Rate The Championship Format

And Hemric deserved to win Xfin?
**** no.
That has nothing to do with what I’m talking about or what you asked. You asked if anyone but Larson winning would be legit. I pointed out if Larson ends up with a bad finish and Denny wins it could be. It’s close between them on non playoff points.

@BobbyFord here how the non playoff points looked coming into the race
7wMWS3H.jpg

Denny would have a chance

Make up 30 points in one race? Only under this cartoon format.
So the way it would work. If Denny has a great day, and Larson has a poor one, he could easily make up 30. I’ll have to wait til after the race for the update to those points. But yes it’s mathematically possible.

So the way it would work. If Denny has a great day, and Larson has a poor one, he could easily make up 30. I’ll have to wait til after the race for the update to those points. But yes it’s mathematically possible.
🥱
its bullschit, man. Just admit it.

Well the real fact is, Larson could still lose the championship without the playoffs. Other than that I agree the playoffs suck. But doesn’t mean I don’t respect facts. Kyle or Denny are the only two who should have a chance to win.
So if Denny gets 1st and Larson finishes 2nd, Denny deserves the best driver of the year award? No, he doesn’t.

I’m saying it didn’t need tweaking.
There have been a lot of negative changes in the sport.
Doesn’t really matter who wins races anymore, doesn’t really matter who they crown champion.
It’s just racing. Watch the cars go in circles and be happy.

That's rich coming from the guy who started this thread and constantly complains about current nascar!

So if Denny gets 1st and Larson finishes 2nd, Denny deserves the best driver of the year award? No, he doesn’t.
I have not once said that, not once. Again, I said it’s not a lock for Kyle under the old system. He could still lose it. He finishes good then it 100% would be his. But a wreck or some problems for Larson and he would likely lose in the full season also

I have not once said that, not once. Again, I said it’s not a lock for Kyle under the old system. He could still lose it. He finishes good then it 100% would be his. But a wreck or some problems for Larson and he would likely lose in the full season also
So if he finishes 2nd he deserves to lose the championship.

There are many other things NASCAR could do to virtually ensure that things come down to the final race. A few ideas:

- Stick with season-long points but award double, triple, or even quadruple points for the races towards the end of the season. (The last race is effectively worth 36x more points now, so that would still be a significant improvement.)

- Have a 3 or 4-race final round between the top 4 drivers. Include the toughest tracks like Darlington, Martinsville, a road course, and maybe one more. At least the champion would have to make it to the final round, then prove himself on some of the most challenging tracks.

- If we absolutely must come down to 1 race, reset the top 4 drivers' points to 5000 + the number of wins that season (or 5000 + wins + top 5s). That would give a slight advantage to whoever has had the best season, but they'd still have to race hard.

Those are just a few ideas; you may have others. The point is, NASCAR could be much more creative with this process to make it both fair and exciting. Unfortunately, I doubt that they're interested in doing so.

I just researched this stat and the results surprised me. This hasn't really changed regardless of the format used.

Number of times the driver with the most wins won the championship:
1-Race Playoff [2014-2021]: 3/8 seasons (38%)
10-Race Chase [2004-2013]: 4/10 seasons (40%)
Full Season [1994-2003]: 4/10 seasons (40%)
Full Season [1984-1993]: 4/10 seasons (40%)

I just researched this stat and the results surprised me. This hasn't really changed regardless of the format used.

Number of times the driver with the most wins won the championship:
1-Race Playoff [2014-2021]: 3/8 seasons (38%)
10-Race Chase [2004-2013]: 4/10 seasons (40%)
Full Season [1994-2003]: 4/10 seasons (40%)
Full Season [1984-1993]: 4/10 seasons (40%)
What’s the data for Xfinity and Trucks

Back
Top Bottom