Report: NASCAR returning to Nashville in 2021

Matt Weaver and Chase Elliott doing their best to crap on something before a Cup car turns the first lap at the speedway. Brilliant.

Now official

Sucks that Dover is losing a race as a local fan but as a NASCAR fan first it’s great to see a new track on the schedule which will hopefully lead in the coming years to a race at the fairgrounds

Matt Weaver and Chase Elliott doing their best to crap on something before a Cup car turns the first lap at the speedway. Brilliant.
Weaver does his best to crap on everything. And yeah pretty ignorant to be whining when they have never had a cup race there

Feel bad for the Dover local folks or fans of the track seeing them lose a race, but that place and New Hampshire I just could never be entertained during those races (both MTJ home tracks), caught up on some sleep during the races. I’m optimistic about Nashville, would rather have seen a short track but I don’t know any that could be race ready in a year. I’m just wondering if the Fairgrounds do get the go ahead to renovate for Cup does the Super Speedway fall by the wayside again or will there be two dates in Nashville at two different tracks?

Missed this thread, sorry.

I like Dover, and don’t really want to see it lose a weekend. The fact that Nashville Superspeedway failed - even if they were Truck and Xfinity races - during the peak decade of NASCAR wouldn’t seem to bode well for the future. I’m a little confused at the suggestion that this is being done to get Nashville to invest in the Fairgrounds. What compensation does Dover get out of that, how do they benefit? I can see it being used to gauge the interest in the area but it’s obviously a much different track than the Fairgrounds. I can see where Chase’s skepticism comes from.

Dover actually owns this track as well as Gateway in St Louis. I wouldn’t be shocked either to see them alternate between here and Gateway every other year either.

Regardless I know people hate the intermediates but let’s not forget all these were made at a time when Indycar was still incredibly popular.

SMI wants the state of Tennessee to pass a ticket tax to use that money for improvements to FGS. In other words, rich people want the taxpayers to pay for something they (rich people) will make money from.

SMI wants the state of Tennessee to pass a ticket tax to use that money for improvements to FGS. In other words, rich people want the taxpayers to pay for something they (rich people) will make money from.
Wont the state collect tax revenue form the track as well as hotels, resturants, mini marts, beer sales etc.....??

Whoa per Bob Pockrass it is a 4 year deal at Nashville. I won’t lie I love it because of the location. Can camp on Percy Priest Lake, swim during the day, maybe do a night downtown, and then go to the race on Sunday.

It’s why Michigan is so awesome, the camping and lakes around MIS are the bomb. For me this is one thing that seems lost in current NASCAR fans, the experience of making a race a vacation.

Dover actually owns this track as well as Gateway in St Louis. I wouldn’t be shocked either to see them alternate between here and Gateway every other year either.

Regardless I know people hate the intermediates but let’s not forget all these were made at a time when Indycar was still incredibly popular.
Gateway was sold.

It appears Dover will be getting more revenue from the Nashville race than they otherwise would with a second weekend back at home. Probably not the only benefit they’ve been offered.

That sucks for Dover and considering it is independent, I guess it will be similar to Pocono in a double header?

I'm hoping NASCAR does not move too many of the races in the Northeast, there has always been a bit of fandom in that area. It'd be a shame, but I do like the shakeup. I'm still of the mindset Texas needs a date moved, but this will allow some flexability to test new facilities and see fan reaction to it.

This will be right in the heart of Tennessee while Bristol is Northeast Tennessee. I have a feeling this will do well and I hope it does, Nashville has been clamoring for a while about racing being brought back.

Whoa per Bob Pockrass it is a 4 year deal at Nashville. I won’t lie I love it because of the location. Can camp on Percy Priest Lake, swim during the day, maybe do a night downtown, and then go to the race on Sunday.

It’s why Michigan is so awesome, the camping and lakes around MIS are the bomb. For me this is one thing that seems lost in current NASCAR fans, the experience of making a race a vacation.
Percy Priest is a pretty nice lake. I haven't been there in probably 30 years though. I like the way you do your racing trips. You plan other things to do that makes the trip even better then straight in and straight back out. I use to do the same thing when on the drag racing tour. Our schedule use to have us racing in Atlanta and then there was a week off before our next race in Topeka, but instead of driving straight to Topeka and sitting there for a week, I would detour a couple hundred miles out of the way and head to Indy to watch the Indy 500 qualifying.:)

NASCAR twitter ****** sucks at times.

Be happy that NASCAR is listening and trying to shake **** up. We have some great fans, but damn many are truly fickle. They should know this is a test, if sales are where they want to be, the Fairgrounds will be the next grab. If not, might as well not even worry about it.

Well, there's a reason nobody shed any tears when it closed down in the first place. As I said, the facility is nice, (although the cheapskates never put up the second set of garages) but the racing was lackluster at best. With all the effort and money being spent on a car to hopefully put out a better product, NASCAR REALLY needs to think about which TRACKS produce a good product. The days of "build it and they will come" are LONG gone.

Well, there's a reason nobody shed any tears when it closed down in the first place. As I said, the facility is nice, (although the cheapskates never put up the second set of garages) but the racing was lackluster at best. With all the effort and money being spent on a car to hopefully put out a better product, NASCAR REALLY needs to think about which TRACKS produce a good product. The days of "build it and they will come" are LONG gone.
Why dont you let them run a race first and then we will talk.

Fans: More horsepower, less downforce.
NASCAR: Less horsepower, more downforce.

Fans: More short tracks!
NASCAR: Here's another D-shaped Brobdingnagian.

Percy Priest is a pretty nice lake. I haven't been there in probably 30 years though. I like the way you do your racing trips. You plan other things to do that makes the trip even better then straight in and straight back out. I use to do the same thing when on the drag racing tour. Our schedule use to have us racing in Atlanta and then there was a week off before our next race in Topeka, but instead of driving straight to Topeka and sitting there for a week, I would detour a couple hundred miles out of the way and head to Indy to watch the Indy 500 qualifying.:)

Well in my opinion that’s always been the draw to attract non-diehards. We all obviously love the sport, but you promise a cool camping trip and some racing, and you really win people over.

I’ll tell you right now, our game plan has always been arrive Thursday afternoon, do qualifying and then kayak/swim Friday. Go on a hike or something Saturday, attend Xfinity or truck race, swim in the evening and then big race day on Sunday

nashvilless-shorttrack.png

I think this Nashville Superspeedway configuration could work. :idunno:

I rewatched a portion of the last Xfinity race in 2011.

It was a good race, the thing is that with the lack of banking like most other intermediates, passing will be a bit harder. Which is fine and there are two lines that are used. I'm hoping NASCAR is open to changing up the aero package a bit to help compensate, lower downforce here would be better with a bit more power. It has potential to be a good race, I'm hoping it will workout going forward. Just I do not think the current higher downforce would be the best option, especially with the lack of banking.

Staying positive this workouts out, hopefully I can attend honestly. If we want the Fairgrounds, we have to earn it as fans and show the Nashville cabinet we want racing there. Tune in, attend if you can, lets make this work.

Last race:
Nashville - 2011
Rockingham - 2013
Hmmm...

I haven't heard a peep about Rockingham lately. Last thing I've seen come out of that place was that disastrous rock music festival last year that was actually at the dragstrip across the street.

Chase Elliott has a win at Kansas and I'd still be fine with that place being reconfigured into a short track. :idunno:
Just continue to support the cause and you will get what you want.

Nashville is not going to put money into the Fairgrounds for the heck of it. Nashville and SMI are going to be watching this carefully to see the reaction, that's the reason why this contract is in place. Consistency in sales will determine if the Fairgrounds will get the green light or not, I love short tracks as well, but this market has potential. It has to maintain that same excitement to move to the Fairgrounds after renovations are done.

Just continue to support the cause and you will get what you want.

Nashville is not going to put money into the Fairgrounds for the heck of it. Nashville and SMI are going to be watching this carefully to see the reaction, that's the reason why this contract is in place. Consistency in sales will determine if the Fairgrounds will get the green light or not, I love short tracks as well, but this market has potential. It has to maintain that same excitement to move to the Fairgrounds after renovations are done.
Do what? It ain't happening at the fairgrounds. Doesn't make any sense to sign a 4 year deal for cup racing and go 20 miles away for another one.

Do what? It ain't happening at the fairgrounds. Doesn't make any sense to sign a 4 year deal for cup racing and go 20 miles away for another one.

This is a domino in the bigger picture.:
The goal is to have both the speedway and stadium share the same space, but it’s a tight fit, and there are lobbyists on both sides who would rather see just one or the other take the entirety of the space. That doesn’t even include the lobbying for the annual state fair and monthly flea markets.

A source close to the situation tells Autoweek that Dover is giving up a date at the request of Speedway Motorsports in the hopes of convincing Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee to approve the legislation of a ticket tax to cover the costs of renovating the Fairgrounds Speedway.

Like most I’m not a huge fan of the intermediate tracks, but I’m not gonna rush to judgment until they actually race there. Especially since it’s been nearly a decade since NASCAR’s ran a race at Nashville and Cup’s never been there.
I might even try to head up there next year since this will now be the second closest track to me after Talladega.

Back
Top Bottom