Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

Probably 1970 for me? Had a cousin that was really good at this stuff. Detailed/painted everything. I didn't have his patience. Wanted it done. Guess i was working flat-rate at 12 years old...
I had a cousin who made spark plug wires and battery cables out of black thread. I was good, but not THAT obsessed / retentive.

Used fine copper wire stripped of insulation ‘n unwound for plug wires.

If one glued the wheels so they wouldn’t roll, brake lines could be added.

A trip to a hobby shop for AMT accessories, that couldn’t be had from the drug store, with $5.00 in your pocket, was an occasion to be remembered. Think I still have a 1/25 scale chrome floor jack in the attic somewhere.

‘N if the grown up took ya by Doumar’s for a cone ‘n a limeaide before ya went home: it just didn’t get any better.

Last edited:
Gosh, I haven't bought a tube of glue or bottle of Testors in decades. 1978, to be exact. A Monogram F-16, to be exact.
I've probably assembled more than 200 models in my life.... back in the sixties they were 50 cents apiece...... I'd usually get 2 a week.... (If I had a dollar).... I always preferred AMT.....I always thought they were better than Monogram.... the detail was better.

The last one I assembled was in 1989..... we made a major move in '90 and the wife pitched all of 'em because we didn't have room. After the move I started buying them again...... never assembled any more... they are still in the boxes unopened.... Mark Martin cars... Earnhardt, Petty, Allison, Jimmy Spencer, Hut Stricklin....

Guess who's going to perform at the Coke 600 while we're there this year.

It's a shame it's not the old Skynyrd from '76.....

I sure do miss them.....

I've seen them a couple times since the accident and they put on a great show...... but... one of my favorite songs was Curtis Lowe....the dobro was what made that song.... they didn't use it.... just slide guitar.... which is great...... but... the dobro was much better....

It's a shame it's not the old Skynyrd from '76.....
I sure do miss them.....
I've seen them a couple times since the accident and they put on a great show...... but... one of my favorite songs was Curtis Lowe....the dobro was what made that song.... they didn't use it.... just slide guitar.... which is great...... but... the dobro was much better....
That plane running out of fuel was idiocy at it's finest. We lost a helluva group that day.

His name is Thad Moffitt (#46 Petty blue car) and his parents are Brian Moffitt and Rebecca Petty.

This is sad news --- I have several original lithos of his.

Sam Bass‏Verified account @sambassartist
Thanks for your thoughts & prayers! I'm starting dialysis & need a kidney transplant ASAP due to life long diabetic struggles-more info soon
Yes it is. I hope they find one for him and he gets better.

I have 3 originals from way back and a few signed posters also.

Maybe he can arrange to have Prilosec mentioned in the prayer :rolleyes:

The commander has to say exactly four words. As long as he or she gets that right, I don't care who they are (or even if this bit of ceremony went away entirely).

The only way to be memorable is to screw it up. The easiest way to do that is to make too much of it. Do it right, no one remembers you; do it wrong and you earn disdain and disgust. It's a no-win job.

Things we don't see anymore...
81140013.JPG
81140014.JPG
R1003.JPG

I'm not sure what made me think of this race today, but it randomly popped into my head. Sure enough, I was able to find it on youtube. I was a huge Jason Keller fan and he rarely ever won. I was so bummed he couldn't hang on...

I'm not sure what made me think of this race today, but it randomly popped into my head. Sure enough, I was able to find it on youtube. I was a huge Jason Keller fan and he rarely ever won. I was so bummed he couldn't hang on...

Good ol' Butt Chin. I miss the days when the lower tier had its own stable of skilled, competitive drivers not looking to move to Cup.

I was looking for some stuff on the net the other night, and one of my search results said "Two Dollar NASCAR, and F1 Cars." My curiosity got the best of me, and this is what I found.

Two Dollar NASCAR Car.jpg
Two Dollar F1 car.jpg

I don't know how they did it, but that's impressive. Both of them are made from two one dollar bills.

Back
Top Bottom