Ross Chastain is a Future Star

I cant read that article, what context did he use " i let go of the wheel" because anyone who has every worked on one of these things and held the steering wheel while you were pushing the car lets say to tech knows if you let go of that wheel it will take a hard left so if Ross let completely go he would have come off that wall.
No when your going as fast as he was. Physics took over and the wall guided him around. Hand off the wheel and the car still stays on the wall, due to the speed he was traveling.

Walking and pushing the car, yea somone would need to steer it, going 2mph. But 130mph into a 180 degree corner, physics kept the car on the wall.

Still waiting for your explanation of all the talent the move required.

No when your going as fast as he was. Physics took over and the wall guided him around. Hand off the wheel and the car still stays on the wall, due to the speed he was traveling.

Walking and pushing the car, yea somone would need to steer it, going 2mph. But 130mph into a 180 degree corner, physics kept the car on the wall.

Still waiting for your explanation of all the talent the move required.
Cars are built to turn left and would have come off the wall at the apex. The talent to do it is being able to control your car while it wants to come off the wall, some thing you could never do. Ever, never.

Cars are built to turn left and would have come off the wall at the apex. The talent to do it is being able to control your car while it wants to come off the wall, some thing you could never do. Ever, never.
You obviously never took a physics class.

You honestly think that if Ross's hands were off the wheel (which according to him, they were) going full throttle at martinsville, the car would have come off the wall in the apex!? Talk about laughable.

Since you can’t read the article. (I can’t either so maybe isn’t the same exact interview idk) I’ll help you out(not trying to be an ass so sorry if I come off that way, not meaning to) but he said something about it in this video

You honestly think that if Ross's hands were off the wheel (which according to him, they were) going full throttle at martinsville, the car would have come off the wall!? Talk about laughable.
Another grandstand race car driver, you guys are a dime a dozen.

Since you can’t read the article. (I can’t either so maybe isn’t the same exact interview idk) I’ll help you out(not trying to be an ass so sorry if I come off that way, not meaning to) but he said something about it in this video

I dont think they were entirely in his lap, more like loosely applied to keep it on the wall and his car had to travel the distance down the front stretch and thats not done with no hands on the wheel

You honestly think that if Ross's hands were off the wheel (which according to him, they were) going full throttle at martinsville, the car would have come off the wall in the apex!? Talk about laughable.
You obviously have never built a race car

You obviously have never built a race car
Actually i have.

Again, we're talking about the apex of the corner at Martinsville. There is exactly a 0% chance the car comes off the wall at full speed in the corner.

What did you build?

I've built and put together Margay, Tony Kart, Birel go-karts. I've helped my buddy build his sprint car he races at Knoxville. I've done the same on late model at a local dirt track in Marshalltown and Boone

All of that is purely besides the point and a deflection, which is predictable.

Chastain's car would not automatically come off the wall in the apex of the Martinsville Turn 3-4 because of the stagger. The sheer speed and physics of the speed he was carrying forced the car into the wall, and kept him there. I don't know how to help you further.

I think I'll have to leave it there as this nonsense with you dragged on far too long

I've built and put together Margay, Tony Kart, Birel go-karts. I've helped my buddy build his sprint car he races at Knoxville. I've done the same on late model at a local dirt track in Marshalltown and Boone

All of that is purely besides the point and a deflection, which is predictable.

Chastain's car would not automatically come off the wall in the apex of the Martinsville Turn 3-4 because of the stagger. The sheer speed and physics of the speed he was carrying forced the car into the wall, and kept him there. I don't know how to help you further.

I think I'll have to leave it there as this nonsense with you dragged on far too long
Stagger? They only run about an inch, Its the caster,camber and toe that help these cars turn. I dont need you to tell me anything.

I thought it was an absolutely sick, jaw-dropping move that I can’t believe actually worked but I’m not sure I want to see it again. Now that it’s been proven to work once other drivers will try to exploit it at some points and that’s when things get goofy. Absolutely incredible move that I’m okay letting Ross own to himself for good. Which is okay, plenty of loopholes get closed in sport because someone pulled off the unthinkable.

The way he timed it and positioned the car was impressive. It’s been attempted at least once before and never panned out prior. Talent.

Forget who said it yesterday but now that it’s been done spotters will think to look for it and spot accordingly. I can’t imagine we see it work again.

Forget who said it yesterday but now that it’s been done spotters will think to look for it and spot accordingly. I can’t imagine we see it work again.
I was one of them. The car was undrivable anymore after two corners. Everybody drives Martinsville hugging the inside curb so for that time Chastain had "the element of surprise" in his favor. Everybody will be looking for it on the last lap from now on. Highly unlikely we ever get to see that last lap move be successful again.

So how do you block somebody coming around the wall going 20mph faster than you?

The same way they block somebody with a run or a potential one

I could be wrong but that almost seems as ballsy as riding along the wall like he did. Not to mention whoever moves up there to block that move just opened themselves up to lose a spot or spots by others behind them that stay low. Only see it working if there's a leader way out front and somebody makes a charge on the wall but still.

Screenshot_20221101-172933_Instagram.jpg

Saw this today

I was one of them. The car was undrivable anymore after two corners. Everybody drives Martinsville hugging the inside curb so for that time Chastain had "the element of surprise" in his favor. Everybody will be looking for it on the last lap from now on. Highly unlikely we ever get to see that last lap move be successful again.
My thoughts exactly.

Lets be honest here, not many people would have the balls to do what RC did. Balls+skill=exciting racecar driver

I love that Ross' spotter's voice never changes through the run.

"Need two spots here ... <run starts> ... keep coming ... keep coming ... hang on, man ... checkered flag ... nice and easy ... keep it up against the fence there"

Same tone all the way through. Guy never bats an eye until long after it's over, like he sees this twice a day. @Spotter22 , you gotta love that.

"Need two spots here ... <run starts> ... keep coming ... keep coming ... hang on, man ... checkered flag ... nice and easy ... keep it up against the fence there"

Same tone all the way through. Guy never bats an eye until long after it's over, like he sees this twice a day. @Spotter22 , you gotta love that.
I absolutely love it. He stayed focused and kept his composure. He probably was looking at Denny, then Ross, then Denny,then Ross and realized holy crap we might do this! " Keep it on the fence" was probably the easiest call he made all day. I'm sure when he got home and had time to reflect it probably hit him that he was part of the greatest move in NASCAR history.

"Need two spots here ... ... keep coming ... keep coming ... hang on, man ... checkered flag ... nice and easy ... keep it up against the fence there"

I love Ross's voice never changing as well.

"Talk to me boys"

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Remember when Larson tried it at Darlington; it was bumpy, banging around and nothing like the slap shot speed maintained by Ross. Probably helped being Martinsville that the turns have very little banking. Still, Ross had to enter at just the right spot to make it work.

Reactions: sdj
Seems like so much could go wrong I don't think this will be a new thing. I know these are the best race drivers there are but this is a huge risk move. Chastain could have just as easily wadded his car and several others in this attempt. How something on that car didn't hang on a seam or something against that wall just seems like an incredible stroke of luck.

How something on that car didn't hang on a seam or something against that wall just seems like an incredible stroke of luck.

Yeah, I'm not sure how the wall is constructed at Martinsville, but I thought of that too. I think that's the reason NASCAR will make a rule to prevent this from happening in the future. They don't want a wall destroyed and the safety risks that come with it.

Looks like it's safer barrier all the around the whole track but safer barrier doesn't look like a smooth surface. I dunno if they need a rule or not. They'll do what they're gonna do. I just thought it was the boldest and craziest winning move I think I've ever seen in a race before.

Seems like so much could go wrong I don't think this will be a new thing. I know these are the best race drivers there are but this is a huge risk move. Chastain could have just as easily wadded his car and several others in this attempt. How something on that car didn't hang on a seam or something against that wall just seems like an incredible stroke of luck.
That's what makes it so special to me. Nobody would have thought of doing that much less tried something that iffy lol.

Back
Top Bottom