Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

A good friend sent this to me. Oh, gee, the memories. This was back in the early 70s when my husband and his brother were helping build and maintain the late model. It started out with Billy Griswold driving --- he raced with AJ Foyt back in the 50s at the old Playland Park track in Houston. His son, Jimmy, took over the driving duties. 4 years the number 7 took the championship in class.
I'm holding the trophy -- my husband is to my left. The guy down front on the left end is my husband's older brother. The driver is in the ball cap down front.
My MIL is to my right.
41707471_2055106291168738_5446337084757377024_n.jpg

PS --- ate a TON of dirt, too. Sat in the stands the first 2 years because they wouldn't let ladies in the pits. Last 2 years we raced, I was in the pits--- cleaning out the radiators, the seat, and putting tear-offs on the driver's helmet.
And, yes, I said "radiators", plural. We ran 3 -- one in the front, one right under the wing, and one down behind the driver.

Last edited:
A good friend sent this to me. Oh, gee, the memories. This was back in the early 70s when my husband and his brother were helping build and maintain the late model. It started out with Billy Griswold driving --- he raced with AJ Foyt back in the 50s at the old Playland Park track in Houston. His son, Jimmy, took over the driving duties. 4 years the number 7 took the championship in class.
I'm holding the trophy -- my husband is to my left. The guy down front on the left end is my husband's older brother. The driver is in the ball cap down front.
My MIL is to my right.
41707471_2055106291168738_5446337084757377024_n.jpg

PS --- ate a TON of dirt, too. Sat in the stands the first 2 years because they wouldn't let ladies in the pits. Last 2 years we raced, I was in the pits--- cleaning out the radiators, the seat, and putting tear-offs on the driver's helmet.
And, yes, I said "radiators", plural. We ran 3 -- one in the front, one right under the wing, and one down behind the driver.
I see a guy on the right of the women holding the trophy, however I have heard of women being referred to as the husband. :nyanya:

Canadian TV "The Sports Network" has the rights to show Nascar in Canada.
4 channels showing the same game and the other on some mickey mouse show.
NO Qualifying. :owquitit::owquitit::owquitit::owquitit::owquitit::owquitit::owquitit::owquitit::owquitit::mad:

Canadian TV "The Sports Network" has the rights to show Nascar in Canada.
4 channels showing the same game and the other on some mickey mouse show.
NO Qualifying. :owquitit::owquitit::owquitit::owquitit::owquitit::owquitit::owquitit::owquitit::owquitit::mad:

Same thing every year, TSN is the worst. They charge for five channels and do like last night and put 4 identical shows on

I do get to see Most xfinity and cup races, they don't show any truck though.
I am considering giving up Nascar, eating and drinking.

14 years ago, Martin Truex first cup race, subbing for JR. Fire still looks as scary as the first time I seen it.

Reactions: Pat
Any of this sound familiar?

Busch, Harvick, Truex trio inspiring memories of 1974 triple threat
The 1974 NASCAR Winston Cup Series season had 30 races. All but three of those races were won by three drivers. Petty won 10. Cale Yarborough won 10. David Pearson won seven. The remaining three events were divided among two other drivers, Bobby Allison with two wins and Earl Ross with his only career win. More on that later.

"Let me tell you about the good ol' days," Richard Petty recently said in response to midsummer complaining about the NASCAR haves having too much. "These days, every year we have at least 10 winners. Ten. Back in my day if we'd had 10 winners, that's when people would've been asking what was wrong. These three guys this year, they know who they have to beat. It's those other two guys. Back in the day, that's how it always was."

Five of the trio's wins came by one lap or more, with one of Petty's victories coming by two laps, at North Wilkesboro in April. When they had company on the lead lap, it was familiar. On 10 different occasions, the only cars to finish on the lead lap were some combination of Yarborough, Petty or Pearson. Riverside was one of three races where they were the only three on the lead lap.

"Those three teams had the best equipment, the most money and three of the best drivers," recalled Allison

NASCAR founder Bill France announced he was shortening races, including the Daytona 500, while his son, still-new NASCAR president Bill France Jr., rolled out his latest brainchild, a new championship points format. It was the second new system in as many years and fourth in eight seasons.

It immediately drew public bemoaning from fans and drivers alike, all of whom said it was too complicated and rigged to reward the bigger teams over the little guys. There was also a slew of new tech rules unveiled throughout the season, including a push to small-block engines that forced smaller teams to shut down and bigger teams to gripe about costs and increasingly frustrating weekend inspection procedures.

Meanwhile, even with Yarborough in the midst of contending for a title, (Junior) Johnson was struggling to find full sponsorship and admitting he might have to walk away because "I can't just keep pumping my own money into this thing."

"I say this all the time, whether anybody wants to hear me or not," Petty explains now. "There's nothing we're going through here that we hadn't already been through before at some point. Whether it's too little money to go around or too many changes all at once, or too few guys winning races."

"There is so much about the sport today that is so different," Allison said. "But there's also a lot of about back then that wasn't as great as people want to say, that sure isn't as great as it is now.

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/s...borough-david-pearson-bobby-allison-earl-ross

Kyle Busch offered to be in the booth this Friday's Xfinity race, NBC said no.

It's not that I don't necessarily trust Kyle Busch. I do know there are always at least two sides to every story.

Because NBC already employs 57 on-air announcers, maybe it was hard to fit another guest into the plans for this race. Maybe NBC believes there is a unique opportunity with Junior in the race and wants the focus on that. Maybe it was a timing issue and details were already set when Busch reached out. Who knows, but his presence or lack thereof won't affect how much of the race I watch.

It's not that I don't necessarily trust Kyle Busch. I do know there are always at least two sides to every story.

Because NBC already employs 57 on-air announcers, maybe it was hard to fit another guest into the plans for this race. Maybe NBC believes there is a unique opportunity with Junior in the race and wants the focus on that. Maybe it was a timing issue and details were already set when Busch reached out. Who knows, but his presence or lack thereof won't affect how much of the race I watch.
My guess why NBC turned him down, because Jr is in the race, it kind of makes sense in some ways.

Man serious basement envy

You guys remember when Jayski was the place to go to find out the new rumors and all and anything NASCAR information.

I used to go there all the time literally all the time... no I don't even bother except for maybe once in awhile.

For almost 20 years, Jayski was my first stop the minute I turned my computer on. Jayski officially died the day it was rolled into the ESPN website world. The format is awful, an average 8 year old computer nerd could do much better, and the content seems to be completely lacking. I go there for practice and qualifying results, and basically nothing else. I can get all of the latest news and rumors here, faster, and often from multiple sources.

For almost 20 years, Jayski was my first stop the minute I turned my computer on. Jayski officially died the day it was rolled into the ESPN website world. The format is awful, an average 8 year old computer nerd could do much better, and the content seems to be completely lacking. I go there for practice and qualifying results, and basically nothing else. I can get all of the latest news and rumors here, faster, and often from multiple sources.
Same here. I MAY visit once a month or so.

Back
Top Bottom