Ross Chastain is a Future Star

I think the whining and teeth gnashing over Chastain's move makes the whole thing even more hilarious. That look on Denny's face when he was being interviewed was priceless. I hope Chastain wins in Phoenix. Article below talks about the physics:

thank you for the article that explained the physics, proving I was right. It was a good read!

Does anyone else have a really strong inkling that Ross is going to win it all on Sunday?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I could see it. He ran well there earlier this year.

But I have money on Logano to win it that I placed earlier this year, so for selfish reasons I'm cheering for him.

Screenshot_20221102-105514_Instagram.jpg

I am now a Chastain fan...
I've been a fan since 2019, the year after the DC Solar sponsorship imploded. Ross showed his grit and character by piecing together a schedule that included...

1. All the cup races, backmarker team.
2. Most of the Xfinity races, mostly backmarker.
3. All truck races, 2nd in championship.
4. Drove his own motorhome from race to race!

BUT I haven't always liked how he drives. The worst was at COTA this year, wrecking Allmendinger and Bowman to win the race. NASCAR should have DQ'd him for that move. Just my opinion, but I feel strongly about it.

The people whining about Chastain rim riding at Martinsville, calling it embarrassing, are wrong IMO. The move at COTA was the embarrassment.

Yeah i felt like the Denny thing has been a bit overblown and the 1 has been cleaner in the playoffs. Truex didn’t deserve to get wrecked either though.

I've been a fan since 2019, the year after the DC Solar sponsorship imploded. Ross showed his grit and character by piecing together a schedule that included...

1. All the cup races, backmarker team.
2. Most of the Xfinity races, mostly backmarker.
3. All truck races, 2nd in championship.
4. Drove his own motorhome from race to race!

BUT I haven't always liked how he drives. The worst was at COTA this year, wrecking Allmendinger and Bowman to win the race. NASCAR should have DQ'd him for that move. Just my opinion, but I feel strongly about it.

The people whining about Chastain rim riding at Martinsville, calling it embarrassing, are wrong IMO. The move at COTA was the embarrassment.

It's hard not to like someone that has had the path to the Cup series that he has had, it's great to see everything that is happening for him right now.

I can respect the COTA opinion, although I slightly disagree because Allmendinger was the first to initiate contact into his quarter panel there on the last lap while he was going for his first Cup career win.

I didn't love the way Ross got that one I must admit, but I didn't have a problem with it since AJ put his backend out of shape first. I see where you're coming from on simply wiping someone out because they moved you though (I would guess that was a little more extra than Ross was wanting on that one).

It's hard not to like someone that has had the path to the Cup series that he has had, it's great to see everything that is happening for him right now.

I can respect the COTA opinion, although I slightly disagree because Allmendinger was the first to initiate contact into his quarter panel there on the last lap while he was going for his first Cup career win.

I didn't love the way Ross got that one I must admit, but I didn't have a problem with it since AJ put his backend out of shape first. I see where you're coming from on simply wiping someone out because they moved you though (I would guess that was a little more extra than Ross was wanting on that one).

I hear what you're saying, Turtle, but I disagree. The contact Allmendinger initiated was similar to what Brandon Jones did last Saturday to pass Ty Gibbs... rubbin' is racin' and Dinger even had the inside position in that corner. Dinger barely moved him. Minor incidental contact, a racing deal.

What Chastain did at COTA was the same as what Ty Gibbs did to Jones at Martinsville. To me, you can't approve of what Chastain did at COTA without also approving of Gibbs wrecking Jones. I hate both moves and I believe NASCAR needs to halt intentional wrecking of competitors, full stop.

P.S. - Ross drove a very impressive race at COTA, right up to that last corner of the last lap. I didn't know he was that good. But he lost it at the end, at least for me.

I totally get you. Ross has become annoying. A lot like Joey early in his Penske days etc. And I think this will be a short phase.

I think Ty is the real enemy.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I’ve never in my life booed a driver at the track. I like Kyle Busch, and I’m indifferent on all the other “villains.” But you can be sure I’m gonna boo the hell out of Ty Gibbs.

I hear what you're saying, Turtle, but I disagree. The contact Allmendinger initiated was similar to what Brandon Jones did last Saturday to pass Ty Gibbs... rubbin' is racin' and Dinger even had the inside position in that corner. Dinger barely moved him. Minor incidental contact, a racing deal.

What Chastain did at COTA was the same as what Ty Gibbs did to Jones at Martinsville. To me, you can't approve of what Chastain did at COTA without also approving of Gibbs wrecking Jones. I hate both moves and I believe NASCAR needs to halt intentional wrecking of competitors, full stop.

P.S. - Ross drove a very impressive race at COTA, right up to that last corner of the last lap. I didn't know he was that good. But he lost it at the end, at least for me.
Ross didn’t dump his teammate that needed to win to advance in the playoffs. If that’s the 9 car in front of Ty Gibbs it’s nowhere near as egregious. Can’t really compare the two.

FWIW, What Melon Man did at COTA was alright by me, Dinger started it with a hail Mary corner entry and Ross finished it for the win. Bowman was up in there driving over his head as well. JMHO

I try calling out this behavior from posters on here all the time. It’s like I always say. Drivers they like can get away with it, while ones they dislike can’t. It’s really funny to me. I guess you could say Ty already had the habit of it at the time, where Ross didn’t. Which is why I didn’t exactly have a problem with what happened at COTA, but looking back on it, and seeing him drive over his head since then, it truly is a bad look. But Ross fans don’t care.

With regards to Chastain's crazy move some of you guys suggested in the future it could be blocked.

I saw an article last night and if I can dig it up again at some point I'll try to post it. The main thing from it was they estimated Chastain's speed on that wall ride turns 3 & 4 to be almost 50 mph faster than the normal paced cars.

There's just no way to block that move. There's no good outcome from even trying to get in front of another car while you're doing about 75mph and they're around 125mph. That move can't be defended.

I guess we'll see next year, if Nascar doesn't ban it.

I haven't really cared about the Homestead Phoenix Bowl since NASCAR switched to that format several years ago, and I've stopped watching NASCAR temporarily until they make the new cars safer. Still, part of me wants to watch on Sunday just to see if ol' Melon Man bulldozes the other three Phoenix Bowl contenders and turns Mr. Worldwide into Mr. NASCAR Champion. YEAAAAAAAAOW!

giphy.gif

Ought to be great seeing the entire field riding the wall on the last lap at Phoenix.

There's no rule against this because no one ever dreanmed it would work. It's a great piece of folklore, but I think in the off season nascar will make a rule against it. The potential for that to go really wrong is just too much.

Great fun though.

When I was in Phoenix, his merch hauler was packed. Loved it. People were excited about him until he got into Chase's left rear. Ross was great with the fans. He was next to Bell in the garage. Tell ya what....Justin Marks is a top notch guy as well. Great with everybody who approached him. Trackhouse is a great team....could even be better with Toyota. ;)

When I was in Phoenix, his merch hauler was packed. Loved it. People were excited about him until he got into Chase's left rear. Ross was great with the fans. He was next to Bell in the garage. Tell ya what....Justin Marks is a top notch guy as well. Great with everybody who approached him. Trackhouse is a great team....could even be better with Toyota. ;)

Chase drove his car into Ross front right fender, Ross did not move. That is a fact recorded in the video of the incident.

Good thing Martin is a nice guy. This oh shucks stuff in some instances, not all.

Chase drove his car into Ross front right fender, Ross did not move. That is a fact recorded in the video of the incident.
Okay, the crowd loved him until his right front merged with Chase's left rear....and then the boos rained down. NASAR fans are fickle. Would have been better had they thrown their new gear onto the track.

Okay, the crowd loved him until his right front merged with Chase's left rear....and then the boos rained down. NASAR fans are fickle. Would have been better had they thrown their new gear onto the track.
Objection, Your Honor. Learned counsel assumes the people booing were the same ones cheering earlier. I submit a minority of Elliott fans were among those cheering, and the majority of those booing.

Back
Top Bottom