Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

1679153495963.png

A friend of mine retired last week. He moved out of the area and wanted to downsize a bit. He gave me some things he thought I’d like.
Dale was dead six days after this publication was released.
D1ECD525-B205-4B98-9B5A-7C0FD7B6B83F.jpeg

Reactions: JW1
^Maybe, I thought NASCAR was headed in the right direction last year. Now it seems like they've made a series of bad decisions starting with the Chicago street course announcement.

Would Supercars qualify as "very, very different" from NASCAR?
I think so. NASCAR’s expansion into road racing is still very recent and with his open wheel, GT, and touring car experience has a much different background than NASCAR, but could be competitive right away, as Justin alluded to, at a place like Chicago.

Would Supercars qualify as "very, very different" from NASCAR?
It's one of the closest thing to Nascar racing there is and so is Euro Nascar. Although I would like to see some Supercar driver come here and race, I think the U.K. or Europe will be the area he gets his driver from if I had to guess. I'm thinking rally car driver

On Tuesday's Dale Jr. Download podcast, Jr told Chip Ganassi he was in talks with Jimmie Johnson to start a Cup team. Later Jimmie made the Legacy deal. But listening to the way 'ol Chip spoke to him...I've heard a salesman or two sizing up someone in a similar way...Chip & Junior racing some day? Probably not, but it wouldn't be out of the blue.

On Tuesday's Dale Jr. Download podcast, Jr told Chip Ganassi he was in talks with Jimmie Johnson to start a Cup team. Later Jimmie made the Legacy deal. But listening to the way 'ol Chip spoke to him...I've heard a salesman or two sizing up someone in a similar way...Chip & Junior racing some day? Probably not, but it wouldn't be out of the blue.
Why would Chip sell just to get back in a few years later?

It’s definitely unlikely but perhaps he just needed a break or has reevaluated. Maybe he made a rash decision and is having second thoughts. Again unlikely but possible. Remember he had recently lost Kyle Larson, which while Larson’s release was certainly justified, Larson was pretty much the future of CGR

The story goes that until Justin Marks approached him, he hadn't thought of selling his team. With the Sponsor and driver problems he was having, saying "I'm outta here" made a kind of sense after he was made an offer. Now, testing the waters with Jr, who revealed he was open to a partnership...well...rich guys who own race teams can be VERY unpredictable.

Reactions: Pat
The story goes that until Justin Marks approached him, he hadn't thought of selling his team. With the Sponsor and driver problems he was having, saying "I'm outta here" made a kind of sense after he was made an offer. Now, testing the waters with Jr, who revealed he was open to a partnership...well...rich guys who own race teams can be VERY unpredictable.
Safe to say sponsorship wouldn’t be a problem if he teamed up with Jr.

Kind of random, but anyone been to a race that was selling track merch with previously sponsored race logos on them? Today at the Texas truck race, they had a tent set up with a bunch of old shirts and hats. I bought two hats, two shirts and a couple lanyards and spent $5. I've been to many races at different tracks and it's the first time I've seen a track doing it. Was just curious if this was a one off occurrence or if all tracks do that from time to time.

Loudon did that for years..The tent was across from the Webb bathouse, and would sell leftover race swag from previous Loudon races. Pretty good bargains...
I've seen it at Bristol and Charlotte too. Not sure if it's an SMI only deal ..

Kind of random, but anyone been to a race that was selling track merch with previously sponsored race logos on them? Today at the Texas truck race, they had a tent set up with a bunch of old shirts and hats. I bought two hats, two shirts and a couple lanyards and spent $5. I've been to many races at different tracks and it's the first time I've seen a track doing it. Was just curious if this was a one off occurrence or if all tracks do that from time to time.

I did at a World of Outlaws race before. It’s not a bad idea to discount some things.

This was the track doing it, on track property? I've seen this many times with the 'gypsy' vendors who set up across the street, but not by the track itself.

This was the track doing it, on track property? I've seen this many times with the 'gypsy' vendors who set up across the street, but not by the track itself.

Yeah, this was on the property in the area where all the team merch haulers would typically be during a cup weekend. Maybe they aren't able to send the unsold merchandise back, so getting anything for it is more cost effective versus just ditching it all in the trash.

Loudon did that for years..The tent was across from the Webb bathouse, and would sell leftover race swag from previous Loudon races. Pretty good bargains...
I've seen it at Bristol and Charlotte too. Not sure if it's an SMI only deal ..

That could be. Perhaps they get just their swag from different vendors than the other companies do and aren't able to get any credit for it. I don't know, I should have asked but didn't want to be nosy. But when I saw the sign, I expected things to be maybe 50% off, but instead most was only $1. Seemed like it was a last ditch effort before they dispose of it all.

Everybody talks about a lack of respect out there on the track these days, but when you have a sanctioning body that encourages and rewards a "Checkers or Wreckers" mentality.

Is it really THAT shocking that we'd start seeing drivers race overaggressively?

Back
Top Bottom