m. Sprint Unlimited race

Sunday, Feb. 15
1:30 p.m. Sprint Cup qualifying

Wednesday, Feb. 18
2-2:45 p.m. Sprint Cup practice
3:15-3:55 p.m. Sprint Cup practice

Thursday, Feb. 19
Noon-1:25 p.m. Sprint Cup practice
1:30-2:25 p.m. Truck series practice
3:30-4:55 p.m. Final Truck series practice
7 p.m. Duel 150-mile Sprint Cup qualifying races

Friday, Feb. 20
11 a.m.-12:25 p.m. Sprint Cup practice
12:30-1:55 p.m. Xfinity Series practice
2-3:25 p.m. Sprint Cup practice
3:30-4:25 p.m. Final Xfinity Series practice
4:45 p.m. Truck qualifying
7:30 p.m. Truck series race

Saturday, Feb. 21
10:30-11:55 a.m. Final Sprint Cup practice
12:15 p.m. Xfinity Series qualifying
3:30 p.m. Xfinity Series race

Sunday, Feb. 22
1 p.m. 2015 Daytona 500

Still not close enough though! I'm not really a Football fan, so I have no sport to follow right now! :(

Still not close enough though! I'm not really a Football fan, so I have no sport to follow right now! :(
Yet another reason that the elimination of pre-season testing @ Daytona sucks. The Rolex 24 will be soon though. That is another race that I look forward to knowing NASCAR immediately follows.

Here ya go @dpkimmel2001.

My Martinsville program will reward Martinsville Speedway's most loyal fans: Martinsville Speedway has announced a new fan-loyalty program that rewards ticket renewal customers with exclusive benefits and allows them to show off their pride in being one of Martinsville Speedway's most loyal fans. The advantages of becoming a My Martinsville member include:
" Exclusive My Martinsville membership hard-card and lanyard which is separate from the race ticket.
" Access to My Martinsville quick-entry gates.
" My Martinsville members event Saturday of race week which will include question and answer session with Martinsville Speedway President Clay Campbell and others to be announced. Live music and snacks included.
" Hot laps around Martinsville Speedway, dates TBA.
" Opportunity to win surprise gifts on race weekends when spotted wearing My Martinsville membership card.

Ticket customers who have already renewed their tickets for the STP 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup race on March 29 are automatically members of My Martinsville and will receive information in the coming days. For those who have not renewed their seats, the speedway is re-opening the STP 500 renewal price period for three days, January 7-9, to offer the opportunity to become My Martinsville members. You may take advantage of this offer by calling 877.RACE.TIX or visitingwww.martinsvillespeedway.com online.(Martinsville Speedway)(1-7-2015)

Here ya go @dpkimmel2001.

My Martinsville program will reward Martinsville Speedway's most loyal fans: Martinsville Speedway has announced a new fan-loyalty program that rewards ticket renewal customers with exclusive benefits and allows them to show off their pride in being one of Martinsville Speedway's most loyal fans. The advantages of becoming a My Martinsville member include:
" Exclusive My Martinsville membership hard-card and lanyard which is separate from the race ticket.
" Access to My Martinsville quick-entry gates.
" My Martinsville members event Saturday of race week which will include question and answer session with Martinsville Speedway President Clay Campbell and others to be announced. Live music and snacks included.
" Hot laps around Martinsville Speedway, dates TBA.
" Opportunity to win surprise gifts on race weekends when spotted wearing My Martinsville membership card.

Ticket customers who have already renewed their tickets for the STP 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup race on March 29 are automatically members of My Martinsville and will receive information in the coming days. For those who have not renewed their seats, the speedway is re-opening the STP 500 renewal price period for three days, January 7-9, to offer the opportunity to become My Martinsville members. You may take advantage of this offer by calling 877.RACE.TIX or visitingwww.martinsvillespeedway.com online.(Martinsville Speedway)(1-7-2015)
Yeah, I got that in my email from them. Plan on taking hot laps in my Jeep! :D Just joking. I do wonder though if those snacks include complimentary hot dogs.

We aren't going to get down there until Thursday this spring. The campground that we stay at doesn't open until then. It'll be a short race week for us. Probably just stay at the campground until Sunday

Yeah, I got that in my email from them. Plan on taking hot laps in my Jeep! :D Just joking. I do wonder though if those snacks include complimentary hot dogs.

We aren't going to get down there until Thursday this spring. The campground that we stay at doesn't open until then. It'll be a short race week for us. Probably just stay at the campground until Sunday
The first thought entering your mind being free hot dogs doesn't surprise me. :D
As you can tell by the Itinerary I sent you we've cut way back on the length of our stay's at the tracks. We travel too far through some very interesting places to spend too much time in any one place. Nowaday's for a Sunday race we try to get there on Friday's and leave on Monday's.

Yet another reason that the elimination of pre-season testing @ Daytona sucks. The Rolex 24 will be soon though. That is another race that I look forward to knowing NASCAR immediately follows.

Oh OH, wait, for the first time since iRacing made it debut in 2008, they'll actually be able to host an actual 24 hour race! :D They introduced Team racing in 2014, which means that a group of drivers can now race on iRacing for the entire 24 hour.

You can bet your sweet biddy that I'll be watching the real world Rolex 24 and the iRacing 24 Hours of Daytona. :D

Oh OH, wait, for the first time since iRacing made it debut in 2008, they'll actually be able to host an actual 24 hour race! :D They introduced Team racing in 2014, which means that a group of drivers can now race on iRacing for the entire 24 hour.

You can bet your sweet biddy that I'll be watching the real world Rolex 24 and the iRacing 24 Hours of Daytona. :D
I wish I had the disposable income to spend on iRacing. These days it's all about bills and saving for retirement. :(

Back
Top Bottom