Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

Kinda disappointed that Charlotte did that. I was there last year when the race got pushed because of the hurricane and was really looking forward to it being at night. I'm one of those that really enjoys the night time events, especially if I'm attending live. Makes for a full day and doesn't feel as rushed as the 1/2pm start times do.
Let me know all about it if you reach 73 years old like me. :p

Let me know all about it if you reach 73 years old like me. :p

I am there and am looking for the golden days. Just had a knee replacement and need the other done as well. I want to look good when they lay me out. :sarcasm:

Looks like Marcus Smith got word of the NFL schedule a little early... Panthers are scheduled away that week.

Oh, and looks like Texas conflicts with the Cowboys, so luckily that just so happened to be moved to NBCSN....

Conflicts with NFL home games during the playoffs are Loudon (Patriots), Talledega (Atlanta) and Texas (Cowboys).

Oh, and looks like Texas conflicts with the Cowboys, so luckily that just so happened to be moved to NBCSN....

Conflicts with NFL home games during the playoffs are Loudon (Patriots), Talledega (Atlanta) and Texas (Cowboys).
Ravens have a home game the day of the Dover race as well. Coulda been worse though.

From Pockrass...

The NFL schedule is fairly kind to the NASCAR Cup playoff schedule with the only in-city conflict coming Nov. 5 when the Cowboys are home the same day as the race at Texas. The playoff races at Chicagoland and Charlotte have the local NFL teams on the road while the races at Kansas, Phoenix and Homestead have the local NFL teams not playing that day. Three other playoff races will have NFL teams playing at home in markets those tracks draw from: New Hampshire (Patriots are home), Dover (Ravens) and Talladega (Falcons).

So this is what's taking the place of all those turn 4 grandstands Charlotte just removed:

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/sto...dway-building-a-solar-powered-sun-deck-042117

The 42,000-square foot deck will include “a wide range of entertainment option$ from luxury motorhome camp$ites to cabana package$ for $mall group$,” as well as “food and beverage $ervice, re$troom facilitie$, picnic and high-top table$ and a wide concour$e with room for live music act$, corn hole and other entertainment,”

So this is what's taking the place of all those turn 4 grandstands Charlotte just removed:

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/sto...dway-building-a-solar-powered-sun-deck-042117

The 42,000-square foot deck will include “a wide range of entertainment option$ from luxury motorhome camp$ites to cabana package$ for $mall group$,” as well as “food and beverage $ervice, re$troom facilitie$, picnic and high-top table$ and a wide concour$e with room for live music act$, corn hole and other entertainment,”
You have to give Bruton credit for trying to satisfy the desires of those well-heeled casual fans and their corporate brethren who attend the race for the event nature of it and want to enjoy themselves by spending money and time doing everything but watching the race. The race just serves as a background for their selfies and justifies a reason for being at the "party" event.

This is the same type of mentality that has infiltrated all sports from the luxury boxes and club seats of NFL, NBA, NHL stadiums and arenas and the numerous plazas and standing room areas in new MLB parks. It raises revenue for the owners but prices out the middle class die-hard fans who built the sports to what they are today and who are there for the main event itself.

Y
This is the same type of mentality that has infiltrated all sports from the luxury boxes and club seats of NFL, NBA, NHL stadiums and arenas and the numerous plazas and standing room areas in new MLB parks. It raises revenue for the owners but prices out the middle class die-hard fans who built the sports to what they are today and who are there for the main event itself.

How does it do that?

Ticket prices in the stands for NHL games here don't seem to be affected by the boxes and the people who inhabit them.

You have to give Bruton credit for trying to satisfy the desires of those well-heeled casual fans and their corporate brethren who attend the race for the event nature of it and want to enjoy themselves by spending money and time doing everything but watching the race. The race just serves as a background for their selfies and justifies a reason for being at the "party" event.

I was with you until the last sentence.

How does it do that?

Ticket prices in the stands for NHL games here don't seem to be affected by the boxes and the people who inhabit them.

Of course they are, it's just not readily apparent. It's especially true for arenas and other fully enclosed structures where you can't just build up or out to expand. When those rich people rent suites and boxes for higher and higher rates, it makes those types of amenities more attractive to the building owner to build and operate. Thus, they rip out general seating and replace it with luxury amenities. Less supply of that formerly affordable seating=higher prices for the regular folks. Or at the very least, if you have declining demand (as with NASCAR) you can keep prices the same through artificial scarcity. Don't be a fool, more money from luxury boxes isn't going to help subsidize general ticket prices. SMI doesn't give one **** about those fans and neither does any sports team. Hence they'd rather rip out grandstands.

This has played out for decades now as teams have replaced old stadiums and arenas with new, with less general seating at a higher price. You can blame Detroit's palace at auburn hills for really kicking off that trend for arenas specifically:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Palace_of_Auburn_Hills#Facility_information
The Palace is widely considered to be the first of the modern-style NBA arenas, and its large number of luxury suites was a major reason for the building boom of new NBA arenas in the 1990s. Although the Palace is now one of the oldest arenas in the NBA, its foresighted design contains the amenities that most NBA teams have sought in new arenas built since that time. By contrast, of the other NBA venues that opened in 1988-89, Amway Arena, Charlotte Coliseum, and Miami Arena have been demolished, while the Bradley Center and Sleep Train Arena are either slated for replacement or already replaced but standing. All of these arenas were rendered obsolete by the lack of luxury suites and club seating, lucrative revenue-generating features that made pro sports teams financially successful in order to remain competitive long-term, and also being located in suburban rather than downtown areas (The Palace, however, has remained one of the successful suburban arenas).[1][22][23][24]

Hey, at least us taxpayers don't have to regularly throw money at ISC and SMI to finance their projects.

^ Sorry ... ticket prices here have gone down and continue to do so.

The team is losing ... it's a different sport and supply / demand actually comes into play.

Of course they are, it's just not readily apparent. It's especially true for arenas and other fully enclosed structures where you can't just build up or out to expand. When those rich people rent suites and boxes for higher and higher rates, it makes those types of amenities more attractive to the building owner to build and operate. Thus, they rip out general seating and replace it with luxury amenities. Less supply of that formerly affordable seating=higher prices for the regular folks. Or at the very least, if you have declining demand (as with NASCAR) you can keep prices the same through artificial scarcity. Don't be a fool, more money from luxury boxes isn't going to help subsidize general ticket prices. SMI doesn't give one sh!t about those fans and neither does any sports team. Hence they'd rather rip out grandstands.

This has played out for decades now as teams have replaced old stadiums and arenas with new, with less general seating at a higher price. You can blame Detroit's palace at auburn hills for really kicking off that trend for arenas specifically:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Palace_of_Auburn_Hills#Facility_information

Hey, at least us taxpayers don't have to regularly throw money at ISC and SMI to finance their projects.
If I'm not mistaken, The France family or ISC did attempt to get Florida and/or the county to put up some money towards Daytona Rising but I believe they received the cold shoulder and they should have. Maybe someone with a better memory can comment or provide a link. I'm too lazy tonight.

Some folks on Reddit designed shorter tracks(.8 miles for atl and 1 mile exactly for chi) out of existing Atlanta and Chicagoland layouts without changing a whole lot. Nice food for thought.

View attachment 26150 View attachment 26151

Don't mind the Chicago one. I think with all the 1.5 milers, Kansas not really changing it's layout, Chicago should do something to stand out, leave the curved backstretch as well.

Some Watkins Glen updates: http://www.stargazette.com/story/sp...ersation-with-printup-watkins-glen/100448310/

I would explicitly say it was the tire manufacturer last year. We know that. They came in with the thought of even though they tire tested prior to the Cup race last year in August, they brought the same hard compound that they use on any other repave to avoid wear. The drivers I spoke to specifically about the tires said it was all the tires. That was the only series that didn’t have a lap record-breaking speed here. So it wasn’t the cars, it wasn’t the teams, it was truly the tires. They didn’t provide enough grip, they left it too hard for a brand new surface and the tire manufacturer made a mistake.

I hope they live and learn that the next time something like that happens at a road course, there’s a little bit more effort put into the quality of racing. When you had the only series that doesn’t break a record while every other series that came here was breaking records because of the quality of the racetrack, that was a shame. I think going into this year, I know the tire manufacturer has made some changes. I know during IMSA, Continental Tire fully changed up their programs up there and it showed in that whole weekend. So we know Goodyear will make those changes and there will be a little bit more grip in those tires this year.

NASCAR, I wish we had better news and we could announce an entitlement partner. As you know, Cheez-It pulled out in October, November last year. Great sponsor. Kellogg’s did a great thing (as our sponsor). They had a change at the top in some of their management and they moved their dollars to Major League Baseball. They pulled a lot of money from their racing program. That happens in this world. When sponsors change, a lot of it comes from a CMO level, a VP level or a president level. We got caught up in that. … We’re still looking. We’re down to about two companies we are talking to seriously. We would have hoped we would have closed it by now, but we haven’t.

Our strategic plan, we revise that every year. The comptroller and I have our meeting about it tomorrow morning, to be honest. You probably noticed the party deck at the front entrance coming in. It’s completed. We’ll be opening it up for NASCAR this year. That was a $150,000 investment over there. Instead of creating grandstands, we’re going to continue creating those. We have another one going in over at Turn 11 and we’re putting another extension onto our Glen Club – a party deck itself just to the Glen Club. Just more expansion.

Instead of popping up grandstands and getting overzealous like back in the '90s with this entire sport, particularly because of the road course opportunity we reverted to these party decks. We feel we have a strong value being trackside. You can see multiple corners where you’ll have big screens and TVs in front of you, so it’s not like you miss any of the action on top of it. The big crystal ball in the 10-year strategic plan would say we want new garages, we want some more amenities, we want more concession stands. There’s a lot of things that are millions and millions of dollars. Obviously that pavement was important. That was $11 million, so it did take a chunk away from the master plan, I’ll call it. A new fan area also in the infield is what we’re looking at over the next five to seven years.

VVGNYe_RN2VK7n-KD0Ljo817bjH8nZwsFOi-3ah5pKY.jpg

Do you work at SHR? If not, how would you know?
This is what the announcement will be
"Danica will pilot this #10 Wonder Woman / One Cure Ford Fusion at Kansas as well as the Monster Energy Open at Charlotte."
i_zpscifuqbiz.jpg

:wacko::huh::idunno:

Interesting
This must be why...

Austin Dillon will miss 30 minutes of practice as well as lose pit selection and start at the rear this weekend at Richmond for his car failing prerace measurements five times last week at Bristol. RCR has decided to keep crew chief Slugger Labbe in the shop this weekend. RCR operations director Sammy Johns will replace him.

From Pockrass.

Back
Top Bottom