Ross Chastain is a Future Star

Good lord folks, some of you here lay on Ross for a few on track occurrences like he is the most evil driver to ever be on a race track, but ignore Denny's BS. Yes, Ross has driven over his head a few time, just a few, but, never intentionally. The crowd at Martinsville BOOED Denny hard from the git go, they stood up and cheered for Ross, nuff said.
The Ross hate is thick up in here.
The wall ride at Martinsville was an epic moment for sure, he had clear open road in front of him and did not wreck anyone, hell of a thing!
I don’t like either Denny tbh, but taking someone out is taking someone out. Like I get you’re a fan of his, so you see things differently when it comes to Ross. But I mean let’s be real here. If a lot of “accidents” he’s caused, if he was on the receiving end of them, you would be rather mad at whoever the drivers were. People throw that word hate around so willy nilly. I don’t HATE anyone, hates a strong strong word, and I laugh whenever people use it. I dislike how he drivers over his head sometimes and completely takes someone out. But I don’t hate him, doubt anyone here does.

You are in the minority, it was an amazing move that will live forever and it put him and his team in the playoffs. Nothing embarrassing about it.
I'm proud to be in the minority then. Sure the move will go down in history and live forever, but it's a horrible look.

When I tune into a race, I like to watch this thing called racing. And much of what I saw Sunday was fantastic racing, but that last lap is a joke and a horrible look for the sport. And a large part of why I lose so much interest once the "playoffs" start. Racing becomes a joke and it's just gimmicks and wrecking everybody (gibbs saturday). Glad you enjoyed it though.

My opinion is the same as arguably the best driver in NASCAR currently, and last years champion. "Not a good look, it's embarrassing". I feel pretty comfortable being on his side.

I don’t like either Denny tbh, but taking someone out is taking someone out. Like I get you’re a fan of his, so you see things differently when it comes to Ross. But I mean let’s be real here. If a lot of “accidents” he’s caused, if he was on the receiving end of them, you would be rather mad at whoever the drivers were. People throw that word hate around so willy nilly. I don’t HATE anyone, hates a strong strong word, and I laugh whenever people use it. I dislike how he drivers over his head sometimes and completely takes someone out. But I don’t hate him, doubt anyone here does.
Oh please, Ross tangled with two of the whiniest drivers on the circuit, and those two attract fellow whiners. They both talked a big story and both retaliated and you and the gerbils continue to fan the drama flames that are non-existent. It's left Denny standing by his car with his thumb up his ass eliminated, Elliott is over it, and Ross is racing happily with a first year team of all things in the final 4 going for a championship and Denny fans reduced to bleeding with their poor mouths all over social media lol.

I'm proud to be in the minority then. Sure the move will go down in history and live forever, but it's a horrible look.

When I tune into a race, I like to watch this thing called racing. And much of what I saw Sunday was fantastic racing, but that last lap is a joke and a horrible look for the sport. And a large part of why I lose so much interest once the "playoffs" start. Racing becomes a joke and it's just gimmicks and wrecking everybody (gibbs saturday). Glad you enjoyed it though.

My opinion is the same as arguably the best driver in NASCAR currently, and last years champion. "Not a good look, it's embarrassing". I feel pretty comfortable being on his side.

Yep he said that and also, lest you forget, Larson tried that at Darlington and couldn't make it work.
Just sour grapes from a great Driver. I am also a Larson fan.

Yep and Millions all over the world are talking about it and saying how amazing it was. All the Major networks, ESPN had it in the play of the week, F1 drivers are talking about it, etc...... I dont give a crap what Larson said or Joey Logano they are just 2 people who have an opinion and btw Larson tried it at Darlington and couldnt pull it off so he can be a hypocrite all he wants.

It may he a horrible look to you but it was a banner day for the sport. I've been doing this and watching this for over almost 50 years and its gonna go up there with the Allison/ Yarborough fight which catapulted NASCAR to another level, You probably think that was a bad look too. lol. Give em Hell Ross, you are gonna go down in History and it wont be for embarrassing the Sport brother.

One problem whiners have is that they think if a driver says something, that makes it ok to pound their chests and say my driver said so in so.
The problem is that he is only a driver, he does not make policy and neither do the whiners that follow him. It's just hot air and flapping gums. In Larson's case he goes from champion to outside looking in in one year. Less mouth and more concentration. He has done enough embarrassing himself booted out of the series, can't make the final 4 to be worried about the Nascar series being embarrassed.

Yep he said that and also, lest you forget, Larson tried that at Darlington and couldn't make it work.
Just sour grapes from a great Driver. I am also a Larson fan.
no sour grapes from me, or presumably Larson. Many drivers said negative things about it.

Yep and Millions all over the world are talking about it and saying how amazing it was. All the Major networks, ESPN had it in the play of the week, F1 drivers are talking about it, etc...... I dont give a crap what Larson said or Joey Logano they are just 2 people who have an opinion and btw Larson tried it at Darlington and couldnt pull it off so he can be a hypocrite all he wants.

It may he a horrible look to you but it was a banner day for the sport. I've been doing this and watching this for over almost 50 years and its gonna go up there with the Allison/ Yarborough fight which catapulted NASCAR to another level, You probably think that was a bad look too. lol. Give em Hell Ross, you are gonna go down in History and it wont be for embarrassing the Sport brother.
Yep, I'm in the minority and I'm good with that.

and no, I love the Allison/Yarborough fight. That was 2 competitors who laid it all out there and wrecked each other, and fought over it.

Chastain did a no talent move just ramming full throttle into the wall. Sounds like we'll have to agree to disagree.

One problem whiners have is that they think if a driver says something, that makes it ok to pound their chests and say my driver said so in so.
The problem is that he is only a driver, he does not make policy and neither do the whiners that follow him. It's just hot air and flapping gums. In Larson's case he goes from champion to outside looking in in one year. Less mouth and more concentration. He has done enough embarrassing himself booted out of the series, can't make the final 4 to be worried about the Nascar series being embarrassed.
Lol, I guess your calling me a whiner. That's cute. Also, no pounding of my chest. Simply stated my opinion, and I got attacked by the same 2 predictable posters for daring to have a different thought. Not surprising, but I expected it.

Lol, I guess your calling me a whiner. That's cute. Also, no pounding of my chest. Simply stated my opinion, and I got attacked by the same 2 predictable posters for daring to have a different thought. Not surprising, but I expected it.
Nah we need the whiners. Squeeze them a bit and they actually squeak and go right into victim mode

Yep, I'm in the minority and I'm good with that.

and no, I love the Allison/Yarborough fight. That was 2 competitors who laid it all out there and wrecked each other, and fought over it.

Chastain did a no talent move just ramming full throttle into the wall. Sounds like we'll have to agree to disagree.
" No talent move" Thats laughable bro.

no sour grapes from me, or presumably Larson. Many drivers said negative things about it.
Keep on topic, never said you had sour grapes.

Yes you are entitled to your opinion, wrong as it is in this instance, you are still entitled to let us know your opinion and we appreciate your comments and view.

"Many drivers said negative things about it".
Sure they did, because Chastain did it and they did not think of it or had the cojones to do it, so yeah, they are going to slam it, if ya did not see that coming, well..

FWIW - Chastains move on the last lap was "BRILLIANT", just ask the thousands of fans that were in the grandstands that gave him a standing cheering ovation compared to Denny's boo fest.

(please remember,, this is a forum and we can comment as much as we want about any topic written here)

Keep on topic, never said you had sour grapes.

Yes you are entitled to your opinion, wrong as it is in this instance, you are still entitled to let us know your opinion and we appreciate your comments and view.

"Many drivers said negative things about it". Sure they did, because Chastain did it and they did not think of it or had the cojones to do it, so yeah, they are going to slam it, if ya did not see that coming, well..

FWIW - Chastains move on the last lap was "BRILLIANT", just ask the thousands of fans that were in the grandstands that gave him a standing cheering ovation compared to Denny's boo fest.

(please remember,, this is a forum and we can comment as much as we want about any topic written here)

I was clarifying that I didn't have sour grapes, as your initial post was somewhat confusing.

Lol well an opinion can be wrong if there is something factual or real to track. So if I said "in my opinion, the Dow Jones was down 12% in the month of October alone", that would be incorrect as there is a verifiable fact that the Dow Jones was actually up in the month of October alone. Me stating my opinion that I didn't like the move and that I find it embarrassing is not incorrect, just simply one that you do not like, and that's fair.

I could see your arguments for why drivers may have said negative things about it. My counter would be, that they know what he did was no talent, reckless, dangerous and not racing in the traditional sense. If not addressed, next year at Martinsville you'll see all 36 cars sail off into turn 3 at full throttle and ride the wall.

Yep, and the NASCAR fans were giving Kenseth a standing ovation in 2015 when he intentionally wrecked the leader of the race. I wasn't on this forum then, but needless to say I was 100% against that as well.

Yes I’m a huge Ross fan. He grew up learning to race just up the road in Punta Gorda, and hails from Alva, which is our rural boundary to Fort Myers FL. He’s exactly who you see…the hardest working guy, who’s never had a silver spoon or elevator ride to the top of the sport. He raced hard, scraping and clawing to keep going forward. He and his wife drove major miles, slept in the car, took every opportunity to race a car, and prove himself. This season he’s had moments when he pushed too hard, moments when he doubted himself, but he kept refining his work and getting better. Now he’s in the championship.

Our region is still reeling from Hurricane Ian. Headlines are long gone but our beach is devastated. Lots of folks without homes, or with heavy damage, even in the city and in Cape Coral northward. We’re pulling for Ross just like those folks in the movie “Rocky” cheered on their own…against all odds. His story is ours.

I get that some opinions are different on his legendary rim ride. So be it. Regardless, it was the most bad azzz racing move I’ve ever seen…the stuff of legends. Ross Chastain is a racer, a true wheelman, and he will be a major player for many years in this sport.

Sunday…Ross gets to compete for a title. As Justin Marks said, Ross has a hunger to succeed. His team is hungry. Call them the underdogs…they love it!

Please expand for me and others, how much talent it took to take your hands off the wheel, and keep it full throttle as you ride the wall.

Man, when he came off the curve to the straight it bounced him left a hair and he caught it and whipped Denny's ass to the line, look at the video from the flag stand, he was all over the wheel and kept it under control, kinda hard to do with "your hands off the wheel", one hell of a driving job.

Man, when he came off the curve to the straight it bounced him left a hair and he caught it and whipped Denny's ass to the line, look at the video from the flag stand, he was all over the wheel and kept it under control, kinda hard to do with "your hands off the wheel", one hell of a driving job.
sure he had to grab the wheel after he rode the wall.

as for in the corner...

"I let go of the wheel,” the Trackhouse Racing driver continued

Funny we state an opinion of a result and then we comment on it and then someone disagrees with said comment, but, oh wait a minute, you are not allowed to challenge their comments. Interesting to say the least.

FWIW - Chastains move on the last lap was "BRILLIANT"
There is a fine line between that, and insulting people. You do a good job of debating, I’ve never had an issue with you despite having different opinions on things. Because you do it the right way, and I respect that. Not everyone does that however. That’s where the issue lies imo.

congrats on ignoring the rest of the post of mine

I read the rest of your comment in it's entirety, wall street and all, just wasn't worthy of bringing forward for this reply.

as for in the corner...

In my comment, I stated when he came off the wall.

Which race was this, and what were the circumstances? For some reason that's not ringing a bell
You expect me to remember all the details? :idunno:;)
I'll try but it was at least thirty years ago when I was in my mid-fifties.
Mast did a cross-over pass mid-turns three and four. Can't jog my memory enough to recollect whether it was the spring or fall race or exact year and that's the best I can do for ya for details but he was driving the Skoal #1 car for Jackson.
At the time I was doing p.r. work with a Winston Cup race team and my Bride and I were motor homing to every race and after doing that for six years the racing incidents of note all begin to run together so please excuse the fuzziness.
It was one of those deals where I remember the move and catalogued the maneuver but over time, like an old Polaroid photo, the details are faded. I just recall what a great move by Mast and always considered it one of the better ones of many observed in sixty-four years of following the sport.

Hope that satisfies your curiosity.

I read the rest of your comment in it's entirety, wall street and all, just wasn't worthy of bringing forward for this reply.

In my comment, I stated when he came off the wall.
well yea... by definition you'd have to grab the wheel after riding the wall.

I guess we'll disagree on how much talent it would require to keep the car going straight.

well yea... by definition you'd have to grab the wheel after riding the wall.

I guess we'll disagree on how much talent it would require to keep the car going straight.

"I guess we'll disagree on how much talent it would require to keep the car going straight".

Not at all, it takes a ton of talent and he proved he had the talent to pull it off with minimal car damage. Takes a hell of a driver to to do that and Ross did it.
If you see the lay out of the wall as it comes off the corner it juts out just a bit at the end of the corner, when Ross got to that point he was in total control as it bounced back off the point where the wall juts just a bit and then returns to pretty much smooth straight, hell of a driving job.

A written rule isn’t necessary.

A car being driven at full throttle with no hands on the wheel, traveling in a higher gear and at a much higher rate of speed than its competitors is out of control.

3046A101-7AB6-426B-AD63-BF48D3486FC4.jpeg

Please expand for me and others, how much talent it took to take your hands off the wheel, and keep it full throttle as you ride the wall.
Maybe it didn't require talent. Maybe you or I could have done it. Maybe any of the more talented drivers could have made up five positions in less than a quarter-mile in some other way.

No one else dared. Talent isn't everything; there are other ways to win a race. There's such a thing as outsmarting more talented opponents. Ask the 30-odd drivers on the outside looking in if they'd trade some talent for Chastain's ride yesterday and the championship shot.

Wasn't it King Richard who said he'd rather be lucky than good?

Maybe it didn't require talent. Maybe you or I could have done it. Maybe any of the more talented drivers could have made up five positions in less than a quarter-mile in some other way.

No one else dared. Talent isn't everything; there are other ways to win a race. There's such a thing as outsmarting more talented opponents. Ask the 30-odd drivers on the outside looking in if they'd trade some talent for Chastain's ride yesterday and the championship shot.

Wasn't it King Richard who said he'd rather be lucky than good?
I don't disagree that it was daring. And it worked, and it was legal for him to do, kudos for him taking advantage.

I was just simply stating that the move didn't require any talent, and Spotter informed me that's laughable. Yet when I asked him for details he was unable to provide them.

as for in the corner...

I cant read that article, what context did he use " i let go of the wheel" because anyone who has every worked on one of these things and held the steering wheel while you were pushing the car lets say to tech knows if you let go of that wheel it will take a hard left so if Ross let completely go he would have come off that wall.

Back
Top Bottom