Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

With Newman most likely not racing for at least a few weeks, who is the top choice to replace him until he returns? Menard? Earnhardt Jr? Kenseth? Some young gun?
Cendric or Briscoe are in the Ford camp/ Could be one of them. I don't know about a few weeks length yet, I'm sure that will be forthcoming when he thinks he will be coming back. Like Almirola they took him out slow probably not knowing if there was spinal damage or something of the like. He could be just scraped and bruised. If he is concussed, it will be a few weeks I bet.

I think it will depend on how long he will be out, serious injuries leads a lot of room for speculation.

I think it will depend on how long he will be out, serious injuries leads a lot of room for speculation.
Initial reports said critical condition and were then reduced to serious. I do not ever recall a driver racing within a couple months of being in serious condition, but Newman is the one driver who could. We probably won't know until the end of the week

Initial reports said critical condition and were then reduced to serious. I do not ever recall a driver racing within a couple months of being in serious condition, but Newman is the one driver who could. We probably won't know until the end of the week
initial reports? from where?

yeah as they say more will be revealed in the days to come he isn't out of the woods yet.

Serious: Vital signs may be unstable and not within normal limits. Patient is acutely ill. Indicators are questionable.

Critical: Vital signs are unstable and not within normal limits. Patient may be unconscious. Indicators are unfavorable.

Here's what Brian France has to say for himself now.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2020/02/17/Finance/France.aspx

Above all, France, 57, says he’s at peace with how things played out at NASCAR during his tenure. Though he said he misses the people and strategic decisions he was a part of at NASCAR, he’s supportive of the vision his uncle is implementing. He clearly has the comportment and attitude of a man not looking back, but ahead, ready to help underdog companies punch above their weight in the same way he said NASCAR did during its rise in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

“It was a very unfortunate situation and bad judgment on my part,” he said, in his only comments specific to the incident on the day of his arrest. “But you know what? It gave me a chance to take a break. I was already looking at what I was going to do to play a different role in NASCAR anyway, so it accelerated that and gave me a chance to focus on my health and taking care of myself a little bit.”

He said that in early 2018, his family decided to consolidate the NASCAR industry in an effort to jump-start efficiency and transformation. The sanctioning body ultimately purchased International Speedway Corp. for $2 billion, a deal that closed last October, but France said there were other avenues to go about consolidation. He did not further clarify them, but industry executives have long predicted that the sport will eventually consolidate all of its tracks into one entity.

There was also widespread speculation throughout 2018 that the France family was exploring a possible sale of NASCAR. It was working with Goldman Sachs to pursue possible suitors, but nothing became of that. NASCAR President Steve Phelps said earlier this month that NASCAR is not for sale.

France said it was around this time that he contemplated stepping down from his leadership role. He said he was actively talking to and identifying potential replacements before his ouster, but didn’t specify who. NASCAR declined comment on the topic, and it could not be determined through industry sources how serious these discussions were.

Ultimately, Jim France took over, and Brian said he remains in close touch with his uncle, among other NASCAR executives. Jim France attends NASCAR’s races nearly every week, which is a stark difference from Brian, who received heavy criticism over the years from some industry members and fans for rarely being at the track at a time when many felt the sport needed public demonstrations of leadership.

In reflecting on his leadership, France proudly stressed what is easily his greatest accomplishment — signing multiple media deals such as the 10-year, $8.2 billion agreements with Fox Sports and NBC Sports that last through 2024 and solidified NASCAR’s standing in the sports industry. He also was the architect of many of its groundbreaking sponsorship agreements, and the sport continues to benefit from the billions of dollars’ worth of revenue from deals he helped orchestrate. While pointing to that, he was also eager to defend his leadership style and push back on the perceptions that he wasn’t actively engaged in the day-to-day efforts around the sport.

“I understand that kind of criticism, but there is no other sports league that gets any criticism like that,” said France, of the time he spent at the track. “I’ve always found that a bit interesting that no one else asks another commissioner how many football games or practices he made.”

While many in the sport felt France seemed removed from the responsibilities of leadership, France believed that based on the goals he set for the company and his focus on the commercial side, his physical presence at the track was not required on a weekly basis. He took exception to criticism that his absence at the track meant NASCAR wasn’t communicating enough with the industry, noting that NASCAR formed unprecedented councils for tracks, drivers, teams and car manufacturers on his watch.

France said that while Jim France attends more races to match up with his goals, “[It] didn’t match up with mine, so I had to take the criticism on my way to managing the commercial side.”

Did anyone catch Kurt Busch on Price Is Right today? The one Friday I have off and have the Tv on LOL

And i was there, RP tore the track up with a bulldozer

Where did you sit? The front grandstands were so far from the track that sitting in the lower half of them had to offer a really compromised view of the 1/2 mile track. I've always wondered what the rationale was. Overall, the track was really outdated by the time they ultimately decided to blow it up and start over. I had no idea that then track owner Sawyer originally wanted to redevelop the track as a super speedway but the Richmond/Virginia government wouldn't go for it.That would have been interesting to say the least.

I remember this race vividly because back then very few if any cable companies in the Northeast offered TBS. IIRC, basically the only way to get TBS was via old school satellite which one of my dad's race fan friends had. As it worked out this guy would tape the TBS/obscure channel races during this era and give them to my dad to watch. With this race being right after Daytona and it being the last race at the fairgrounds track getting this VHS was a special occasion.

We were behind the flagstand and i think the seats were away from the track because the wall was a armco gaurdrail. I ws living in VA them and tbs was on cable.

Sawyer tried to get big name motel companies to build out in the middle of nowhere and they said heck no....

Random thought here...I really miss the contingency stickers behind the front wheels. That bit of the body covered in colorful stickers screamed race car to me. Guess they don’t pay out on those anymore.

Did I hear right, The Toyota's were penalized for adding bondo to change their car bodies? They sure didn't dominate today's race.

YRB and Body Armor also planning on paying tribute this weekend. Bryant owned a stake in Body Armor.

Barstool is doing a fine job of being authentically into the sport, or whatever nonsense it was that Phelps spouted when asked about NASCAR paying them for coverage.

I don't like Utter's work, but he doesn't deserve the frat boy crap that Barstool revels in.

Last edited:
Barstool is doing a fine job of being authentically into the sport, or whatever nonsense it was that Phelps spouted when asked about NASCAR paying them for coverage.

I don't like Utter's work, but he doesn't deserve the frat boy crap that Barstool revels in.

Jim started it by knocking Barstool. I dont agree with the tactics of barstools rabid childish fanbase, but Utter should probably pause from acting like a dickbag(he's notorious amongst his peers), and take a look at the big picture.

Portnoy is bringing eyes to the races that no one else can.

I think Dave and Jim should each talk to people in the sport about the relevance of each other.. They'll both feel like idiots.

Back
Top Bottom