Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

In my opinion the low ratings indicate that even Road America, Mid-Ohio, Montreal, and Eldora do not work.
Remember Xfinity , when under Busch logo , used to be one of the big 3 channels.
Road America on NBC last year had the second-highest Xfinity TV viewership of the season, behind the season opener at Daytona.

Eldora has routinely been one the most-watched Truck races - even after being moved off of FS1 to FBN last year.

Can't say they're not trying.

IMS to host USAC dirt race to kick off Sept. NASCAR weekend
https://racer.com/2018/06/19/ims-to-host-usac-dirt-race-to-kick-off-sept-nascar-weekend/
Interesting article. A couple of things caught my eye.

One was that IMS doesn't intend for this to be a regular thing. I'm not sure why they wouldn't want to run it on a yearly basis. Why draw in USAC fans for a one-time event? Why schedule it in conjunction with the Cup weekend? Do they expect there to be enough overlap between the audiences to generate some ticket-selling synergy? (I apologize for the use of the business-speak 'S' word.)

The other thing that got my attention was toward the end. 50K is all the Cup races have been drawing in the last few years? I know the majority of the track's income is from the TV rights. I just wonder if operating the grandstands is a losing proposition, if they might save money by running the race without selling tickets. Just a random thought; I have no clue how much it costs to accommodate the live audience.

Interesting article. A couple of things caught my eye.

One was that IMS doesn't intend for this to be a regular thing. I'm not sure why they wouldn't want to run it on a yearly basis. Why draw in USAC fans for a one-time event? Why schedule it in conjunction with the Cup weekend? Do they expect there to be enough overlap between the audiences to generate some ticket-selling synergy? (I apologize for the use of the business-speak 'S' word.)

The other thing that got my attention was toward the end. 50K is all the Cup races have been drawing in the last few years? I know the majority of the track's income is from the TV rights. I just wonder if operating the grandstands is a losing proposition, if they might save money by running the race without selling tickets. Just a random thought; I have no clue how much it costs to accommodate the live audience.
They don't mean for it to be a weekly track. If it's a success they'll probably do it every year. IMS obviously has a long legacy relating to USAC so it's probably worth trying to see if it'll bring some people back and give at least a little shot in the arm to the event.

Selling tickets is still very important to the Speedway, but I imagine they'll eventually close off several sections of stands to reduce costs.

https://www.ibj.com/blogs/4-the-sco...t-margin-getting-perilously-thin-for-speedway

Why schedule it in conjunction with the Cup weekend? Do they expect there to be enough overlap between the audiences to generate some ticket-selling synergy? (I apologize for the use of the business-speak 'S' word.

They do that with a few cup events. This year Las Vegas and Charlotte had WoO sprints run at the dirt track on their property during cup week. I think Texas had a 360 sprint car race during cup weekend this year as well. There might not be a ton of crossover between NASCAR and sprint car fans, but i'm sure there are some people looking for something to do in the evening that will go. A lot of people camp on the track property, i'd imagine quite a few would come over as well. Of course the sprint car fans that aren't interested in NASCAR will come watch the race too, so it doesn't really hurt anything to run it cup weekend.

For some reason I thought this would be an all-time list, not just active 2018 drivers. I wanted to see where Ron Hornaday came in.

couldn't figure it out by reading the article? It says this year or this season the first pic.
Yep, but I had expectations before I clicked the link, and it doesn't say anything about all-time or this year. I was expecting shrimp, I got crab; no problem.

I respond to people who state that NASCAR is only about driving in circles by saying "Basketball is just a bunch of really tall guys throwing a ball into a hoop, MMA is just two guys killing each other, and that football is a bunch of huge guys crashing into each other, see every sport sounds stupid when you grossly oversimplify them, like that."

I respond to people who state that NASCAR is only about driving in circles by saying "Basketball is just a bunch of really tall guys throwing a ball into a hoop, MMA is just two guys killing each other, and that football is a bunch of huge guys crashing into each other, see every sport sounds stupid when you grossly oversimplify them, like that."
"Young girl travels to strange land, kills old woman, teams with three bizarre strangers to kill again."

Plot synopsis for 'Wizard of Oz'.

Their view is that those other sports require direct physical contact in a man vs. man setting. And that is essentially their own definition of "sport'. I have had this argument with my friends many times, because they always like to make fun of NASCAR and completely over-exaggerate the stereotypes. I've learned that there is no changing their opinion. I know why NASCAR is a sport, if you're too dense and simple minded to attempt to understand why then that's not my problem.

I will say I took one of those friends to his first race this past February for The Clash, and it completely opened his eyes. I took him down by the fence during 500 qualifying so he could get a full sense for it all and he was blown away (almost literally).

I have always said that if you can get them there in person, they may not fall in love with it, and that's fine...but they will damn sure at the very least hold a new respect for it afterwards.

There is little legal hope to stop NASCAR cheating because the owners are largely rich and do not need to sue.

The best thing about Fox's NASCAR coverage ending until Speedweeks 2019, is no more having to hear Michael Waltrip blabber on for 4 hours until February, Rick Allen may be annoying, but I can tolerate him, I can't stand Mikey.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The best thing about Fox's NASCAR coverage ending until Speedweeks 2019, is no more having to hear Michael Waltrip blabber on for 4 hours until February, Rick Allen may be annoying, but I can tolerate him, I can't stand Mikey.

I disagree - the best part for me is not having to mute the start of every race to keep from hearing his idiot brother shout his ridiculous catch phrase at the drop of the green.

I disagree - the best part for me is not having to mute the start of every race to keep from hearing his idiot brother shout his ridiculous catch phrase at the drop of the green.
I feel strongly both ways. :D

Don't they still have the trucks though?

You can really have close racing if you reduce the lap count to 50 and max speed at 50- mph. This can be said because cars are much much closer going red light to red light in American cities then on the racetrack.

With recent rumors going around, will Toyota race the Supra in NASCAR and what version of the Mustang will Ford race? – JP

To put a new model on the track for the ’19 Daytona 500, as Ford is doing with the Mustang, would require a new body submission request from Toyota by Sept. of 2017 and to my knowledge no such request was made. They would have until Sept. 1 of this season to submit a request for a body change in time for the 2020 Daytona 500.
https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/nascar-mailbag-toyota-edwards-dodge-1052409/

With recent rumors going around, will Toyota race the Supra in NASCAR and what version of the Mustang will Ford race? – JP

To put a new model on the track for the ’19 Daytona 500, as Ford is doing with the Mustang, would require a new body submission request from Toyota by Sept. of 2017 and to my knowledge no such request was made. They would have until Sept. 1 of this season to submit a request for a body change in time for the 2020 Daytona 500.
https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/nascar-mailbag-toyota-edwards-dodge-1052409/
Never mind that.

Dodge didn't submit a request at all and they'll be at Daytona in February. I read that here on numerous occasions.

Back
Top Bottom