Rate the Race: All Star - Texas

The purse has nothing to do with it.

Due to the schedule this year, they were throwing a bone to Texas and stuck giving them the ASR, and they probably knew there wasn't much hope for the race. So they came up with the goofy format to keep it entertaining. But why did they go with the low HP, high DF package? Why didn't they go the other way? Because it's irrelevant, the new car is coming next year and they would have nothing to gain. If they removed the restrictor plate aka "tapered spacer" and went with a small spoiler and soft tires and the racing was great, it would make them look bad for not doing this sooner.

But having this on a Sunday evening was the worst decision of all IMO. There was absolutely nothing "special" feeling about this race. It felt like everyone was just begrudgingly going through the motions.
7 -

I actually enjoyed it although I somehow knew at the beginning that despite all the format gimmickry and scrambling, Larson was going to end up winning.

It's my understand that NASCAR offered the All Star to TMS in exchange for being able to schedule NASCAR races at COTA this year.

There's a whole lot of yakking and not many ratings. Must have been a real pip.

I read National Geographics, while 60 Minutes and PBS highlights of Les Mis and Celtic Woman ran in the background. I give that a 7.

Last edited:

Felt like I was watching a cheap product imitating NASCAR. I know the ASR is always gonna be gimmicky and I don’t have a big problem with it, but this was over the top.

2. Yet I'm the idiot who sat there and watched anyway, so joke's on me. Even less horsepower, what felt like 27 stage breaks, and one of the worst tracks on the schedule add up to a steaming pile of cow poop. (I went with cow because it's Texas you see...)

Really there was only one thing I truly enjoyed the whole nite, Elliott's
blocks on Larson with a few to go. Other than that, the fake FOX
orgasmic hollywood build up was so off putting, I give this whole "deal" a

There's a whole lot of yakking and not many ratings. Must have been a real pip.

I read National Geographics, while 60 Minutes and PBS highlights of Les Mis and Celtic Woman ran in the background. I give that a 7.
You passed up Queen Victoria and Prince Alberts wedding?

The worst parts of this series were on display in this one.

10. Best car won, but the only way he wouldn't is if they inverted the field after the checkered.....

I do not know what a lot of you saw, but, I saw some really good close racing. They had to race HARD every lap. This was a Driver talent race from the git go. The best drivers worked their way to the top and fought it out to the end. My Mellon Man kicked ass and won the first heat race to get in, wow he was upon the wheel. Kez was up on the wheel in the last 10 as well as Larson, did you not see that.
I am not worrying about the minutia of how they did what for race stages etc, I do not care as long as they entertain me and put on a good show and they damn sure put on a good show last night.

Larson took all of them to school last night, he is a machine behind the wheel, plus he raced Late model dirts at El Dora all week, he is a true natural born racer for sure.

9 compared to All star races of the last 5 years or so, I give it a 9. The scoring was hard to follow because there wasn't any. I would have liked to have seen a score tally at least after every section break to see who the comers and goers were.

I forgot to add I give a 15 to Sammy Hagar doing "I Can't Drive 55" on the parade laps from the stands. :punkrocke

I forgot to add I give a 15 to Sammy Hagar doing "I Can't Drive 55" on the parade laps from the stands. :punkrocke
I'm not a fan but have seen him live and he puts on a good show. It wouldn't rib me the wrong way if NASCAR did something like this for all of their special races as it helps break the monotony of the ridiculously long pre-race festivities

I'm not a fan but have seen him live and he puts on a good show. It wouldn't rib me the wrong way if NASCAR did something like this for all of their special races as it helps break the monotony of the ridiculously long pre-race festivities
what I don't get is that I and others posted the race start time..not the pre race starting time. They were about 8 minutes long for that. :idunno:

These races can be entertaining as far as “close racing” but when I know the best stock car drivers in the world are handicapped by a car that just needs to be flat footed, it takes away the thrill of seeing such high talent go to waste.

These races can be entertaining as far as “close racing” but when I know the best stock car drivers in the world are handicapped by a car that just needs to be flat footed, it takes away the thrill of seeing such high talent go to waste.
heard this what 300, 400 times? Thanks for the info.

Honestly this is my sentiment as well. Gordon talked about the best stock car drivers in the world, and they're driving cars that are slower than Xfinity and ARCA cars. CUP cars should be the hardest car to drive in the asphalt world, not the easiest.

Have a novel idea, get rid of the side skirts, the splitter, and run the same spoiler as the Xfinity cars....but use unlimited horsepower naturally aspirated 5.0 liter engines.

Judging it as the spectacle it is intended to be, I give it an 8.5. And gimmicks aside, it was some damn good racing. And surprisingly, it wasn't a wreck-fest.

I have never understood the all-star gimmick.

How can I rate an event when I wasn’t even sure when it was over?

No way it handicaped anybody, what it did was make the cream rise to the top way faster than a 500 miler. Give them 1000 HP, and 17 inch tires and you would have gotten the same results, it does not matter, the best will always shine no matter what they are driving.

I didn't see much racing. 6

No way it handicaped anybody, what it did was make the cream rise to the top way faster than a 500 miler. Give them 1000 HP, and 17 inch tires and you would have gotten the same results, it does not matter, the best will always shine no matter what they are driving.
When everyone is flatfooted the level of performance comes much more from how much the engineers can get out of the cars than what the drivers can do. Driver feel and talent means very little when everyone is in and out of the gas at the exact same time. It’s why teams have focused so much on how much a car should be trimmed out or not. Where can the car find speed, not the driver.

If you like a NASCAR that is driven by the engineers, good for you. The other half of the fan base prefers a NASCAR driven by the drivers.

When everyone is flatfooted the level of performance comes much more from how much the engineers can get out of the cars than what the drivers can do. Driver feel and talent means very little when everyone is in and out of the gas at the exact same time. It’s why teams have focused so much on how much a car should be trimmed out or not. Where can the car find speed, not the driver.

If you like a NASCAR that is driven by the engineers, good for you. The other half of the fan base prefers a NASCAR driven by the drivers.
heard this story a hundred times and there is no way of proving that is so. I can say because of the rigorous inspection process, the cars are as equal as possible and that leaves it all on the driver. Try the hate of pack racing next.

Reactions: sdj
IDK what the hell some of them are going to do next year. The underside is identical for all brands, standard suspension parts for all brands. 500 to 600ish HP. :idunno:

Nope, I ain't buying it. It always boils down to the driver, always, does not matter what the situation is when they are in basically the same race cars, except for the name tag on the car. 500 or 1000 HP same same.
The only exception to this is a Rain, fuel mileage and 2.5 mile+ plate race finishes. As we all know a lot of drivers get their one and only win in one of these 3 situations.

Nope, I ain't buying it. It always boils down to the driver, always, does not matter what the situation is when they are in basically the same race cars, except for the name tag on the car. 500 or 1000 HP same same.
The only exception to this is a Rain, fuel mileage and 2.5 mile+ plate race finishes. As we all know a lot of drivers get their one and only win in one of these 3 situations.
Jimmie Johnson has talked about when off throttle time is so limited and lap times when are nearly identical that it makes racing that much more difficult. Kyle Busch has talked about his disappointments with the next gen car taking more out of the driver’s hands. Brad Keselowski has talked about these racing packages being easier to drive and has the potential to turn talent away from NASCAR because drivers want to drive.

HMS representatives talked about finding more horsepower with the RCR alliance. Look who is at the top of the board each week. It’s not all car, but it’s damn close.

Again, different strokes.

Jimmie Johnson has talked about when off throttle time is so limited and lap times when are nearly identical that it makes racing that much more difficult. Kyle Busch has talked about his disappointments with the next gen car taking more out of the driver’s hands. Brad Keselowski has talked about these racing packages being easier to drive and has the potential to turn talent away from NASCAR because drivers want to drive.

HMS representatives talked about finding more horsepower with the RCR alliance. Look who is at the top of the board each week. It’s not all car, but it’s damn close.

Again, different strokes.
you will be able to write a book next year with the new car :idunno:

Back
Top Bottom