Ryan Newman and Matt Kenseth receive playoff waivers.

it doesn't end, it is called a waiver

And now, if NASCAR is the least bit worried about credibility (it's hard to argue that they are) you have just lowered the threshold to be granted a waiver considerably.

well there ya go, you can whine about Nascar not giving Newman a clearance, and Nascar being responsible for bankrupting the 42 car next. As it is, a much better outcome has happened.

well there ya go, you can whine about Nascar not giving Newman a clearance, and Nascar being responsible for bankrupting the 42 car next. As it is, a much better outcome has happened.

First off, I never said ANYTHING about Newman getting a waiver. I may not like the waiver rule, but at least Newman's is based off the supposed reason for HAVING a waiver. Second, where is the evidence that CGR or ANY of the sponsors were going anywhere if the 42 wasn't allowed to compete for the championship? THEY made a 100% optional decision based off what they felt they needed to do, and now they are all just trying have their cake and eat it too.

First off, I never said ANYTHING about Newman getting a waiver. I may not like the waiver rule, but at least Newman's is based off the supposed reason for HAVING a waiver. Second, where is the evidence that CGR or ANY of the sponsors were going anywhere if the 42 wasn't allowed to compete for the championship? THEY made a 100% optional decision based off what they felt they needed to do, and now they are all just trying have their cake and eat it too.
now you got your little shouting thing going. You really don't understand how things work. I'm no expert, but when sponsors sign on with a pretty top team, they have an expectation of making the playoffs. Part of the rule also excludes "ringers" becoming playoff eligible. Very minor that a driver can't skip races, sponsors don't like that. Ganassi and his sponsors are not to blame for the actions of a driver, their intent was to compete for the whole season and they should be allowed to do so, and they are. Got it? probably not.

If that's the reasoning or the excuse, just ditch the Drivers Points and have the championship be for Owners Points only. That way drivers can get changed at will and team owners and sponsors are not at risk if a guy gets injured/becomes stupid on the internet.

This is all irrelevant anyway because Kenseth is not getting a win in a Ganassi car unless it's some place like Daytona or Talladega where quality of car is irrelevant.

If that's the reasoning or the excuse, just ditch the Drivers Points and have the championship be for Owners Points only. That way drivers can get changed at will and team owners and sponsors are not at risk if a guy gets injured/becomes stupid on the internet.
I don't think the sponsors would go for that, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me anyway.

Tough times, and they all have to work together to keep the show on the road.
I've changed my mind on the issue of Kenseth getting a waiver. On Monday when Kenseth was first announced to drive the 42, I posted that Newman should get a waiver but Kenseth should not, for the same reasons cited by @gnomesayin in post #2 above. But I am persuaded by @StandOnIt's argument... times are tough... sponsors are scarce... race teams are at risk... gotta keep the show on the road. And just about all sponsors regard "make the playoffs" as a really, really big deal... usually with bonus payments tied to it.

I believe in following one's principles as a beacon to guide decisions and actions. That is really important to me. However, in this case and in these fragile times, an exception to the rule seems proper to me.

This is all irrelevant anyway because Kenseth is not getting a win in a Ganassi car unless it's some place like Daytona or Talladega where quality of car is irrelevant.
The Ganassi cars are a good bit better than you are giving them credit for.

I've changed my mind on the issue of Kenseth getting a waiver. On Monday when Kenseth was first announced to drive the 42, I posted that Newman should get a waiver but Kenseth should not, for the same reasons cited by @gnomesayin in post #2 above. But I am persuaded by @StandOnIt's argument... times are tough... sponsors are scarce... race teams are at risk... gotta keep the show on the road. And just about all sponsors regard "make the playoffs" as a really, really big deal... usually with bonus payments tied to it.

I believe in following one's principles as a beacon to guide decisions and actions. That is really important to me. However, in this case and in these fragile times, an exception to the rule seems proper to me.

If the situation is so damn precarious, why not just let Larson keep driving the car? It's a crisis don't you know, I'm sure the customers of all those sponsors will understand........ If you ditch your principles when the going gets tough, then you don't have much for principles. It's like the old saying: "The definition of integrity is doing the right thing when nobody is looking".

Larson’s grievous error and subsequent suspension / firing has nothing to do with the pandemic.

His corporate sponsors and the sanctioning body actually have principles that matter. Get used to the new normal ... schedules, rules and procedures are now necessarily fluid.

If the situation is so damn precarious, why not just let Larson keep driving the car? It's a crisis don't you know, I'm sure the customers of all those sponsors will understand........ If you ditch your principles when the going gets tough, then you don't have much for principles. It's like the old saying: "The definition of integrity is doing the right thing when nobody is looking".
Pushing hard on the troll button. This is getting ridiculous.

"Hello, is this Matt Kenseth? Say, um, there's a guy that really, really believes you shouldn't be contending for the title - no, his name is actually not Joey Logano, as a matter of fact! So yeah, uh, just to please this fan, we're gonna ask you to step aside. Nothing personal, just family business. Thank you!"

I care less about this than I do iRacing.

Whomever wins the championship this year, it will be tainted with a * beside his name...

Are the checks smaller if you're a feeble excuse for a racecar driver who lucked into a championship because format?

Back
Top Bottom